City Council exerts jurisdiction!!

  • Christopher Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Dear Friends,

      In a 12-0 vote Council Member Huizar and Council Member Reyes carried
      the day!! Many thanks to all of you who were able to attend (there
      were over 30 of us wearing bright green stickers reading "Vote Yes on
      Item 21" with 25 speaker cards put into the record.) A photo recap of
      the meeting for your viewing pleasure:

      http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsoftheSouthwes/66d72fead4/7bbca9186c/0683efe9b1

      Now, fortunately, we have the chance to convince the Council on the
      merits of our case and get a transparent public process.
      Unfortunately, it's going to be scheduled for FRIDAY. The hearing
      will be at the Arts, Parks, Health, and Aging Committee (LaBonge
      chairs, Reyes, Wesson) beginning at 8:45am. Should be in City Hall,
      Room 1010. After the hearing it will go back to City Council next
      week.

      Here are the next two things that you can do to help:

      1. Please call or e-mail Council Members Huizar and Reyes to thank
      them for their efforts and leadership!

      2. Friday morning is critical. Attendance by residents... as many of
      us as we can muster... will show support. This will be our only
      opportunity to testify. At the City Council next week we will most
      likely not be able speak because they will assume that we already
      were given the opportunity this Friday!! We will send out more
      information tomorrow concerning the issues that we will need to raise
      at Friday's hearing. In the mean time, please read the background
      document we previously sent and review the Recreation and Parks
      report on the Autry's proposed project:

      http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsoftheSouthwes/66d72fead4/7bbca9186c/51b6723048

      Thank you for all your efforts over the last few days they definitely
      had an impact on the outcome of today's hearing. We were told by a
      number of Council Members that it was an important part in helping
      them make up their minds to support Council Members Huizar and Reyes.

      The Friends of the Southwest Museum
      755 Crane Blvd.
      Los Angeles, California 90065
      US