Re: About the Neutral 710 Freeway

  • ms360b
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
      Two things which are sort of parallel to the issues being discussed so far.
      1] Tolls
      I read an article by a writer for a national trucking association about the 710 and wrote him asking him if he thought the harbor truckers would be willing to pay a toll to use a tunnel to save themselves some time. I gave him some background on the issue, and said I wasn't trying to convert him, just make him aware of the real background (i.e., a viewpoint other than Caltrans).
      He wrote back and said the Sacramento people (CT & the pls) did not mention a toll to pay for the tunnel, got the impression it was a done deal, and no, he didn't think the truckers (or the companies they worked for) would pay to use a tunnel, not in today's market.

      2] The Echo Park Community Action Committee in their October newsletter speaks about MTA selling them out about the reconfiguration of the Glendale 2 Fwy terminus.
      Here's a quote:
      October, 2009—In August, the Metropolitan
      Transportation Authority's (Metro) Project
      Manager told the community that it would
      recommend design Alternative D for the
      reconfiguration of the SR2 Glendale Freeway
      Terminus. Now, Metro has done a turnaround
      and withdrawn its support for the Alternative D.
      Project Manager Irving Taylor said that Metro
      would support a Caltrans proposal for a "hybrid
      enhanced no-build alternative" design. Taylor
      states that the new "hybrid," which Metro does
      not label with a number or letter, would be sent
      to Metro's Planning and Programming
      Committee for review on November 19. He also
      claims this new "hybrid" does not require a new
      environmental review.
      MTA will have a community meeting about the new design:
      Metro Meeting, Wed., Nov. 4
      at Mayberry School
      Metro will host a public meeting on Wednesday,
      November 4, at Mayberry School, from 6:00-
      8:00 p.m., to show the concept to the public.
      This will be Metro's only outreach for this
      proposal.
      If one of the SR710 options includes a tie in with the SR2 then this matter should be of concern to us.
      I'm going to read the proposal (MTA website
      http://www.metro.net/projects_studies/freeway_terminus/
      and may go to the meeting and ask if their change has anything to do with the SR710...

      ms360b/lynda