Re: Eagle Rock Brewery | Thrillist

  • Joanne Turner
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 1, 2010
      First of all, let me apologize for offending some readers. I wasn't
      clear.

      I moved to Eagle Rock in 1976. When I told people where I lived,
      they would look at me strangely and ask where Eagle Rock was because
      they had never heard of it. I would say, "It's in Northeast Los
      Angeles." They would very often come back with something like,
      "Aren't there a bunch of gangs there?"

      A friend's sister attended Occidental College here in Eagle Rock as
      an undergraduate back in the late 1970s. My friend lived in Pasadena
      and would come to visit her sister on campus. I won't repeat how my
      friend characterized the areas on the way to and near the college.

      In the 80s and early 90s, graffiti from well-known gangs such as the
      Avenues often appeared on signage and walls. Tagging even invaded
      the Hill Drive area. There were many empty storefronts, and business
      owners that were on the boulevard wouldn't clean up trash in front of
      their stores, adding to the feeling of degradation. The city
      wouldn't groom the medians on a regular basis or remove weeds in
      public areas. I know, because I lived here and saw it.

      The president of Occidental at the time (Gilman, I think) did his
      best to segregate the college from the surrounding community because
      of this same perception. This was verified by a good friend and
      neighbor of mine who went to work as counsel to the succeeding
      president (whose name I can't recall). Even that president refused
      to live on campus in the designated President's House and instead
      chose a residence in Pasadena. Ted Mitchell was the first Occidental
      president to live on campus in many years, and, knowing what the rest
      of us knew, he worked to bring the college and the community together.

      This same friend and neighbor told me that parents coming to visit
      the college with their high school kids often expressed fear of the
      surrounding area and that many times it was a deal breaker. Even the
      college shuttle would take students to Old Pasadena for
      entertainment, bypassing our own neighborhood.

      Another related experience was with Blockbuster Video, particularly
      the store at the corner of Colorado and Eagle Rock (the location
      where McDonald's wanted to move into), which was the first
      Blockbuster established in Northeast Los Angeles. In the late 1990s,
      TERA was dealing directly with Blockbuster regarding its proposal to
      take over the former Security Pacific Bank building and its wish to
      install a pole sign. (Blockbuster had very often erected either
      facade signage or low-level monument signs in "better" areas and
      thought they could get away with an unattractive pole sign here.)

      The company was very hesitant to move into Northeast Los Angeles at
      all, because the Blockbuster representatives told us to our faces
      that the area had a reputation as crime-ridden and fraught with
      gangs. In fact, one of the things that convinced Blockbuster to
      follow through and open the store was the presence of the Colorado
      Boulevard Specific Plan, which was written to improve business
      development throughout the area. And, we got them to ditch the pole
      sign.

      So, my first-hand experience tells me this less-than-ideal view of
      Eagle Rock did exist at one time. Please know that I wouldn't have
      purchased a home in this community, raised my children here, and
      volunteered my time if I didn't believe we could turn this perception
      around.

      Happy New Year, everyone.

      Joanne Turner
      artburn@...

    • Ara Kassabian
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 5, 2010
        And, ironically, San Antonio winery is NOT located in San Antonio...
        Ara

        P.S. :-)
        From: car253 <car2532002@...>

        There is also San Antonio Winery.