Re: Glassell Park Pool

  • clare
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2012
      perhaps it is because LA Unified students return to school early - on august 14th - that it is closing earlier this year?
      clare.

      --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, veerle govaerts <helloveerle@...> wrote:

      > Is august 12 the normal closing date for summer season?
      >
      > http://www.laparks.org/dos/aquatic/pdf/poolPrg/glassell.pdf
      >
      > August and september are the hottest months and I need the pool!
      >
      > veerle

    • Wendy Legacki
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 9:49 AM
        No..it is early because schools start Aug 13 this year.

        Is august 12 the normal closing date for summer season?

        http://www.laparks.org/dos/aquatic/pdf/poolPrg/glassell.pdf

        August and september are the hottest months and I need the pool!

        veerle

      • Christopher Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 6:06 PM
          Dear Northeast LA Friends,

          We wanted to send to let you know that this motion to provide $10,000 from our office funds to help extend the pool hours beyond the scheduled closure date of August 12th, will in fact be heard tomorrow.  This item is agenda Item #70.  We expect the motion to be heard and go through.  Rec and Parks staff will also be on hand to answer questions from the Councilmembers before the item is voted on by the Council.

          Thank you once more for you interest and we will continue to share news and updates on our progress with keeping the pool operating beyond the August 12th closure date.  Also, please share this information with any other organizations and neighbors that have expressed concerns about the seasonal closure of the Glassell Park pool.

          Best,

          Alejandra

          Good afternoon Northeast LA friends,

          Several Northeast LA residents have expressed their concerns about the Glassell Park Pool reverting to a seasonal pool instead of being open year-round.

          I wanted to let you know that Councilmember Garcetti has introduced a motion to provide $10,000 from our office funds to extend the pool hours beyond the scheduled August 12 closure date.  The Department of Recreation and Parks has not yet determined how many additional days the $10,000 would fund, but our goal is to keep it open at least through the summer months.  The motion is expected to be heard by the City Council on Tuesday, July 3.

          We will let you know what happens on Tuesday.  We will also continue to pursue other solutions for keeping the pool open.

          Thankyou for your interest in this important resource!

          --
          Alejandra Marroquin
          Deputy District Director

        • Christopher Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5 10:01 AM
            Good afternoon Northeast LA friends,

            We wanted to send a note of thanks for the many calls and emails that
            we have received concerning the Glassell Park pool.

            Through out these weeks, several Northeast LA residents and activists
            have expressed their concerns about the Glassell Park Pool reverting
            to a seasonal pool instead of being open year-round.

            I wanted to let you know that Councilmember Garcett's motion to
            provide $10,000 from CD 13's office funds to extend the pool hours
            beyond the scheduled August 12 closure date, passed unanimously during
            yesterday's Council meeting . The Department of Recreation and Parks
            determined that the additional $10,000 would allow for the Glassell
            Park pool to remain open until Labor Day.

            We will also continue to have extensive conversations with all of the
            respective Council offices so that we can explore creative ways that
            will allow us to keep the pool open. As soon as we have any updates,
            we'll all be in touch with the various Northeast LA groups .

            Thanks again for all of your understanding, ideas and patience with this.

            Best,

            Alejandra

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31 10:40 AM
              Please save the date....Aug 8, 2012  6:00pm 3750 N Verdugo (behind Public Storage)
              There will be another meeting to talk about how to get funding to keep Glassell Park Pool open all year.  We had a great turn on last week and need an even better turn out next week!
              See you there!
              Wendy