Aldama Dual Language Tours -- Added dates INCLUDING TOMORROW.

  • Courtney Everts Mykytyn
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
      We've had a number of prospective parents ask for additional tours for intSpanish-English Dual Language Program at Aldama; the kinder teachers are more than happy to oblige...

      The added dates are:

      Tomorrow, Tuesday, December 4th, 9am
      Tuesday, December 11th, 9am
      Tuesday, January 8th, 9am

      Anyone living in Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Mount Washington, or Glassell Park can attend!

      For more information, check out our Facebook page:

      or  DL blog

      For any questions &/or to sign up for our DL listserve, feel free to contact me at cemykytyn@...

      Cheers,
      Courtney (Parent of a 2nd and 4th grader)

      --
      Courtney Everts Mykytyn, Ph.D.

    • Brian Frobisher
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2012
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/dec/05/tesco-signals-retreat-us-chain

        Tesco will on Wednesday signal an embarrassing retreat from the US after
        pouring £1bn into a bid to take on the mighty Wal-Mart in its own backyard.

        The UK's biggest retailer will announce it is launching a "strategic review"
        of its loss-making US chain, Fresh & Easy. Such reviews usually mean a sale
        or outright closure.

        The review has been ordered by Tesco's chief executive, Philip Clarke, who
        took over from Sir Terry Leahy last year. Tesco had hoped to build Fresh &
        Easy into a business as big as its core UK chain. The first Fresh & Easy
        opened amid much fanfare five years ago and there are now about 200 stores
        in southern California and Nevada.

        But Tesco's plans were far more ambitious. Within weeks of the first store
        opening, in Hemet, east of Los Angeles, Fresh & Easy bosses were voicing
        ambitions to have 1,000 stores across California and then take Fresh & Easy
        to the east coast.

        The retailer built a vast warehouse, complete with America's biggest expanse
        of solar panels to help power it, and a food factory next door to make the
        ready meals that UK shoppers buy by the million but were almost unknown in
        the US.

        The plans came after two years of intensive research which involved Tesco
        sending senior executives from the UK to live with Californian families,
        assess they way they shopped and ate, and to build secret test stores.

        But their research proved faulty. Almost every aspect of the shops, from
        their interior decoration to the pack sizes and self-serve tills have been
        changed. Fresh & Easy also opened as the subprime mortgage crisis and
        subsequent economic downturn took hold, hitting US consumer confidence and
        spending power. The chain has also faced opposition from US trade unions.

        The business is estimated to have cost Tesco nearly £1bn of investment and
        accumulated losses. It lost £74m in the most recent six months.

        Clarke will confirm the details of the review as he unveils what City
        analysts believe will be a gloomy trading update for the past three months.

        The group is expected to say like-for-like sales, which exclude business
        from new stores, fell by up to 1% on the same period a year ago. That figure
        includes the effect of inflation, so the real decline is greater. It
        compares with a 1.7% increase recorded recently by rival Sainsbury's.

        Tesco, which employs nearly 300,000 staff in the UK and operates more than
        3,000 outlets, has had a grim 2012. In January, after a poor Christmas last
        year, Tesco was forced to issue its first warning of falling profits for two
        decades. Its shares have fallen 19% this year.

        Last spring Clarke launched an overhaul of the British business and is
        pouring £1bn into revamping the stores, sharpening prices and improving
        products. He is scaling back store openings and said there would be very few
        new superstores as shoppers increasingly move online for fashion and
        homewares. Clarke said that "apps are the new high street".

        Tesco has problems in other parts of its global operations. Its mainland
        European stores have been hit by the eurozone crisis while in Korea it is
        facing a £100m hit to profits as a result of new laws that limit trading
        hours. China is growing far less rapidly than expected.

        One leading City analyst downgraded the firm and urged investors to sell
        Tesco shares. Caroline Gulliver of Espirito Santo said a survey carried out
        for the bank made "worrying reading". The survey showed that only 29% of
        shoppers now choose to make most of their purchases at Tesco, compared with
        35% last year. "Rather than seeing improvements, UK consumers perceive that
        Tesco's offer is becoming less competitive on price and quality," said
        Gulliver.

        A survey published on Tuesday by Kantar Worldpanel showed Tesco's market
        share has slipped to 30.7% from a peak of nearly 32%. The retailer is losing
        out to Waitrose at one end of the price scale and to discounters like Aldi
        at the other. The Aldi chain has 10% more shoppers than a year ago, who are
        spending 17% more.

        postd by Brian Frobisher
      • Christopher Howard
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
          http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-tesco-fresh-and-easy-20121205,0,4922150.story

          By Shan Li

          December 5, 20129:27 a.m.

          British supermarket giant Tesco said it is considering selling its Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market stores and will probably leave the United States altogether.

          The sprawling retailer, which owns more than 6,000 stores worldwide, has already received inquiries from companies interested in acquiring all or part of Fresh & Easy, Tesco said Wednesday in a statement.

          Fresh & Easy's chief executive, Tim Mason, is also leaving after three decades at Tesco, the company said.

          The Fresh & Easy chain launched in 2007 with much fanfare and high ambitions of creating a network of hundreds of smaller-format stores on the West Coast.

          But the supermarkets never proved profitable. In October, Tesco announced plans to cut back on investing in the chain after closing 12 stores earlier in the year. There are still nearly 200 locations open in California, Arizona and Nevada.

          Despite those efforts to slash costs, "it is now clear that Fresh & Easy will not deliver acceptable shareholder returns on an appropriate time frame in its current form," Tesco said.

          Philip Clarke, chief executive of Tesco, said "all options are under consideration."

          "Whilst the business has many positives, its journey to scale and acceptable returns will take too long relative to other opportunities," he said in a statement.

          In a conference call on Wednesday, Clarke said it was "likely" that Tesco's "presence in America will come to an end."

          This decision comes at a sensitive time for Tesco, which has been trying to turn around a decline in profit at home in Britain and fighting off criticisms that it has put too much money into rapid -- and so far unprofitable -- expansion in some areas overseas.

          poster c. howard
        • Brian Frobisher
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
            http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2012/12/05/tesco-looks-to-sell-fresh-easy.html

            Looks like they are going to sell the entire chain off soon

            Brian
            Glassell Park

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2012
              Brian,

              I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their doors in
              Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty".  We need to support the
              businesses in our community so that they will thrive.

              Ruby

              ________________________________
              From: Brian Frobisher <froby@...>

              http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2012/12/05/tesco-looks-to-sell-fresh-easy.html

              Looks like they are going to sell the entire chain off soon

              Brian
              Glassell Park

              >British supermarket giant Tesco said it is considering selling its Fresh & Easy
              >Neighborhood Market stores and will probably leave the United States altogether.
              >The sprawling retailer, which owns more than 6,000 stores worldwide, has already
              >received inquiries from companies interested in acquiring all or part of Fresh &
              >Easy, Tesco said Wednesday in a statement.
              >Fresh & Easy's chief executive, Tim Mason, is also leaving after three decades
              >at Tesco, the company said.
              >The Fresh & Easy chain launched in 2007 with much fanfare and high ambitions of
              >creating a network of hundreds of smaller-format stores on the West Coast.
              >But the supermarkets never proved profitable. In October, Tesco announced plans
              >to cut back on investing in the chain after closing 12 stores earlier in the
              >year. There are still nearly 200 locations open in California, Arizona and
              >Nevada.
              >Despite those efforts to slash costs, "it is now clear that Fresh & Easy will
              >not deliver acceptable shareholder returns on an appropriate time frame in its
              >current form," Tesco said.
              >Philip Clarke, chief executive of Tesco, said "all options are under
              >consideration."
              >"Whilst the business has many positives, its journey to scale and acceptable
              >returns will take too long relative to other opportunities," he said in a
              >statement.
              >In a conference call on Wednesday, Clarke said it was "likely" that Tesco's
              >"presence in America will come to an end."
              >This decision comes at a sensitive time for Tesco, which has been trying to turn
              >around a decline in profit at home in Britain and fighting off criticisms that
              >it has put too much money into rapid -- and so far unprofitable -- expansion in
              >some areas overseas.
              >

              >poster c. howard
            • Brian Frobisher
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                Ruby

                If you read the articles about the problems that Tesco had with a "High Tech" ordering system early on, part of the issue was that they were not able to properly stock the shelves.

                They have had many missteps.

                Support yes, turn a blind eye to problems...... no.

                Lisa shopped there quite a bit and will miss some aspects of the market.

                Brian
                Glassell Park

                From: Brian Frobisher <froby@...>

                http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2012/12/05/tesco-looks-to-sell-fresh-easy.html

                Looks like they are going to sell the entire chain off soon

                Brian
                Glassell Park

                >British supermarket giant Tesco said it is considering selling its Fresh & Easy
                >Neighborhood Market stores and will probably leave the United States altogether.
                >The sprawling retailer, which owns more than 6,000 stores worldwide, has already
                >received inquiries from companies interested in acquiring all or part of Fresh &
                >Easy, Tesco said Wednesday in a statement.
                >Fresh & Easy's chief executive, Tim Mason, is also leaving after three decades
                >at Tesco, the company said.
                >The Fresh & Easy chain launched in 2007 with much fanfare and high ambitions of
                >creating a network of hundreds of smaller-format stores on the West Coast.
                >But the supermarkets never proved profitable. In October, Tesco announced plans
                >to cut back on investing in the chain after closing 12 stores earlier in the
                >year. There are still nearly 200 locations open in California, Arizona and
                >Nevada.
                >Despite those efforts to slash costs, "it is now clear that Fresh & Easy will
                >not deliver acceptable shareholder returns on an appropriate time frame in its
                >current form," Tesco said.
                >Philip Clarke, chief executive of Tesco, said "all options are under
                >consideration."
                >"Whilst the business has many positives, its journey to scale and acceptable
                >returns will take too long relative to other opportunities," he said in a
                >statement.
                >In a conference call on Wednesday, Clarke said it was "likely" that Tesco's
                >"presence in America will come to an end."
                >This decision comes at a sensitive time for Tesco, which has been trying to turn
                >around a decline in profit at home in Britain and fighting off criticisms that
                >it has put too much money into rapid -- and so far unprofitable -- expansion in
                >some areas overseas.
                >

                >poster c. howard

              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                  But we do support our businesses, just not Fresh and Easy, apparently (which is a British enterprise). I can only "support" one or two grocery stores myself. Other stores, like Figueroa Produce and the new Organix, are staying open, which means that people are voting with their dollars. Maybe there are too many grocery stores for the local population.

                  --Scott

                  On Dec 6, 2012, at 10:08 AM, ruby devera wrote:

                  > Brian,
                  >
                  > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their doors in
                  > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to support the
                  > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                  >
                  > Ruby

                • christo90065
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                    It may be premature to assume F+E is closing. My understanding is that the Walmarts is considering purchasing Fresh and Easy from Tesco.

                    - chris
                  • Brian Frobisher
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                      If WalMart does some in then you can count my $$$ out.

                      Tesco bad enough, WalMart....FORGET IT!

                      I bet we get something akin to yet another crappy drug store.......

                      Wallgreen's?

                      Brian
                      Glassell Park

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                        In which case I know I'll never set foot in there ever again.

                        One of my problems with F&E was how poorly they treated their employees - In the same way Walmart does. Contrast that with Trader Joe's, which is also nonunion, but seems to treat their employees well.

                        Add to this the confusion from a corporate/management level. They were constantly changing things around so frequently that when something worked, it didn't seem to be there very long

                        Les

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Dec 7, 2012, at 12:08 PM, "christo90065" <christohoward@...> wrote:

                        > It may be premature to assume F+E is closing. My understanding is that the Walmarts is considering purchasing Fresh and Easy from Tesco.
                        >
                        > - chris

                      • christo90065
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Ruby,
                          Tesco's financial issues are apparently associated with the company over-extending the F+E US build-out in a time of limited US economic growth. The return on infrastructure investment wasn't forthcoming. I heard a high level Tesco guy took early retirement.

                          - chris

                          --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, ruby devera <rbdevera@...> wrote:

                          > Brian,
                          >
                          > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their doors in
                          > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty".  We need to support the
                          > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                          >
                          > Ruby
                          >

                          > ________________________________
                          > From: Brian Frobisher <froby@...>
                          >
                          > http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2012/12/05/tesco-looks-to-sell-fresh-easy.html
                          >

                          > Looks like they are going to sell the entire chain off soon
                          >
                          > Brian
                          > Glassell Park

                        • Joe Walker
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Speaking of Fresh and Easy..
                            Whatever happened to the unionization plan of the store on ER Blvd, and the incredible efforts of once of our list members to stop it from happening?  She was quite involved..

                            Joe

                            From: Les Kaye <leskaye2000@...>

                            In which case I know I'll never set foot in there ever again.

                            One of my problems with F&E was how poorly they treated their employees - In the same way Walmart does. Contrast that with Trader Joe's, which is also nonunion, but seems to treat their employees well.

                            Add to this the confusion from a corporate/management level. They were constantly changing things around so frequently that when something worked, it didn't seem to be there very long

                            Les

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Dec 7, 2012, at 12:08 PM, "christo90065" <christohoward@...> wrote:

                            > It may be premature to assume F+E is closing. My understanding is that the Walmarts is considering purchasing Fresh and Easy from Tesco.
                            >
                            > - chris
                          • mgealer@juno.com

                                Many of us do support local businesses. For instance I more often go
                                to Figueroa Produce, owned by a local family. I also go to local
                                farmers markets for just about everything. Fresh and Easy is British.
                                Just because we are not going to one local store doesn't mean we
                                aren't going to another. Whoever survives, survives.

                                --Scott

                                On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:22 PM, mgealer@... wrote:

                                > Anybody know how the BIz at the F&E Eagle Rock has been?will it be
                                > closing down?seems to me good ol economics supply and demand quality
                                > uniqueness low pricesprofit of whole bizdetermine feasabilityLook at
                                > the old sub standard failed Ralph's San Fernando where Hughes was
                                > and did decentand now Super King is kicking buns there 'cause of the
                                > universal international product at a reasonable price.The place is
                                > packed always.F&E IS always empty when Albertsons was mediumMaybe
                                > the next store there will be better?And whats happenin with the old
                                > Kmart?What a wasteland? We certainly did not need another Home
                                > DepotHowever where are our city council and mayor econ development
                                > depts?Garcetti,Reyes,Villaraigosa help us out dudes...hollywood and
                                > downtown developers???and the LACC nela campus that never has been!
                                > Mike Gealer Brian,
                                >
                                > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their
                                > doors in
                                > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to
                                > support the
                                > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                                >
                                > Ruby

                              • john garcia
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012
                                  fresh and easy has already published reports it will be closing down all united states
                                   stores.

                                  ________________________________
                                  From: Scott Rubel <scott@...>

                                  Many of us do support local businesses. For instance I more often go
                                  to Figueroa Produce, owned by a local family. I also go to local
                                  farmers markets for just about everything. Fresh and Easy is British.
                                  Just because we are not going to one local store doesn't mean we
                                  aren't going to another. Whoever survives, survives.

                                  --Scott

                                  On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:22 PM, mgealer@... wrote:

                                  > Anybody know how the BIz at the F&E Eagle Rock has been?will it be
                                  > closing down?seems to me good ol economics supply and demand quality
                                  > uniqueness low pricesprofit of whole bizdetermine feasabilityLook at
                                  > the old sub standard failed Ralph's San Fernando where Hughes was
                                  > and did decentand now Super King is kicking buns there 'cause of the
                                  > universal international product at a reasonable price.The place is
                                  > packed always.F&E IS always empty when Albertsons was mediumMaybe
                                  > the next store there will be better?And whats happenin with the old
                                  > Kmart?What a wasteland? We certainly did not need another Home
                                  > DepotHowever where are our city council and mayor econ development
                                  > depts?Garcetti,Reyes,Villaraigosa help us out dudes...hollywood and
                                  > downtown developers???and the LACC nela campus that never has been!
                                  > Mike Gealer Brian,
                                  >
                                  > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their
                                  > doors in
                                  > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to
                                  > support the
                                  > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                                  >
                                  > Ruby

                                • Brian Frobisher
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012
                                    I have a feeling that if all F&E stores were doing as well at the Glassell Park location, Tesco would not be dumping the brand.

                                    According to an employee in the GP store, it is #1 in sales in the chain.

                                    So, again, we all support "Local" businesses, but TESCO really does not give a HOOT (Expletives deleted) about Glassell Park..........

                                    I don't mind if they want to keep this location open as it serves a purpose, but F&E is only local as far as employees are concerned.

                                    I feel really bad for the many hard working employees of this location that stand to lose their jobs.

                                    Let's hope it stays open or some entity other than WalMart can keep it open.

                                    It's always amazing to me how many "Pensioners" in the NE area support such crap operations as Walmart, apparently not knowing that they would not have a "Pot to piss in" if it were not for their union or at least "Quality" job.

                                    Brian Frobisher
                                    Glassell Park.

                                    Many of us do support local businesses. For instance I more often go
                                    to Figueroa Produce, owned by a local family. I also go to local
                                    farmers markets for just about everything. Fresh and Easy is British.
                                    Just because we are not going to one local store doesn't mean we
                                    aren't going to another. Whoever survives, survives.

                                    --Scott

                                    On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:22 PM, mgealer@... wrote:

                                    > Anybody know how the BIz at the F&E Eagle Rock has been?will it be
                                    > closing down?seems to me good ol economics supply and demand quality
                                    > uniqueness low pricesprofit of whole bizdetermine feasabilityLook at
                                    > the old sub standard failed Ralph's San Fernando where Hughes was
                                    > and did decentand now Super King is kicking buns there 'cause of the
                                    > universal international product at a reasonable price.The place is
                                    > packed always.F&E IS always empty when Albertsons was mediumMaybe
                                    > the next store there will be better?And whats happenin with the old
                                    > Kmart?What a wasteland? We certainly did not need another Home
                                    > DepotHowever where are our city council and mayor econ development
                                    > depts?Garcetti,Reyes,Villaraigosa help us out dudes...hollywood and
                                    > downtown developers???and the LACC nela campus that never has been!
                                    > Mike Gealer Brian,
                                    >
                                    > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their
                                    > doors in
                                    > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to
                                    > support the
                                    > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                                    >
                                    > Ruby

                                  • christo90065
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 9, 2012
                                      ...looking around the interwebs for a second i found this press release dated last week
                                      http://www.tescoplc.com/files/pdf/results/2012/announcements/announcement_051212.pdf

                                      - ch

                                      --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, john garcia <certarborist@...> wrote:

                                      > fresh and easy has already published reports it will be closing down all united states
                                      >  stores.
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________
                                      > From: Scott Rubel <scott@...>
                                      >
                                      > Many of us do support local businesses. For instance I more often go
                                      > to Figueroa Produce, owned by a local family. I also go to local
                                      > farmers markets for just about everything. Fresh and Easy is British.
                                      > Just because we are not going to one local store doesn't mean we
                                      > aren't going to another. Whoever survives, survives.
                                      >
                                      > --Scott
                                      >
                                      > On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:22 PM, mgealer@... wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Anybody know how the BIz at the F&E Eagle Rock has been?will it be
                                      > > closing down?seems to me good ol economics supply and demand quality
                                      > > uniqueness low pricesprofit of whole bizdetermine feasabilityLook at
                                      > > the old sub standard failed Ralph's San Fernando where Hughes was
                                      > > and did decentand now Super King is kicking buns there 'cause of the
                                      > > universal international product at a reasonable price.The place is
                                      > > packed always.F&E IS always empty when Albertsons was mediumMaybe
                                      > > the next store there will be better?And whats happenin with the old
                                      > > Kmart?What a wasteland? We certainly did not need another Home
                                      > > DepotHowever where are our city council and mayor econ development
                                      > > depts?Garcetti,Reyes,Villaraigosa help us out dudes...hollywood and
                                      > > downtown developers???and the LACC nela campus that never has been!
                                      > > Mike Gealer Brian,
                                      > >
                                      > > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their
                                      > > doors in
                                      > > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to
                                      > > support the
                                      > > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                                      > >
                                      > > Ruby

                                    • Libby Morris

                                        Many of us do support local businesses. For instance I more often go
                                        to Figueroa Produce, owned by a local family. I also go to local
                                        farmers markets for just about everything. Fresh and Easy is British.
                                        Just because we are not going to one local store doesn't mean we
                                        aren't going to another. Whoever survives, survives.

                                        --Scott

                                        On Dec 8, 2012, at 11:22 PM, mgealer@... wrote:

                                        > Anybody know how the BIz at the F&E Eagle Rock has been?will it be
                                        > closing down?seems to me good ol economics supply and demand quality
                                        > uniqueness low pricesprofit of whole bizdetermine feasabilityLook at
                                        > the old sub standard failed Ralph's San Fernando where Hughes was
                                        > and did decentand now Super King is kicking buns there 'cause of the
                                        > universal international product at a reasonable price.The place is
                                        > packed always.F&E IS always empty when Albertsons was mediumMaybe
                                        > the next store there will be better?And whats happenin with the old
                                        > Kmart?What a wasteland? We certainly did not need another Home
                                        > DepotHowever where are our city council and mayor econ development
                                        > depts?Garcetti,Reyes,Villaraigosa help us out dudes...hollywood and
                                        > downtown developers???and the LACC nela campus that never has been!
                                        > Mike Gealer Brian,
                                        >
                                        > I remember reading the nelalist when Fresh and Easy opened their
                                        > doors in
                                        > Glassell Park and you called them "Fresh & Empty". We need to
                                        > support the
                                        > businesses in our community so that they will thrive.
                                        >
                                        > Ruby

                                      • Courtney Everts Mykytyn
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
                                          We've had a number of prospective parents ask for additional tours for our Spanish-English Dual Language Program at Aldama; the kinder teachers are more than happy to oblige...

                                          The added dates are:

                                          Tomorrow, Tuesday, December 11th, 9am