Re: animal control info

  • car2532002
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
      No one said on any post that those dogs were mean dogs. Most dogs are not. The animal shelter already knows and has information in their computers which dogs have a history of being turned in there repeatedly. Dogs on the street do not mean they are "running wild". That is a mean term to use. Do you consider a poodle running the streets as "running wild"? That term is just used as a way to make a situation more serious than what it is.

      An owner should be contacted if possible to get their dogs. The animal shelter should be a last resort, especially when you know who the dog owner is and is not a repeat offender.

      I see dog owners let their small dogs run the streets all the time. Since the dog knows the way home there is no problem with that.
      The only issue is that they could get hit by a car. Dog owners need to be responsible, but so do those that find the occassional lost dog.

      A couple years ago a dog came by our home and I took him in and called the owner. The phone number was on the dog tag. She came down as she lived a few miles away and was very happy that her dog was found. Be responsible. Try to find the dog owner. Be a good neighbor, not like my bad neighbor.

      Susan

      --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "ms360b" <gabriele360@...> wrote:

      > Could you let us know the names of the streets where the dogs were running wild? It could be helpful to know so if someone else runs into them, we'd know 1) not to trust them and 2) if we report the dogs, we can say the dogs have previous history.
      > thanks,
      > ms360b
      >
      > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Roesler" <sbrmoon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > That particular day, I got a recording on 311 telling me the operators were
      > > all busy and to call back later.
      > >

      > > Sharon

    • car2532002
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
        Terrorized? Were they just scared? Did they bite? Were your dogs inside your yard? If you took your pets inside while the dogs moved on there should be no problem.

        Terrorized how? I wouldn't call it terror just because the dogs got scared.

        Susan

        --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Pat Rollie <patrollie@...> wrote:

        > Sharon, Those dogs came on our property , terrorized our animals as well as myself, the owners should be fined at the least. Pat
        > On Dec 29, 2012, at 9:50 AM, car2532002 wrote:
        >
        > > The easy way is just to call 311. Were the animals picked up by animal control? If they were the dog owners had to pay big bucks to get them back. I would have been better to notify the owner instead of making them pay fines.
        > >
        > > Susan
        > >
        > > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Roesler" <sbrmoon@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > When I saw two pitbulls running loose the other day on San Rafael I hurried
        > > > home to call animal control. Little did I know how hard it is to find an
        > > > actual number to report stray animals (Google didn't have it and shelters
        > > > only gave me a recorded message but no number for animal pickup). You might
        > > > want to write this down for future reference.
        > > > Animal Control: 213.847-2441.
        > > >
        > > > They will ask you the address where the animals live so they could call the owner. I
        > > > imagine they can only call if the animals are licensed so they have a record
        > > > of it. Then, I had to jump in the car and go back and look up the house
        > > > number. There was no way I could approach the house myself to let the
        > > > owners know. The next day the dogs were back behind the owner's fence.
        > > >

        > > > Sharon

      • Sharon Roesler
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 1, 2013
          Were you able to contact the owners? I hope you and your pets are okay.

          Sharon

          9:50 AM, car2532002 wrote:

          > The easy way is just to call 311. Were the animals picked up by animal
          control? If they were the dog owners had to pay big bucks to get them back.
          I would have been better to notify the owner instead of making them pay
          fines.

          > Susan
          >
          > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Roesler" <sbrmoon@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > When I saw two pitbulls running loose the other day on San Rafael I
          > > hurried home to call animal control. Little did I know how hard it
          > > is to find an actual number to report stray animals (Google didn't
          > > have it and shelters only gave me a recorded message but no number
          > > for animal pickup). You might want to write this down for future
          reference.
          > > Animal Control: 213.847-2441.
          > >
          > > They will ask you the address where the animals live so they could
          > > call the owner. I imagine they can only call if the animals are
          > > licensed so they have a record of it. Then, I had to jump in the car
          > > and go back and look up the house number. There was no way I could
          > > approach the house myself to let the owners know. The next day the dogs
          were back behind the owner's fence.

          > > Sharon

          ------------------------------------
        • Sharon Roesler
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2013
            The dogs were on San Rafael in between Terrace 49 and Mayo on Mt.
            Washington.

            Sharon

            From: nelalist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            Of ms360b

            Could you let us know the names of the streets where the dogs were running
            wild? It could be helpful to know so if someone else runs into them, we'd
            know 1) not to trust them and 2) if we report the dogs, we can say the dogs
            have previous history.
            thanks,
            ms360b

            --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Sharon Roesler" <sbrmoon@...> wrote:

            > That particular day, I got a recording on 311 telling me the operators
            were
            > all busy and to call back later.
            >

            > Sharon
            >

            > From: nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com>
            > The easy way is just to call 311. Were the animals picked up by animal
            > control? If they were the dog owners had to pay big bucks to get them
            back.
            > I would have been better to notify the owner instead of making them pay
            > fines.
            >
            > Susan
            >
            > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            > "Sharon Roesler" <sbrmoon@> wrote:
            > >
            > > When I saw two pitbulls running loose the other day on San Rafael I
            > hurried
            > > home to call animal control. Little did I know how hard it is to find an
            > > actual number to report stray animals (Google didn't have it and
            shelters
            > > only gave me a recorded message but no number for animal pickup). You
            > might
            > > want to write this down for future reference.
            > > Animal Control: 213.847-2441.
            > >
            > > They will ask you the address where the animals live so they could call
            > the owner. I
            > > imagine they can only call if the animals are licensed so they have a
            > record
            > > of it. Then, I had to jump in the car and go back and look up the house
            > > number. There was no way I could approach the house myself to let the
            > > owners know. The next day the dogs were back behind the owner's fence.
            > >

            > > Sharon

          • Pat Rollie
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2013
              The dogs were also on our property which is about a block from Mt. Washington elementary on San Rafael at the top of the hill. Pat

            • Pat Rollie
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2013
                Sharon, thanks for the inquiry. I have a feeling the owners are about as friendly as those dogs! Cats have returned to normal, so to speak! thanks Pat
                On Jan 1, 2013, at 8:43 PM, Sharon Roesler wrote:

                > Were you able to contact the owners? I hope you and your pets are okay.
                >
                > Sharon

              • Pat Rollie
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Susan, the two dogs that came on our property were very large pit bulls, very large, chasing our cats and when I went outside to run them off by yelling at them they charged towards me. I got back in the house and then they returned to go after the cats. They chased one of the cats off our property and he didn't return for two days. Our other cat won't go back outside. These were not two cute cuddly dogs looking for someone to pat them on the head. They were very aggressive in their behavior. We have had dogs wander on our yard that appear more lost than anything, this wasn't my impression of these two dogs. pat
                  On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:01 AM, car2532002 wrote:

                  > Terrorized? Were they just scared? Did they bite? Were your dogs inside your yard? If you took your pets inside while the dogs moved on there should be no problem.
                  >
                  > Terrorized how? I wouldn't call it terror just because the dogs got scared.
                  >
                  > Susan
                  >
                  > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Pat Rollie wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sharon, Those dogs came on our property , terrorized our animals as well as myself, the owners should be fined at the least. Pat
                  > > On Dec 29, 2012, at 9:50 AM, car2532002 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > The easy way is just to call 311. Were the animals picked up by animal control? If they were the dog owners had to pay big bucks to get them back. I would have been better to notify the owner instead of making them pay fines.
                  > > >
                  > > > Susan

                • Raphael Guerin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 3, 2013
                    Dogs getting out happens on occasion. A bigger issue are the owners who
                    walk their pets 'OFF LEASH' which is against the LAW.
                    Older dogs that move slowly is one thing but the younger active dogs one
                    never knows. I saw these two while out with my Ridgebacks. They were not
                    aggressive. It's the owners who walk their dogs off leash that are a bigger
                    nuisance as the owners who do not pick up after their pets...
                    SO SAD...

                    --
                    Raphael Guerin
                  • car2532002
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 3, 2013
                      I find most owners that walk their pets off leash are not a problem. They know their dogs are not aggressive. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

                      Susan

                    • ArlineDeSanctis@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 4, 2013
                        I agree with Raphael.  Many pet owners are totally irresponsible.  Frontenac Ave, off West Ave 45, has become a toilet bowl for dogs.  Many owners walk their dogs off leash and permit them to go onto private property to pee and poop.  Of course most owners do not clean up after their dogs, so they are committing two violations:  1)  Walking the dog off leash and 2) Not cleaning up after their dogs.

                        I appealed to residents who live on Frontenac Ave to walk their dogs on leash and please clean up after them.  The situation has improved, but there are still many people who live on surrounding streets who are in violation.  They seem to feel it is their right to let their dogs do their business on Frontenac Ave so that they do not have to clean up after them at home.  I wonder how they would feel if those of us on Frontenac Ave, who are responsible pet owners, would start taking our pets to their homes to do their business?

                        Many thanks to those dog owners who do obey the law.

                        Arline DeSanctis
                      • Raphael Guerin
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 5, 2013
                          Hi Arlene and thanks for the comment. I get it also for many go down Elyra
                          to walk the path. If I can pick up after my two 'big' dogs then there is no
                          excuse.

                          I wonder how the inconsiderate would feel if I had my hounds leave their
                          piles by their front door. Perhaps their property value will go up.....

                          It's our community and it should be respected by all for all....

                          --
                          Raphael
                        • Mo Oxford
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 5, 2013
                            Loose dogs are a problem.� If the dogs are aggressive, they are more of a problem but whether aggressive or not, dogs should be contained or leashed at all times.� Dogs running loose is one of my "pet peeves" (pun intended) -- and while I don't like having to clean up after irresponsible pet owners' animals and I am concerned about dog fights or other aggression --- my biggest concern is the pets' safety.� I do not care how smart your dog is or how well trained; a dog is a dog and will NOT always respond to an owner's commands.�

                            I was at our vet office one day when a woman came strolling in with two small dogs, both unleashed.� The first one responded and entered the vet office, but the second one balked and would not come in.� A truck was off loading some products to a nearby store and when the drop gate on the truck dropped, the noise scared the dog and it ran off and right into the middle of the street -- the 5200 block of York Boulevard, a very busy�street.� It took the woman and two good samaritans to catch the little dog and keep it from being hit by a car.� When the woman came into the office finally with both dogs in her arms, I asked her if she had ever heard of a leash before.� She responded that her dogs didn't need to be leashed because they always obeyed.� I looked at her and said, "Really???� You just had to chase your dog down with the help of strangers to save it from being hit by a car.� Is your ego so important to you that you will risk your dog's lives just to be able to say you can walk them off leash because they 'always' obey?� Because that's sure how it looks to me."� Others in the waiting room chimed in and told her she needs to leash the dogs for their own safety, as well, and I offered to buy her two leashes if she couldn't afford them.� There is only one Cesar Milan, and all these people who are so proud of walking their pets off leash are doing so, in my opinion, solely for the ego trip of being able to brag about how well trained their pet is.� And by doing so, they are endangering their pet and that is just plain wrong.

                            Responsible pet owners ensure that their dogs are in a fenced yard where someone cannot accidentally leave the gate open so the dog escape.� If it happens once, a responsible pet owner should take steps to ensure that it CANNOT happen again.� Responsible pet owners do not deliberately allow their dogs to run loose, and responsible pet owners do NOT walk their dogs off leash except in dog park areas specifically designated off leash.�

                            If my pet is out running around, I HOPE someone contacts Animal Control and they pick my dog up.� I would much rather pay whatever the charge is to have my pet safe than to get a call telling me my dog is at the emergency vet hospital because�he was hit by a car.� The charges by Animal Control offset the cost of picking up strays and penalize the pet owner where it hurts most -- in the wallet.� Hopefully the pet owner learns and it never happens again.� If I see a dog out loose and I know where the dog lives and who the owner is, I will make an effort to reunite them. If I am not sure, I either call Animal Control to have them catch the dog or I catch the dog and take it to Animal Control myself.� In my book, that is the only humane and responsible thing to do.

                            And for those who hate shelters because of euthenaziation, I always ask for first choice at adoption if they are unable to locate the owner of the dog.� That way I know the dog is safe, the owners will be contacted if possible, and if the dog is unclaimed, I can go back and rescue the dog.� I will also add that responsible pet owners have their pets spayed and neutered.� The reason shelters are forced to euthanize animals is the loose and stray pets running around who are not spayed and neutered.

                            Mo Oxford

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 6, 2013
                              I agree Raphael.  It's all about respect--or the lack thereof.  It's also about being considerate which they aren't.    However, there are people who walk on Frontenac Ave with three dogs, all on a leash, and pick up after all three.  To them we say a big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Arline DeSanctis
                            • car2532002
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 6, 2013
                                I agree. But I am concerned that those dogs that get locked up will not get bailed out. Some families do not have the funds.

                                Susan

                                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, ArlineDeSanctis@... wrote:

                                > I agree Raphael. It's all about respect--or the lack thereof. It's also
                                > about being considerate which they aren't. However, there are people who
                                > walk on Frontenac Ave with three dogs, all on a leash, and pick up after
                                > all three. To them we say a big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
                                >
                                > Arline DeSanctis

                              • Mo Oxford
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 7, 2013
                                  Honestly, people who cannot afford a pet should not have a pet.� If they can't afford to pay to have their dog released, I question whether they could afford to pay to have the dog properly cared for by a vet.� What will they do if the dog is ill and needs veterinary treatment?� I realize this may sound cruel but...many animals are neglected and not taken care of because people lack funds to pay for their care.� That is truly cruel.� While there are some resources to aid low income pet owners, the organizations offering help are few and far between and the funds are extremely limited.� It is cruel to have a pet who needs medical attention and doesn't receive the care it needs because the owner can't afford it.��Taking care of a pet can be very expensive when they are sick.� My Buddy had several hospitalizations over the past five years that cost me in excess of $1000 each time , and he is currently on a prescription diet and four different medications.� I am on a fixed income and I have had to search out ways to reduce the cost of the medications to a more affordable level.� I would never, under any circumstances, however, not get him veterinary help if he needed it.� I would much rather see a pet -- any pet, including my own --�given to a new owner who will give the proper care to an animal rather than see the pet returned to an owner who doesn't.� If they can't afford to pay to get their pet back, they probably can't afford the pet and shouldn't have one.
                                  Mo

                                  I agree. But I am concerned that those dogs that get locked up will not get bailed out. Some families do not have the funds.

                                  Susan

                                  --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, ArlineDeSanctis@... wrote:

                                  > I agree Raphael. It's all about respect--or the lack thereof. It's also
                                  > about being considerate which they aren't. However, there are people who
                                  > walk on Frontenac Ave with three dogs, all on a leash, and pick up after
                                  > all three. To them we say a big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
                                  >
                                  > Arline DeSanctis

                                • car2532002
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
                                    I totally agree. It is heartbreaking to see an animal suffer for lack of funds. That is cruel. I hope people contribute funds to organizations that help people with vets bills, ect. that help animals.

                                    Susan

                                    --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Mo Oxford wrote:

                                    > Honestly, people who cannot afford a pet should not have a pet.  If they can't afford to pay to have their dog released, I question whether they could afford to pay to have the dog properly cared for by a vet.  What will they do if the dog is ill and needs veterinary treatment?  I realize this may sound cruel but...many animals are neglected and not taken care of because people lack funds to pay for their care.  That is truly cruel.  While there are some resources to aid low income pet owners, the organizations offering help are few and far between and the funds are extremely limited.  It is cruel to have a pet who needs medical attention and doesn't receive the care it needs because the owner can't afford it.  Taking care of a pet can be very expensive when they are sick.  My Buddy had several hospitalizations over the past five years that cost me in excess of $1000 each time , and he is currently on a prescription diet and four different
                                    > medications.  I am on a fixed income and I have had to search out ways to reduce the cost of the medications to a more affordable level.  I would never, under any circumstances, however, not get him veterinary help if he needed it.  I would much rather see a pet -- any pet, including my own -- given to a new owner who will give the proper care to an animal rather than see the pet returned to an owner who doesn't.  If they can't afford to pay to get their pet back, they probably can't afford the pet and shouldn't have one.
                                    >
                                    > Mo

                                  • Jayne Bordy
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                                      Hi

                                      I agree walking dogs off leash is a major problem & it's illegal.  I have a rescue dog that is not friendly to other dogs. People breaking the law yell out "don't worry they're friendly" BUT my dog thinks its protecting me when off leash dogs swarm it & it becomes aggressive.

                                      There is a leash law for many reasons. Laws should be obeyed!

                                      Jayne

                                      To: nelalist@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013
                                        One morning around 5, I was walking down Museum to catch the Gold Line to get to work when I crossed paths with a man and his dog off leash. The dog rushed at me very belligerently and I froze and adopted a defensive posture.The dog stopped a foot from me snarling and growling (I had never seen this dog before). The guy finally, reluctantly, called his dog back. I said "That's why there are leash laws." The guy's reply: "You're a f*%king a*%%ole!"
                                        R. Harris
                                      • car2532002
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 12, 2013
                                          Some animal owners are inconsiderate of others. They think their aggressive dogs can be off leash and not call them when there is a problem. You find this at the local dog parks too. They can be dangerous as well when their agressive dogs are off leash and their owners still take them there and do not call them back when there is a problem.

                                          I know of a situation where an aggressive dog attacked another dog and bit and serious injured the dog in the dog park. The homeowners insurance company paid out a big claim to the dogowner victim.

                                          Some insurance companies cover dog bites on homeowners or renters insurance. Some companies do not. Check with your insurance company or agent. You can be sued for a dog bite attack.

                                          Keep aggressive dogs out of the dog parks. It ruins it for everyone else.

                                          Susan