710 Tunnel in NELA - Meeting 6/16

  • Scott Piotrowski
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
      On Tuesday, June 16, Caltrans, at the request of the Glassell Park Improvement Association's Land Use Committee, will conduct a presentation to the neighborhoods of Northeast Los Angeles. This presentation will discuss the ongoing soil sample study that Caltrans is undertaking to determine the feasibility of creating a tunnel through the area to complete the Interstate 710 gap.

      Originally, this "gap closure" was supposed to continue the 710 north through South Pasadena to connect at an interchange with CA-134 and I-210 in Pasadena. However, South Pasadena and its residents have fought this extension for over 40 years. Now, Caltrans is looking to create a "710 extension" (the change in terminology is important!) to complete the 710 and allow truck traffic to continue on a northward journey from the ports of Los Angeles to points north along I-5 and points east and north along I-210.

      On Tuesday, June 16, the GPIA's Land Use Committee hopes to bring together our neighbors from Cypress Park, Lincoln Heights, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, and Mount Washington to hear what Caltrans has been undertaking, and get a first-hand account of what is in the works for our future. What exactly does the soil testing mean, and will a tunnel open in Glassell Park and split our community once again? Come to Ramona Hall on June 16 and find out!

      Scott Piotrowski
      Director, 66 Productions (www.66productions.com)
      Vice President, Glassell Park Improvement Association
    • Tina Gulotta-Miller
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
        Scott,

        What time is the meeting?

        Tina Gulotta-Miller

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
          What time is this meeting?

          What is the street address of Ramona Hall?

          Thanks

          Brian Frobisher
          Glassell Park

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
            To my knowledge the meeting is scheduled for 6.30 PM-
            the address is 4580 N. Figueroa St (not far from the Southwest Museum)

            Spread the word!
            The proposed route #2 would put a freeway interchange in the heart of Glassell Park!

            Frank

            --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Brian Frobisher <froby@...> wrote:

            What time is this meeting?

            What is the street address of Ramona Hall?

            Thanks

            Brian Frobisher
            Glassell Park

            >On Tuesday, June 16, Caltrans, at the request of the Glassell Park Improvement Association' s Land Use Committee, will conduct a presentation to the neighborhoods of Northeast Los Angeles. <snip>

            Come to Ramona Hall on June 16 and find out!

            >Scott Piotrowski
            >Director, 66 Productions (www.66productions. com)
            >Vice President, Glassell Park Improvement Association

          • Tom Williams
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
              NELA 710ers

              The Zone 2 and West Zone 3 could bring the tunnels out from the North side of Mt Wash - let's say between Scandia Way and Verdugo View, above the elevation of Toland...the road has to be high enough to get over Eagle Rock and to connect to the elevated portion of SR2.

              Portal, interchange and Viaduct structure would take out 20-50 homes plus alot of businesses as the SR2 needs ramps to get to the south bound SR710 Portal and Scandia/VerdugoView would look like the Caldecott Tunnel entrance in Berkeley-Oakland in SFBay Area, also on the SR710 website.

              Tom Williams

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 2, 2009
                Frank is correct. The meeting begins at 6:30pm with an open house / registration period. The nuts and bolts will probably begin around 7:00pm.

                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, frank pasker <fpasker@...> wrote:

                > To my knowledge the meeting is scheduled for 6.30 PM-
                > the address is 4580 N. Figueroa St (not far from the Southwest Museum)
                >
                > Spread the word!
                > The proposed route #2 would put a freeway interchange in the heart of Glassell Park!
                >
                > Frank
                >

                > --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Brian Frobisher <froby@...> wrote:
                >

                > What time is this meeting?
                >
                > What is the street address of Ramona Hall?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Brian Frobisher
                > Glassell Park

              • brian kinney
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2009
                  Hi Scott,your date for the 710 meeting is the same time as the GPNC stakeholders meeting.So, unfortunately that eliminates a full board.  Regardless, and I can not say this for sure, but if it is possible to save all documentation in regards to this meeting.  It's definitely appreciated that you took the initiative to put this together.  There is no dispute there.  It would have better still to have been included (GPNC) on some level so the GPNC could have time to take action, i.e. procure a digital recorder in time to record event for podcasts because this is a serious issue (710).  If anyone is going to record the event (podcasts or video) , let us know.  These are things we would like to put in our "library of congress" if you will (an external hard drive containing all said information per issues affecting the community which our groups share).  Since we missed the boat in regards to timing with each other perhaps we can make sure it is
                  recorded in some way.ThanksBrian

                  -
                • Joanne Turner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 8, 2009
                    It seems to me the 710 Tunnel meeting is important enough to postpone
                    the GPNC meeting a day or a week, particularly since Glassell Park
                    would be most impacted by this if Caltrans ultimately decides to go
                    ahead with the route through Northeast LA. Show up early and always,
                    and be prepared, just like South Pasadena has for 40+ years. There
                    is strength in numbers, and there is still time to change the meeting
                    date.

                    Joanne Turner
                    artburn@...
                  • Guillermo Reyes jr.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 8, 2009
                      we the greater cypress park nc did postpone our meeting to attend the cal trans meeting
                      Guillermo Reyes jr
                      ________________________________
                      From: Joanne Turner <artburn@...>

                      It seems to me the 710 Tunnel meeting is important enough to postpone
                      the GPNC meeting a day or a week, particularly since Glassell Park
                      would be most impacted by this if Caltrans ultimately decides to go
                      ahead with the route through Northeast LA. Show up early and always,
                      and be prepared, just like South Pasadena has for 40+ years. There
                      is strength in numbers, and there is still time to change the meeting
                      date.

                      Joanne Turner
                      artburn@earthlink. net
                    • brian kinney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2009
                        Joanne, As it may not be that easy, in lieu of this snafu of scheduling between the GPIA and GPNC, is there someone to video record the event, or someone with a digital recording device to create a podcast.  The GPNC can take this information from there and make good use of it.  In the meantime, we are formulating some information and questions that will have to be funneled through Scott since our groups are at odds, per the meeting date.
                        Again, this is a huge issue, so in future situations, can we work on the networking aspect?In prior emails, I mentioned it didn't matter who took the initiative but that we were all included somehow as a group.  We missed the boat on this one , so let it serve as a reminder that strength is in numbers.  Nevertheless, it should be recognized that Scott through the GPIA did take the time to put together a meeting which requires time and work. The community will have an opportunity to engage the process and that is what we are looking for at this time.  Since some of us may not be able to attend, how can we record that information?
                        Brian

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 8, 2009
                          I have to really laugh about the GPNC wanting to make videos of any of their meetings.

                          They were the group that was lying to someone taking videos at their meetings a while back.

                          Bradley was telling the videographer that he had "Spoken with the City Attorney" and that she was NOT ALLOWED to video tape the GPNC meeting.

                          I hope they don't toss the next person out also.

                          There were definately "Strength in numbers" at that GPNC meeting, the entire board against one person with a video camera and most of the crowd of 12 grumbling at her also.

                          Brian Frobisher
                          Glassell Park.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2009
                            In any case Brian,we hope to have live web casts of stakeholder meetings in the near future, to have podcasts of meetings, and to use the same technology for forums.  This is still in an exploratory phase.  But it is doable.  The purpose of having a live webcast, or to have full length podcasts is to not only provide outreach for people not able to attend but to also provide the most transparency per said meetings and forums.  This technology will be of course available to the GPIA in order that it should be able to create better outreach and provide live webcasts of any forums they create.  I seriously envision a scenario where both the GPNC and GPIA benefit from this.  Lastly, because the meetings or forums are in full length via either podcast or live web streaming, then it also ensures that what happens is seen in its entire process instead of snippets which can be edited per a persons bias, regardless of said incident.  This protects both
                            parties from pointing a finger at each other because the whole meeting or forum is laid bare.  Therefore, the truth as it were, can only be ascertained from viewing or listening to the whole process.  The audience will be the judge based on that and that is the most fair and transparent way to let the actions of said events speak for themselves.  I hope that in time your laugh is turned into a smile.  Only time will tell :)Brian KinneyArea 6 rep GPNC
                            I appreciate the GPIA's time in putting something together and I understand the reasoning for said date at this time, even though it conflicts with the stakeholder meeting at this time.
                            brian
                          • mgealer@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 9, 2009
                              While I agree that the GPNC and its reps could and should attend meeting...its boat has been out at sea for years now, with very few hands on deck. At this time GPIA can represent GP.
                              Mike Gealer
                            • Scott Piotrowski
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 9, 2009
                                Unfortunately, someone's schedule had to be compromised. The GPIA Land Use Committee has been working with the Sierra Group and Caltrans to schedule this at a time conducive to as many people as possible for the very reasons mentioned below. We were pushing for a Thursday evening so that fewer schedules would be impacted. None worked out in the schedule. It was decided that unfortunately, the 16th was the best available date for the parties involved. It was hoped that the GPNC and CPNC could both adjust their schedules accordingly in light of the sensitive nature of this presentation.

                                In the future, anyone wishing to join us for our discussions regarding the 710 can attend our Land Use Committee meetings. They are usually held the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at the Glassell Park Community Center. (Our next one, on June 17th, will be held at The Verdugo instead due to parking lot repaving issues at the Community Center.)

                                Vice President, Glassell Park Improvement Association (www.gpia.org)

                                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, brian kinney <bpk257@...> wrote:

                                > Joanne, As it may not be that easy, in lieu of this snafu of scheduling between the GPIA and GPNC, is there someone to video record the event, or someone with a digital recording device to create a podcast.  The GPNC can take this information from there and make good use of it.  In the meantime, we are formulating some information and questions that will have to be funneled through Scott since our groups are at odds, per the meeting date.
                                > Again, this is a huge issue, so in future situations, can we work on the networking aspect?In prior emails, I mentioned it didn't matter who took the initiative but that we were all included somehow as a group.  We missed the boat on this one , so let it serve as a reminder that strength is in numbers.  Nevertheless, it should be recognized that Scott through the GPIA did take the time to put together a meeting which requires time and work. The community will have an opportunity to engage the process and that is what we are looking for at this time.  Since some of us may not be able to attend, how can we record that information?
                                > Brian
                                >
                                > --- On Mon, 6/8/09, Joanne Turner <artburn@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > From: Joanne Turner <artburn@...>
                                >
                                > It seems to me the 710 Tunnel meeting is important enough to postpone
                                >
                                > the GPNC meeting a day or a week, particularly since Glassell Park
                                >
                                > would be most impacted by this if Caltrans ultimately decides to go
                                >
                                > ahead with the route through Northeast LA. Show up early and always,
                                >
                                > and be prepared, just like South Pasadena has for 40+ years. There
                                >
                                > is strength in numbers, and there is still time to change the meeting
                                >
                                > date.
                                >

                                > Joanne Turner
                                >
                                > artburn@earthlink. net
                              • Joanne Turner
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 10, 2009
                                  The number of bodies at the Caltrans meeting will make a difference,
                                  and you can do your exploratory webcast there. As your
                                  "stakeholders" are just that, conduct your stakeholder meeting at the
                                  GPIA event. You can discuss other business afterwards. It's a
                                  grand opportunity for your "seriously envision[ed] . . . scenario
                                  where both the GPNC and GPIA benefit from this." This is the time to
                                  come together.

                                  Joanne Turner

                                • Pamela Welden
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 10, 2009
                                    Is there a website or somewhere I can see the proposal for the tunnel that
                                    starts where the 710 ends and goes through Glassell Park?

                                    pamela
                                  • ms360b
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 11, 2009
                                      Pamela,

                                      There are so many posts on the list, but if you do a search using
                                      SR710, you'll find most of the postings which include info on the
                                      various routes and locations.
                                      Here's the website for the people working it (for the govt.)

                                      www.710tunnelstudy.info <http://www.710tunnelstudy.info>
                                      you can check it out yourself.

                                      hope this assists,
                                      ms360b/lynda

                                      --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Welden <pamelawelden@...> wrote:

                                      > Is there a website or somewhere I can see the proposal for the tunnel
                                      that
                                      > starts where the 710 ends and goes through Glassell Park?
                                      >
                                      > pamela

                                    • Scott Piotrowski
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 11, 2009
                                        Unfortunately, Pamela, Caltrans continues to insist that this is a "route-neutral" feasibility study only, and that "that is the type of question that will be answered at the EIR stage."

                                        What all of that mumble-jumble means is that Caltrans is insisting that they have not chosen the route a tunnel would take yet, and that therefore the exact paths are not available on a map.

                                        One of our Land Use Committee members, however, has created a vision of what a portal and ramp connection to the 2 near York Boulevard would look like. We will be sharing that vision with everyone on Tuesday, June 16. Hope to see you there.