Mt. Washington neighborhood watch signage

  • Mark Legassie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011
      =======================================
      ASNC can Help You Start a Neighborhood Watch, and
      Needs you Help to Determine Locations of 8 NW signs!
      =======================================
      The news media patch.com recently included a comment from a resident requesting to start a Neighborhood Watch in Mount Washington. If you would like help with this effort, I encourage you to attend your local Neighborhood Council's Public Safety Cmte meetings which are held every other 3rd Wed of the month (next meeting is 3/9 @ 7pm, Ramona Hall, 4580 Figueroa, 90065).

      The Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council (ASNC) also needs your help to determine NW sign locations. According to the Senior Lead Officer of LAPD's Hollenbeck Division, studies show that communities displaying NW signs show statistically lower crime rates than communities without signs. The Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council has purchased 25 NW signs (including 8 signs for Mt Washington)!! We also have the volunteers and tools to put them up. Caveat -- signs must be mounted on existing metal street light poles that do not contain traffic signs/lights.

      Our Public Safety Cmte is currently soliciting the best locations to put up these important signs. I encourage all Mt. Washington residents to weigh in on where these signs should be located by sending an email to safety@... (include exact street address, what direction sign should face, etc). We will solicit the appropriate approvals from LAPD, Engineering, and the Bureau of Street Lighting.

      In the meantime our ASNC Mt. Washington board reps are *also* helping determine the best locations for signs -- they will provide a report back to the Public Safety Cmte for review in March. Their feedback, along with your input, will help our committee determine the best locations to post these signs to reduce crime in your neighborhood.

      Cheers,
      Mark Legassie
      Chair, Public Safety Cmte
      Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council