The importance of voting for Jose Gardea

  • Jack Fenn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24 10:05 PM
      Absentee ballots are arriving, and choices for City Council will be made.

      Over the course of this election cycle, the March 5 primary and the contest since, there have been many opportunities to compare Jose Gardea to his opponent, Gil Cedillo, but -- more important -- to see him as the outstanding successor to Ed Reyes. I have the good fortune to have spent some significant time with Jose discussing a variety of issues many of us hold dear in Northeast LA. He recently came to our house to meet some of my neighbors so they could know firsthand what Jose is about. He is honest. He doesn't dodge questions. He is intimately acquainted with the nuts-and-bolts of city government (and, critically, its finances) , which means he is already atop the learning curve -- something someone with a dozen years out of the area does not have.

      Let me lay out a few reasons why Jose Gardea, with two decades of service to this City, should be our choice for LA City Council. (Don't forget that whoever wins will likely hold office for 12 years.) As a hands-on participant in resolving the City's fiscal emergency, he is in a key position to understand and fix the City's finances. No one coming from the outside could understand the issues, let alone resolve them.

      Here are several more key elements that have attracted our support:

      Jose's view that our remaining open spaces are precious and worthy of defending against development. The great open hill area between Montecito Heights and Lincoln Heights is a prime example.

      He believes that solar power and other alternatives to fossil fuels are critical, so while encouraging the use of industrial rooftops among other sites, he believes that state law must change so that we have discretion over our vulnerable open hillsides.

      He supports efforts to enhance safety on the Historic Arroyo Seco Parkway, notably upgrades to access/egress. The deadly Ave 43 north offramp is of particular concern.

      He views the Southwest Museum as a critical and worthy component of the culture and treasure of NELA.

      He considers that the issues of Northeast LA -- housing, transportation, commerce, schools, recreation, open space -- are interrelated, in that each impacts every other issue, and he seeks broad, thoughtful, pragmatic solutions to them.

      From my personal perspective, I have found Jose Gardea to be the real deal! Like many of you, I have spent a lifetime listening to politicians. Seldom have I met or heard someone about whom I could say there is a complete absence of bull. Jose Gardea is straightforward and honest -- and I'm not the only one to feel that, either! I hope you have the chance to meet him.

      Please give Jose Gardea your full consideration.

      Sincerely,
      Jack Fenn
    • Wendy Legacki
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25 3:06 PM
        I agree
        wendy

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25 3:14 PM
          I agree.
          Too many unions are backing Cedillo.
          How would he repay for their backing.

          Charles Inman

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25 6:02 PM
            Ditto!
            -Belen

            In a message dated 4/25/2013 4:52:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            ChasInman@... writes:

[...]

            From my personal perspective, I have found Jose Gardea to be the real
            deal! Like many of you, I have spent a lifetime listening to politicians.
            Seldom have I met or heard someone about whom I could say there is a complete
            absence of bull. Jose Gardea is straightforward and honest -- and I'm not the
            only one to feel that, either! I hope you have the chance to meet him.

            Please give Jose Gardea your full consideration.

            Sincerely,
            Jack Fenn
          • car2532002
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27 7:17 AM
              Re: The importance of NOT voting for "no way, Jose"

              Our area can not afford another 12 years of "do nothing, Ed Reyes" with his employee, "no way, Jose".

              Look at all the problems that are in our community. We have huge potholes, illegal dumping, violent crime, 3 years without a neighborhood prosecutor, budget cuts for police, fire and the city attorney's office and dirty streets and sidewalks. Jose was never in the district, never attended any public meetings and never attended on neighborhood council meeting. And, his staff was rarely at any neighborhood council meetings either.

              Councilmember Ed Reyes did nothing to improve our community. There are no jobs. There is a mismatch of small businesses on Figueroa. The businesses are run down, have too many signs, ulgy paint, peeling paint and look like skid row. Actually skid row looks better than North Figueroa. This district needs someone that will work for them. "No way, Jose" has done nothing. "No way, Jose" has a record already of doing nothing.

              Vote for change. Vote for Gil Cedillo.

              Susan

            • hauntedcasa@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27 12:54 PM
                Dear Susan,

                Jose Gardea is Chief of Staff. His job is to make sure all the CD 1
                representatives go to as many communities as possible and report back. Our
                rep., Arturo Gonzalez has been showing up to all of our neighborhood council
                meetings. Council member Ed Reyes job only covers CD 1, not all of Los
                Angeles. Finally most of the pot holes and bad streets have been fixed and I
                like it because I drive a lot in CD 1 and beyond.

                Belen

                --- In _nelalist@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com) ,
                hauntedcasa@... wrote:

                > Ditto!
                > -Belen
                >

                > In a message dated 4/25/2013 4:52:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                > ChasInman@... writes:
                >
                > I agree.
                > Too many unions are backing Cedillo.
                > How would he repay for their backing.
                >
                > Charles Inman

              • car2532002
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28 9:08 PM
                  No one from CD 1 was at the last 2 meetings I attended. And, while on the board CD1 was almost never there. Jose's job was to make sure that his staff attend the meetings.

                  I don't know how much of CD1 you drive, but the potholdes in the Pico-Union district and down Alvarado are big enough for cars to swallow. And, there are so many pot holes down San Fernando Road that they can not all be counted.

                  The city's budget is in a mess due to Councilmember Ed Reyes and his staff, "no way, Jose". And, they have cut police officers, firefighters and the city attorney's budget. The city attorney's office is such a skelton crew that they do not have enough attorney's to prosecute. Northeast has not had a city prosecutor in 3 years. "No way, Jose" put us in this mess. We can not afford another 12 years of "do nothing, Ed Reyes" with his employee "no way, Jose". Nothing has been done about the violence in our area. Our area has no jobs and run down businesses. Don't vote for "no way, Jose". Vote for Gil Cedillo. A voice for the people.

                • hauntedcasa@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 29 12:27 PM
                    I am going to say this nicely. The reason you did not see our CD 1 rep at
                    the last 2 meetings you attended is because you left early in one of those
                    meetings and Mr Arturo Gonzalez came late. Another meeting may have been
                    he came early then left early and you often come late. So far my car has
                    not been swallowed by any pothole. And again, CD 1 is only responsible for
                    CD 1. Not all of L. A. The whole city in in a financial crises. But if
                    you know how to fix everything why don't you go to the city council and tell
                    them how it is done since you are a committee of one.

                    Sincerely,
                    Walking on eggs

                    hauntedcasa@... wrote:

                    > Dear Susan,
                    >
                    > Jose Gardea is Chief of Staff. His job is to make sure all the CD 1
                    > representatives go to as many communities as possible and report back.
                    Our
                    > rep., Arturo Gonzalez has been showing up to all of our neighborhood
                    council
                    > meetings. Council member Ed Reyes job only covers CD 1, not all of Los
                    > Angeles. Finally most of the pot holes and bad streets have been fixed
                    and I
                    > like it because I drive a lot in CD 1 and beyond.
                    >
                    > Belen
                    >

                    > In a message dated 4/27/2013 10:04:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    > car2532002@... writes:
                    >

                    > Re: The importance of NOT voting for "no way, Jose"
                    >
                    > Our area can not afford another 12 years of "do nothing, Ed Reyes" with
                    > his employee, "no way, Jose".
                    >
                    > Look at all the problems that are in our community. We have huge
                    potholes,
                    > illegal dumping, violent crime, 3 years without a neighborhood
                    prosecutor,
                    > budget cuts for police, fire and the city attorney's office and dirty
                    > streets and sidewalks. Jose was never in the district, never attended
                    any
                    > public meetings and never attended on neighborhood council meeting. And,
                    his
                    > staff was rarely at any neighborhood council meetings either.
                    > <Snip>
                  • car2532002
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2013
                      When I was on the board no one from CD1 ever came to the meetings. And, even the Senior Lead Officer was never there either. Tell the truth.

                      CD1 is responsible for a large area including Northeast and the Pico-Union district. The Pico-Union distict is just blocks from Staples Center one of the largest money makers of the city. But yet look how run down the Pico-Union district looks. Where does the money go? Why didn't Councilmember Ed Reyes spread the wealth and do more in his district? He did nothing to improve his district from Pico-Union to Northeast and down North Figueroa. And, neither did his employee, "no way, Jose". Look at North Figueroa which is a bunch of run down businesses and no jobs.