Outfest Pop-up Filmmaking Workshops Highland Park

  • Christopher Howard
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2013
      Lab Hours
      Fusion Lab is open Wednesday – Sunday from noon until 8:00pm (or later depending on screening/workshop end time).

      FREE Filmmaking Workshops
      Fusion Lab will provide free classes in directing, screenwriting, editing, and documentary filmmaking. These classes are taught by Outfest Alumni filmmakers and are a great introduction to filmmaking. We encourage you to reserve a spot for classes in advance, although you are welcome to walk-up and attend on a space available basis. There more classes coming for March 13, 21, 24, and 30
      .
      · March 10, 2:00pm – Directing Workshop taught by Jamie Babbit (Director of But I Am A Cheerleader, Itty Bitty Titty Committee, Smash, Drop Dead Diva, United States of Tara)
      · March 16, 2:00pm – Writing and Directing Workshop taught by Carlos Portugal (Director of East Side Story)
      · March 17, 2:00pm – Writing Workshop taught by Henry Alberto (She Kills He)
      · March 20, 7:00pm – Writing Workshop with Alex Kondracke (L Word and Hung) & George Reyes
      · March 24, 2:00pm – Editing Theory with Augie Robles (editor Mosquita y Mari, C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigations)

      FREE Film Screening Series
      On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, four different shorts programs will be screened highlighting the best short films from Outfest Fusion and Outfest Los Angeles from the last 30 years. To ensure a seat for screenings, make your reservation now.

      · Friday March 8 7:30: Welcome To My World
      · Saturday March 9 7:30: Catch Me If You Can
      · Sunday March 10 5:00: Hello Darling
      · Friday March 15 7:30: Catch Me If You Can
      · Saturday March 16 5:30: Hello Darling
      · Saturday March 16 7:30: Love Me or Leave Me *over 18
      · Sunday March 17 5:00: Welcome To My World
      · Friday March 22 7:30 Welcome To My World
      · Saturday March 23 7:30 Hello Darling
      · Sunday March 24 5:00 Catch Me If You Can
      · Friday March 29 7:30: Love Me or Leave Me *over 18
      · Saturday March 30 5:30: Welcome To My World
      · Saturday March 30 7:30: Catch Me If You Can

      FREE Filmmaker Work Stations
      Filmmaker work stations include film cameras to rent and editing equipment to edit your films. Staff at Fusion Lab will be on hand to assist Lab attendees in creating short films through the filmmaking process.

      For more information or to reserve a free spot for workshops and screenings, visit http://www.outfest.org
    • Fiberflash
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2013
        Pop Up Things are populating Highland Park this month. Highland Park has an embarrassment of riches to be further explored by NELA locals.

        Pacific Opera Project's production of Barber of Seville at the Highland Park Ebell Club AND the Outfest Pop Up Lab are both OPEN this weekend.

        Barber of Seville was an extremely funny reimagining of the opera in Los Angeles with the Barber now a "Stylist to the Stars". I laughed so hard I had tears! Tonight is your last chance to catch this FUN FUN production. (They will be back later this year and are developing a faithful following.)

        The Outfest Fusion Lab screening of collections of short films with LGBT themes is a unique opportunity to see interesting works created over the past decade. Some of the pieces are short works and there is usually one or two more major films. The average screening length is about 2 hours where you might see 5 to 8 short films. There is an opportunity to discuss the films afterwards with a curator of the screening.

        The Lab is only here in Highland Park until March 30th so time is very short to see this too. The space where the films are screened is an old DVD rental store in the same block as the Bank of America branch (between Ave 55 & 56). To prepare the Lab, Outfest brought in a designer who has installed a fun mural of the most iconic buildings of Los Angeles (for those who are LA architecture fans) and bright colors.

        Sometimes when things are made available to a community for FREE they not perceived as valuable, but LGBT Northeast people and their friends can make an interesting night "out" in Highland Park with dinner at one of the nearby restaurants (Cinnamons, Good Girl Dinette, Folierros, Las Cazeulos and others) and catching one of the Friday, Saturday or Sunday screenings between now and the end of the month. Funding for this Pop Up is the James Irvine Foundation.

        Soon they will be gone, so catch these Pop Up events that are attracting alot of attention.

        Dan Wright