MWPTA New Blog Posts

  • Christopher Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 9:53 AM
      Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

      MWPTA New Blog Posts

      Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

      Friday, June 3rd: Annual Spaghetti Dinner and Talent Show

      Have dinner with us, then sit back and enjoy the Show!    Join us for a good 'ol fashioned family Italian dinner prior to watching our Mt. Washington Kids showcase their many talents!  MWE's Annual Spaghetti Dinner & Talent Show is a MUST BE THERE EVENT for the entire family!  Spaghetti Dinner will be sold before the talent show from 5:00 to 6:30pm in the Lunch Pavilion - $5 for a plate of tasty Italian offerings! Desserts will be sold by our 6th graders.  The Talent Show starts at 6:30pm.  Come out and support our kids.

      Thursday, June 2nd: Corner Pizzeria Fundraiser

      Save a little time on cooking and eat in, take out or get some delivery. 15% off all purchases made on June 2nd, between 10am and 10pm will be donated to MWEPTA! Corner Pizzeria is at 2136 Colorado Blvd. in Eagle Rock.  Visit the Corner Pizzeria website to see their extensive menu, which is sure to please even the most picky eaters.  You can also place your order online and have them deliver it.

      Safety Valet Program: Volunteers Needed

      We are in need of more volunteers for the 2011-12 school year. Many of our volunteers are moving on to Middle School.  You can help by making a difference in your child’s safety at the school.  The Safety Valet Program has helped to relieve traffic congestion and increase the safety of your child when he/she is dropped off at school.  We need more parents to help with this program in the mornings from 7:35 – 8:15 AM. As a volunteer you would work with two other parents 1 day a week or once every other week if you have a partner to split the shift with. You would be opening and closing the doors of cars as parents drive through the drop off zone, allowing children to get out of the car safely. Please contact Andrea Jayasekera at andreabert@... if you are interested in helping.
      Thank you, Andrea Jayasekera (Parent Coordinator)

      A Red Carpet Thank You

      The PTA wishes to thank all of the parent volunteers who helped with decorations, donations, set up, worked the event at various stations and helped to clean up.  A very special thank you to Jesson Duller for being a fabulous DJ and spinning everyone’s favorite tunes.  A huge thank you to Rosa Bender and Rosalba Mendez, our amazing Dance Chairs, who continue to put on fun dances for the entire family to enjoy.  A great time was had by all and we even had various celebrity sightings.  Thanks again for all of your support.
      You are subscribed to email updates from Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

    • Christopher Howard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2011
        Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

        MWPTA New Blog Posts

        Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

        Happy Retirement Mrs. Park!

        One of our most beloved teachers will finish out her career at the end of this school year.  To celebrate Mrs. Park’s career and say thank you for all that she has done for our children, we are having a party in her honor this Friday the 17th, from 2:45pm till 4:00pm in the Smith Center (MPR).  Join us for some cake, fruit salad, lemonade and endless hugs, a few surprises and some reminiscing.  We wish her a wonderful retirement and hope that she will visit us often.

        Mrs.Park,
        Sending you lots of kisses to your brain for having kissed ours everyday.
        We Love You!

        Safety Valet Needs You

        For those of you who saw us perform at the Talent Show and for those who heard about it, here's your chance to be a part of this wonderful team of parent volunteers.

        Safety Valet Volunteers Needed - We are in need of more volunteers for the 2011-12 school year.  Many of our volunteers are moving on to Middle School.  You can help by making a difference in your child’s safety at the school.  The Safety Valet Program has helped to relieve traffic congestion and increase the safety of your child when he/she is dropped off at school.  We need more parents to help with this program in the mornings from 7:35 – 8:15 AM.   As a volunteer you would work with two other parents 1 day a week or once every other week if you have a partner to split the shift with. You would be opening and closing the doors of cars as parents drive through the drop off zone, allowing children to get out of the car safely.   Please contact Andrea Jayasekera at andreabert@... if you are interested in helping.  Thank you, Andrea Jayasekera (Parent Coordinator)

        CALLING MT. WASHINGTON DADS!

        The PTA is looking for a “Few Good Men” to pilot a M.O.R.E. (Men Organized to Raise Engagement) program at our school.  If you are interested or want to hear MORE, please contact incoming PTA President, Ariella Roberts at waysandmeans@....

        This is an exciting opportunity to bring a different perspective to the MWE Community.  The M.O.R.E. group would be expected to organize a minimum of one program and one fundraiser for the year.  The goal is to encourage more participation and opportunities for our diverse families to get involved at our school.  You can find more info and resources online at: http://www.pta.org/pta_more.asp
        We hope to hear from you!

        MISSION: Coalition members of PTA MORE serve as a conduit for greater father and significant male involvement, resulting in positive outcomes and successful relationships for children, parents, schools and communities. PTA MORE helps PTA leaders and units

        • Work with schools and communities to provide programs that engage fathers and positive male figures in the educational and social development of children,
        • Develop male leaders who work with fathers and male role models to enhance positive male parenting and involvement with youth,
        • Act as a resource for families, communities and schools on fatherhood initiatives and issues,
        • Increase the visibility and outreach of the quality programming of the coalition members.

      • Christopher Howard
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18, 2011
          Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

          MWPTA New Blog Posts

          Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

          Pancake Breakfast: Saturday, Sept. 24th, 8-11am

          We are looking forward to a great event yet again this year.  Join us for our 26th annual Pancake Breakfast, catch up with some old friends and help us welcome new ones.  Rock out with Haywire, get your face painted by our Girl Scouts, or pick up a tree from our Cub Scouts, meet our local fire fighters, and our School Board Representative – Bennett Kayser, check out the booths by the garden committee, the produce collective and many other organizations from our neighborhood.  Tickets will go on sale on Monday morning, buy them presale any morning this week to avoid waiting in line at the breakfast.  Children are $4 and adults are just $6. We need your volunteer power to make this event a success, so please sign up by clicking bit.ly/pancakemwpta or visit us in the parent center in the mornings.

          Fresh and Easy: 9/15-12/31

          Save your Fresh & Easy Receipts of $20 or more for a donation to our school.  For every $20, Mt. Washington gets $1.  Last year we raised over $2,000 from Fresh and Easy.  Encourage friends and other family members, organizations, sports teams and the entire community to donate their receipts to our school.  Even if they shop at different Fresh & Easy stores, their receipts will still count.  The receipts must be dated between September 15th and December 31st of 2011.  The more you shop the more our school makes!!!

          Just drop your receipts off in the parent center or Main Office in the labeled boxes.  When available, discount coupons for Fresh & Easy will be in the Parent Center and Main Office, hopefully the one attached to last week’s flyer made it safely out of your child’s backpack to you.  We look forward to seeing you at our Shop Night at Fresh Easy on Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 from 4:00pm to 8:00pm.  Stop by the Parent Center to volunteer for our Shop Night or visit http://www.mwpta.org/volunteer to sign up.

          Check out All the Great Choices for After School

          We are truly fortunate to be able to extend yet again this year the many after school programs available to our children, right here on our campus. Please see our list below for the programs and classes; some are sponsored by PTA and some by STAR Nova. There is something offered every day, for every budget.  Flyers will be sent home in your child’s backpack to sign them up, or you can download them by clicking here.

          Monday:
          Plein Air Painting class by Eagle Rock Center for the Arts
          Oct. 10-December 15th
          3:00-5:00, meeting location tbd
          $150 for 10 week session

          Musical Theatre presenting "Cinderella"
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Homework Class (Monday-Thursday)
          grades 2-6 3:00-4:00
          grades K-1 4:00- 5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Tuesday:
          Kids Yoga with Gabrielle Benoit
          Oct. 11-Dec. 13
          1:45-2:30
          grades 1-6
          $70 for 10 week session

          Sewing Art and Fashion
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Fitness Fun (Tuesday-Friday)
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Wednesday:
          Hightouch Hightech After School Science Program
          Sept. 28-Nov. 16
          Group 1- 2:45-3:15 and Group 2 - 3:30-4:00
          $56 for 8 classes

          Hip Hop
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Thursday:
          Mt. Washington Children’s Chorus
          Starting Sept. 29th
          grades K-6 2:45-3:45 in the MPR
          $50 for the school year

          Skateboarding "build and skate"
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Friday:
          Chess Club
          Oct. 7- April 27
          2:30-3:30 at lunch pavilion
          $10 registration fee (parent volunteers appreciated)

          Cooking
          grades 2-6 3:00-4:00
          grades K-1 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          Ecostation Wildlife
          grades K-1 3:00-4:00
          grades 2-6 4:00-5:00
          Star Nova Class

          *All Star Nova Classes begin week of Oct. 3 through Dec.2
          For more information please contact Nicole at programs@...

          SIGN UP TO BECOME A ROOM REP

          The Room Rep serves as the closest link between our PTA and the school and to assist the teacher with classroom events.  If you are interested in volunteering as a Room Rep, or as an Assistant, please, visit our website, mwpta.org or click on the link: bit.ly/roomrepsignup to sign up.  Classrooms 6, 12, and 15 do not have any Room Reps.  You can also sign up in the parent center with Anvi Kevany, our Room Rep and Volunteers Coordinator.  The Room Rep and Volunteer Orientation will be held on Monday, October 3rd, 8:30 to 9:30 am.  Thank you very much to all off our room reps in advance, we could not do this without you!

          A Few Needs our Parent Center Has:

          If you could help us out in donating the items below, we would greatly appreciate it and we would not have to spend our children’s money on them.  Thank you very, very much for your generosity in advance!
          • Coffee (ground please)
          • Creamer
          • Hot cups and lids
          • Reams of paper
          • Office supplies such as: clear tape, staples, white out, glue sticks, rubber cement and pens
          • Trash bags

          You are subscribed to email updates from Mt. Washington Elementary PTA
          To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
          Email delivery powered by Google
        • Christopher Howard
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2012

            Begin forwarded message:

            From: "Mt. Washington Elementary PTA" <blog@...>

            Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

            MWPTA New Blog Posts

            Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

            2012 - 2013 MT. WASHINGTON PTA NOMINATED CANDIDATES:

            The following PTA members have been nominated for the 2012-2013 school year to serve as Board Members for the association:

            Alan Palmer - President
            Natalie Erwin - VP Communications
            Nicole Thomas - VP Programs
            Sharon Steele-Herran - VP Ways and Means
            Jane Park-Dolan - VP Volunteers & Room Representatives
            KathyTakarabe - Secretary
            Jackie Cahill - Treasurer
            Kim Ragno - Financial Secretary
            Queh Lam - Historian

            The election for the above candidates will be held at the PTA Association Meeting on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 5:30pm in the MPR.  Please come and join us, meet the candidates and cast your vote for your 2012-2013 PTA Board Officers.

            After the election, we will have our "Citizen's CPR" course, provided by the Red Cross from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.  Childcare will be provided.

            Several PTA Assistant and Chair positions are still available; please check in at the Parent Center if you are interested.

            GET YOUR PICTURES IN THE YEARBOOK

            The Yearbook Staff invites you to submit photos for the yearbook. If you've got great photos of class, school, PTA and FOMWS events, we'd like to see them.  Help us get as many photos as possible to create a terrific book everyone will want to have.  Specific events we are looking for are:
            Americana Night *  Autry Field Trips *  Casa de Adobe Field Trips *  Dairy Cow  *  Mt. Washington Elementary Garden *  Halloween and Pumpkin Festival  *  Pancake Breakfast  * Literacy and Science Night  *  Student Council Activities (pajama day, crazy hair day etc.)  *  Valentine’s Dance  *  VAPA (dance, theater, vocals, orchestra)  *  Voices Within  *  Winter Program

            Here is how you can submit photos online:
            • Go to: https://images.schoolannualonline.com/upload.jsp.  If it does not automatically log you into the site, enter user name: 400135581 and password: wolves .
            • Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload. Click Upload.
            • On the next screen enter information about the photo(s) so we know which event to use it for.
            •  Click "Save Details".
            It's that easy! Submit your photos today! The last day to submit photos is Monday March 6th.  Thank you very much for your help.

            Sincerely,
            2012 Yearbook Staff

            GREEN TEAM

            Our recycling program is back at work this Monday.  Please remember to bring in your recycling Monday morning.  We appreciate your help with keeping traffic moving at the safety valet drop off, and having your recycling ready to go in the car next to your child.  If your child needs assistance with the recyclables, a Green Team volunteer will be ready to help.  We are currently working on raising our second $1,000; so keep those bottles and cans coming.

            SAVE THE DATE - FOUNDERS DAY CELEBRATION, FRIDAY MARCH 9TH 1:30-3:30 MPR

            Join us to celebrate PTA and give special recognition to some of our hard working volunteers.  Come see our choir perform and meet other hard working volunteers.  Friday, March 9th 1:30-3:30 in the MPR.

          • Christopher Howard
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2012
              Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

              MWPTA New Blog Posts

              Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

              Fresh & Easy Shop for Schools

              SAVE, SAVE, SAVE those Fresh and Easy receipts!!!  The receipts can be turned in at the Main Office or the Parent Center, look for the white box.

              We have started off with a bang this week.  Only three days of collecting receipts and we are up to $38.00 of fundraising for our school.  Great job!!!

              Make sure and pickup all your favorite gift cards from Fresh and Easy, because those receipts also can be turned in and count towards our fundraising. Fresh and Easy sells gift cards for iTunes, Starbucks and various other vendors.

              Don’t forget to stop by the Main Office or the Parent Center to pickup your Fresh and Easy coupon.  Remember, you can use multiple coupons on one order, as long as you reach the required spending amount.

              No School This Monday, September 17th // Green Team will be Recycling on Tuesday, September 18th

              Reminder: there is no school this Monday, September 17th.  THE GREEN TEAM will be collecting your recycling Tuesday morning since Monday is a holiday.

              We Have a PTA Membership Drive Winner! Which Classrooms Will Get Second and Third?

              Congratulations to Room 5 and Mrs. Mori for being the first class to reach 100% participation for our PTA membership drive and winning a $100 LakeShore Learning gift card.  Second and third place are still up for grabs, so you still have a chance to win a $50 and a $25 gift card to an office supply store for your child’s teacher.  Rooms 1 and 2 are very close to achieving 100% membership, but it isn’t too late for the other classrooms catch up.  Thank you to everyone who has joined the MWPTA.  Our goal is 100% participation for the school so please be sure to fill out your membership envelop – extras can be found in the parents center if you need one.

              Direct Appeal Campaign 2012-13

            • Christopher Howard
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
                Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

                MWPTA New Blog Posts

                Link to Mt. Washington Elementary PTA

                Shop Amazon to Earn Money for MWES

                Want to avoid lines and earn money for Mt. Washington Elementary School? You can do both by doing your holiday shopping using AMAZON SchoolRewards which gives Mt. Washington Elementary School 10% back from EVERY purchase! Just use the following link: Mt. Washington Amazon Page

                Coffee with the Principal will be on Monday, December 10th in the Parent Center

                Join Mrs. Valentino for coffee this Monday, December 10th in the Parent Center immediately following the morning assembly.  This is your chance to hear directly from her what is going on at our school and to ask questions and have discussions in an informal setting.

                Our Fresh & Easy Shop for Schools is this Wednesday, 12/12/2012 from 4:00pm-8:00pm

                Our total fundraising to date is $2,344.  Our school has a chance to drive this amount up, up & up.  Our Shop Night is this Wednesday, 12/12/12 between 4pm and 8pm.  We will be collecting receipts from patrons and bagging groceries and earning 5% on all sales in the store.  So bring your brothers, your sisters, your neighbors and anyone else you can think of to shop at our local Fresh & Easy.  Last year we raised $971 at our Shop Night, this year let's try for $1,500. But we can only do it with your help.  We will have coupons to pass out to our parents & patrons and the best attended class, wins a Fresh & Easy party.

                Plus Fresh & Easy is fully stocked up on the following gift cards:  Starbucks, Macys, ToysRUs, JC Penney, Barns & Noble's, Home Depot, Kohls, iTunes, Best Buy, Red Lobster, PF Changs and many, many, more. Gift cards count towards our fundraising, so make sure you turn in your receipt.

                Winter Wonderland is this Friday, December 14th, 2012

                The MWES chorus will perform! Food will be served!  Home Alone 2 will be shown!  A wonderful way to end the week and start the holiday vacation!  Bring family, friends, neighbors.  Be on the lookout for more information...

                TOYS FOR TOTS – Reminder to drop off your new, unwrapped toys by December 14, 2012

                The TOYS FOR TOTS program sponsored by the United States Marine Corps collects new, unwrapped toys during each holiday season to help less fortunate children throughout America.  Starting December 3rd thru December 14th be sure to bring joy, and a message of hope, by donating any new, unwrapped toy during this  Holiday Drive as a gift for needy children in our communities.  Please drop off your new, unwrapped toy in the TOYS FOR TOTS box located in each classroom.  The classroom donating the most toys will win a cupcake party!  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email Mari Mejorado, Chair at mejorado@....

                New After School Enrichment Classes are Coming

                Be on the lookout for sign up flyers for the enrichment classes starting up after winter break.
                1. Intro to Conversational Spanish 2nd Session.  New and returning students are welcome.  Classes will be on Tuesdays, starting January 15, 2013 and ending March 19, 2013.  Class times are: Grade K-1: 1:45-2:15 and grades 2-6: 2:30-3:00.  The 10 week session is $100.  For more information please see the Spanish Flyer.
                2. Maya-ya Dance and Wings.  Classes will be on Fridays, starting January 11, 2013 and ending March 8, 2013 (no class on February 15th).  More information will be coming so be sure to watch your child’s backpack for the flyer.
                In addition, new enrichment classes will be starting up after winter break:
                1. In February, Eagle Rock Center for the Arts will be bringing the very anticipated Clay Hand Building class to Mount Washington Elementary School on Mondays.
                2. Wednesdays in the new year will see the return of Barbara Sultan teaching the popular Sketching for Fashion Design.
                More information on these classes and others will be forthcoming.

                PTA Thank Yous!

                The PTA wants to give a great big thank you to Kathy Takarabe for bringing us such insight and laughter during the parent workshop on Re-Inventing the Holidays.