Mt Washinton Elementary School Mural Contest

  • Sosa, Lynn
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
      Mt Washington Elementary School is seeking talented artists to help beautify our school. Entry forms and details for the contest can be retrieved from the school office, 3981 San Rafael Ave. or by calling, 323-225-8320.
      Thanks, L. Sosa

      Sent from my iPad
    • Les Kaye
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
        Although our streets (San Andreas Ave. and Tacuba St.) were repaved only a few years ago, we've had the issue of a possibly dangerous sinkhole appearing on Tacuba. At our neighborhood watch meeting last August, Councilman Reyes' field representatives was made aware of this problem, as well as with issues regarding ongoing traffic and parking.

        Since that August meeting there has been no response or action from the city. Email and voice messages to the field representative sent beginning in early October went unanswered. In early November I was finally told by the rep that none of my email or voice messages had been received. At that time I emailed the rep new photos of the issues, and have left numerous voice messages since then. None of these messages or emails have been returned. I truly believe the sinkhole problem is a serious accident waiting to happen.

        Any advice on alternatives, and how to proceed next would be appreciated.

        Thanks!
        -Les Kaye
      • Brian Frobisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012

          Have you tried the ….COPY ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES FROM THE CD1 website and then blast it to everyone and see if you get some response?

          Not that you should have to, but that does wonders sometimes.

          Brian

          Glassell Park

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
            I attended a GPNC "Executive Committee" meeting tonight 12/4/2012 at the
            Glassell Park Senior Center.

            I was first and foremost informed by "Bradley" that the GPNC did not have to
            have any records "minutes" of "Executive Board" meetings. (Lisette, is this
            true) Has Bradley spoken to the Los Angeles City Attorney about this?

            Here is proof that Bradley burps about "contacting the City Attorney"

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7lrO5aURk

            He said that he had "Spoken to the City Attorney of Los Angeles" and
            confirmed this.

            NO MINUTES REQUIRED OF GPNC EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETINGS

            I was also informed that the KIA dealer on San Fernando Road is the
            equivalent of $50 MILLION dollars per year income to "GLASSELL PARK"...but.

            After further questioning.....oh, no, this is $50 Million Dollars to the
            City of Los Angeles......but....

            After further questioning.....oh no, this if $50 Million Dollars to the
            State of California.....

            I call LETS CHECK THIS OUT (It stinks) , can anyone confirm that a
            dealership such as the one on San Fernando Road selling KIA automobiles is
            selling enough stock to make a $50 million dollar input on the budget of
            anything?

            I hope anyone interested in democracy attends the upcoming meeting on
            December 18th of the GPNC

            Brian Frobisher

            Glassell Park
          • Mary Tokita
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
              After the blast, go to the field office with photos on your phone and say you are following up on your concern.

              Call/email relentlessly with whomever you speak with, and cc Street Services, Ed Reyes and the Mayor's Office.

              Mary Tokita

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                Brian:

                It's obvious that the only ones that believe anything that Bradley says is DONE. The GPNC has always kept minutes of the Executive Committee meetings and distributed them at the General Stakeholder meetings - copies are on file in the GPNC office, so just ask Art Camarillo who is the Office Manager for access. You can also refer DONE to the GPNC bylaws - the following is from Artivle VI.2.C.2 on page 9 regarding "Duties & Powers of the Secretary":
                 C. The Secretary:2. Provides minutes of both Executive Committee and General Stakeholder meetings andmaintains permanent records thereof and assures their availability to Stakeholders upon request.

                Good luck.

                Jose Martinez

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                  Yes that is what I thought as I once served as the secretary of the GPNC.

                  It would seem you would need minutes of any official meeting of the GPNC.

                  But clearly that is not what Bradley thinks now.

                  Brian
                  Glassell Park

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                    First of all why should I have to contact my councilman to fix a pothole when we have people employed by the city whose only job is to fix
                    potholes. In this case the Bureau of Street services.

                    This is what I did.
                    I took a picture.
                    Posted the picture on a public website. Any blog, flickr or similar will do.
                    Added the caption "Giant sinkhole waiting to happen".
                    Then I went to the Bureau of Street Services website, filled out the online form and in the comment area pasted a link to the webpage.
                    The hole was fixed in less than a week.
                    I think by making the problem public it puts them on notice that they will be liable for damages.
                    Also a good picture is worth a thousand words and a dozen phone calls.

                    You can find the online form here:
                    http://bss.lacity.org/Request.htm

                    Marino Pascal
                    Glassell Park
                  • Ginger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                      I suggest you call the City Attorney's office, ask for the Neighborhood Prosecutor and lay out how dangerous and horrible the situation on your street is. The Neighborhood Prosecutor deals with legal problems the city creates for itself, such as a massive liability threat from a sinkhole or other such conditions the City is in a position to remedy before they sued into next week. In your case, they might contact the Bureau of Street Services directly. The experience I had with the NP was that they contacted CD1, who sprang into action and accomplished very little, but they did try.

                      My situation was city tree roots destroying city sidewalks in front of the house I'd just bought without knowing I was liable for injury on those sidewalks. Yes, that's what I didn't know when I bought the house, I admit it, I freely admit. Anyway, when I realized I should do something about this, I called CD1 because I thought they'd help me. I spoke to Marisol Salgado (sp?) there in early 2011, and nothing happened. In the Fall of 2011, I contacted the City Attorney's office and when they contacted CD1, Maribel Flores actually did try to do something about getting the trees removed by Urban Forestry. She even thought UF had agreed they would remove the trees, if I'd replace the sidewalk, which I was willing to do. Unfortunately she didn't get the deal in writing so when UF sent me a permit for me to remove the trees, instead of a crew to take them out, there wasn't any recourse. Even Jose Gardea got involved, but they stonewalled him, too. Partly because he didn't know he I already had a permit, and I just needed the UF to take out the trees, but he also wasn't succeeding in getting the permit I already had because the people he talked to just don't want to remove healthy (possibly too healthy) trees, apparently no matter what dangerous conditions the roots are causing on the sidewalk. I was finally able to talk to Jose, and then he did ask UF to remove the trees and they said no. By then precious and very difficult to get permits were expiring so I just decided to pay for the work with money I would have rather used for other things.

                      If you have pictures and a narrative of events that you can put on a webpage (wordpress.com is good for this), then you can refer people to it and won't have to tell the same story over and over. It will also help you keep track of the twists and turns you might encounter with the City bureaucracy, especially the Bureau of Street Services. Of all the groups involved in my saga, they were the most difficult to communicate with for reasons I don't understand and am reluctant to speculate on.

                      Good luck. Try to get everything in writing, and if you can't then document it yourself on your webpage and/or cc: someone who supports your cause, and make sure whoever you're working with sees what you've documented SO THERE ARE NOOOOOOO MISUNDERSTANDINGS. Working with the City is hard enough when you're all on the same page; it's a nightmare when you're not.

                      In fairness to Maribel Flores, she did get the tree permit extension in writing from Ron Lorenzen in UF. And in fairness to Jose Gardea, he got Ron Lorenzen to waive the 3 tree donation, thus saving me over $1,000. But Jose didn't get it in writing; I emailed Ron Lorenzen for that. LA City has a 2 for 1 tree removal policy. My tiny parkway had two monster ficus trees, which was one too many, but since I was removing 2 and would only be allowed/forced to replace 1, I would be required to donate 3 to the city tree planting program. So... yeah. Get everything in writing, document document document.

                      Here is my City of LA adventure:

                      http://gingermayerson.com/sichelsidewalk2

                      Ginger Mayerson

                      Oh, and PS. Just as I handed RCW Construction, whom I can recommend without reservation, their check, I found out my job was going away, so if anyone knows of a secretary/admin job, I have a webpage for that, too:
                      http://gingermayerson.com/jobhunting
                      or freelance work:
                      http://freelance.wapshottpress.com
                      Better living through website coding.