citrus grafting

  • pennyyorke@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 21, 2012
      Does anyone know how to graft or bud onto citrus trees? I want to put some blood orange branches on my Valencia orange tree. Thank you. Marge
    • john garcia
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
        hello, regarding your grafting plan ?  right now is the perfect time to cut you bud graft and start the process , there are plenty of videos on YouTube and it is a fairly easy practice . depending on where exactly you live and if it gets freeze warnings during winter you may want to wait till after January, do you have both trees available for grafting ? what size dba are your citrus trees ? how good  is the citrus from both these trees in taste ? are u grafting because one of the specimens is dying or diseased ? ohh sorry for not answering the question but yes i have grafted in the past . Mr john Garcia .

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2012
          Okay, I plead ignorant to what citrus grafting is.
          My aunt in Garvanza has a delcious Tangelo tree that I would love to "duplicate" in my yard.  How is this done?

          Thanks!
          Joe

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
              Thank you for your reply. I have a 20 year old Valencia orange tree that produces good, yet not abundant, fruit. It has ripening oranges on it right now. I was just given a full-size Moro blood orange tree as a gift. Unfortunately, I don't have room for it in my yard. It's a young tree in a one-gallon pot. I was hoping to graft (bud) branches of the blood orange onto the Valencia tree. Is that possible, or do I need two mature trees?
              Also, I see you're a certified arborist. Do you have a business? I have two of the city's Chinese elms out front, and they sure need trimming!
              Thank you,
              Marge
              P.S. I live in Glassell Park
            • emmacstro@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
                If you get a referral for this local Arborist, please forwrd it to me as I live in Mt. Wa and need some tree trimming on my property.  Thx.
                Ema certified

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Hi Marge,
                    You can graft the blood orange and it should be no problem. Make sure your scion is about the same size, just a wee bit thinner than the stem you are going to graft it onto. Do about 5, since many don't take.
                    The California rare fruit growers have a ton of info
                    http://www.crfg.org/ and do demos too several times a year.
                    -Rourk

                    --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Marge Piane <pennyyorke@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you for your reply. I have a 20 year old Valencia orange tree that produces good, yet not abundant, fruit. It has ripening oranges on it right now. I was just given a full-size Moro blood orange tree as a gift. Unfortunately, I don't have room for it in my yard. It's a young tree in a one-gallon pot. I was hoping to graft (bud) branches of the blood orange onto the Valencia tree. Is that possible, or do I need two mature trees?
                    > Also, I see you're a certified arborist. Do you have a business? I have two of the city's Chinese elms out front, and they sure need trimming!
                    > Thank you,
                    > Marge
                    > P.S. I live in Glassell Park

                  • john garcia
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012

                      i usually try 2 and do it around February it helps to use a growth hormone just to kick start it . after that you can go organic , but i did not say that .