Beautiful Old Street Trees Cut Down On So. Ave 56 Today!!!

  • nickigatto
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
      Today, about midday, 3 street trees were cut down on South Ave 56 between Figueroa and Echo despite the protests of neighbors. Street services is apparently coming back tomorrow (Friday) to cut down and or trim some others.

      Ave 56 is a beautiful, shaded street with some impressively old and tall camphors, ficus and oaks.

      Why do these trees (some probably 50-100 years old) have to be sacrificed to smooth out the sidewalk? With all our technological abilities, can we not find another way to solve this problem?

      Some neighbors will be attempting to prevent the additional trees from being cut down Friday. Phone calls to our elected officials are planned.

      Nicole Gatto
    • maureenblatt@yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 2:34 PM
          Hello everyone,
          Our office is working on this issue with the Bureau of Urban Forestry (UF).

          The project on Ave 56 between N Figueroa & Echo Street is a sidewalk repair project.

          As with all sidewalk projects it is done in phases, below is a brief explanation of the phases:
          (1) Inspection - trees are inspected to see if they will be strong with root pruning, Urban Forestry (UF) determines if trees need to be removed (either they are dead, diseased or will not withstand after root pruning),
          (2) Trimming and/or Removal - UF comes out to trim trees and remove trees that will not be stable after root pruning,
          (3) Concrete cement is removed,
          (4) Root Pruning - roots are pruned on the trees that require it & caged
          (5) Installation - sidewalks are installed
          (6) Replacement - trees that were removed should be replaced.

          There are 3 out of about 17 trees on the street that were scheduled to be removed, deemed not savable by Urban Forestry. One Camphor tree was removed this week that was planted adjacent to a power pole, both lifting the adjacent sidewalk and driveway. UF proposes to remove two Ficus trees in front of 147 S Ave 56, but because they have received concerns from neighbors they have stopped this order. They will hold a public hearing to determine if the trees should be removed or remain intact. If they are not removed, the sidewalks will not be repaired in front of 147 S Ave 56. I would like to clarify that there was only one tree removed on this block and the other two will be determined at a public hearing in the near future.

          According to the UF, these same sidewalks (147 S Ave 56) were fixed years ago and they were able to save the trees by pruning the roots. However, this time they do not think that the trees will be strong enough to sustain after a second root pruning. There will not be any work done on the trees, with the exception of trimming, until a final decision is made at the hearing. Which means the remainder of the street will have to wait on sidewalk repairs.

          Once I have the date on the public hearing, I will post it on the nelalist. The public hearing will be the community's opportunity to share why they feel the trees should remain. I encourage all to attend when it is scheduled.

          Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am more than happy to address any concern(s).

          Thank You,

          Suzanne Jimenez, Field Deputy
          Councilmember Ed P. Reyes
          Lincoln Heights Field Office
          163 South Avenue 24, Suite 202
          Los Angeles, CA 90031
          (213) 485-0763
          (213) 485-8908 FAX
          E-mail: suzanne.e.jimenez@...
          Website: www.cd1.lacity.org

          SIgn up for Councilmember Ed P. Reyes monthly E-Newsletter - http://www.lacity.org/council/cd1/signup.htm

          >>> On 4/30/2009 at 11:09 PM, "nickigatto" <nativewoman@...> wrote:

          Today, about midday, 3 street trees were cut down on South Ave 56 between Figueroa and Echo despite the protests of neighbors. Street services is apparently coming back tomorrow (Friday) to cut down and or trim some others.

          Ave 56 is a beautiful, shaded street with some impressively old and tall camphors, ficus and oaks.

          Why do these trees (some probably 50-100 years old) have to be sacrificed to smooth out the sidewalk? With all our technological abilities, can we not find another way to solve this problem?

          Some neighbors will be attempting to prevent the additional trees from being cut down Friday. Phone calls to our elected officials are planned.

          Nicole Gatto
        • christo90065
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 3:20 PM
            Hi Suzanne,

            Thanks for the informative and timely update.

            Chris Howard

            --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne Jimenez" <suzanne.e.jimenez@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            > Our office is working on this issue with the Bureau of Urban Forestry (UF).
            >
            > The project on Ave 56 between N Figueroa & Echo Street is a sidewalk repair project.
            <snip>
            > Once I have the date on the public hearing, I will post it on the nelalist. The public hearing will be the community's opportunity to share why they feel the trees should remain. I encourage all to attend when it is scheduled.
            >
            > Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am more than happy to address any concern(s).
            >

            > Thank You,
            >
            > Suzanne Jimenez, Field Deputy
            > Councilmember Ed P. Reyes
            > Lincoln Heights Field Office
            > 163 South Avenue 24, Suite 202
            > Los Angeles, CA 90031
            > (213) 485-0763
            > (213) 485-8908 FAX
            > E-mail: suzanne.e.jimenez@...
            > Website: www.cd1.lacity.org
            >

            > SIgn up for Councilmember Ed P. Reyes monthly E-Newsletter - http://www.lacity.org/council/cd1/signup.htm
            >
            > P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

            > Today, about midday, 3 street trees were cut down on South Ave 56 between Figueroa and Echo despite the protests of neighbors. Street services is apparently coming back tomorrow (Friday) to cut down and or trim some others.
            >
            > Ave 56 is a beautiful, shaded street with some impressively old and tall camphors, ficus and oaks.
            >
            > Why do these trees (some probably 50-100 years old) have to be sacrificed to smooth out the sidewalk? With all our technological abilities, can we not find another way to solve this problem?
            >
            > Some neighbors will be attempting to prevent the additional trees from being cut down Friday. Phone calls to our elected officials are planned.
            >
            > Nicole Gatto

          • Tom Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 6:53 PM
              NELATreers

              Let's look at the process as on Monday (more than 50 trees on private lands and street zones) and Wednesday 6 May at 9:30am the Board of Public Works will consider and usually approve request for private and City forces to remove eighty-four trees (various species) from 3200-3700 block of Motor Avenue for Motor Avenue Community Tree Improvement Project
              – tree replacements are required.

              Someone in Street Services started the work order...they then notify the District Councilmember's office for any comments. An arborist then goes out and identifies and assess the type, condition, etc. of the affected trees and tags the tree. They also put notices on the tree that is to be removed...Then the work order approval goes to the Board and they usually approve removal if two to four trees are replanted or provided to the Urban Forestry for planting within the site or nearby....

              I have been protesting at the Board during Public Comments for Audubon and everytime a tree removal comes up - Monday and Wednesday -- that the tree replacement uses two-four 2in diameter trees to replace upto 48in trees

              I have been protesting at the Citizen's Urban Forestry Committee...also next week - Thursday afternoon, see agenda - http://lacity.org/bpw/agendas/bpwagendas8659847_05072009.pdf

              So I belive Reyes' office knew that they would be removed and no one knew on the street....maybe, or just didn't care til you see the cutters...Best of Luck - I will protest the situation on Monday or til you get a meeting....

              Tom Williams

            • maureenblatt@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6 9:00 AM
                Ms. Jimmenez,

                I and the residents of my sreeet appreciate that the tree crew came yesterday to cut 3 very small limbs which was hiding the stop sign on our street  According to my neighbor, there was less than than five minutes of work.

                I have spoken again with my neighbors and they have re-itered that, if you require, we again will sign anything you require to have the speed  bumps installed
                .

                Thank you for your help.

                Maureen R. Blatt

                From: Suzanne Jimenez <suzanne.e.jimenez@...>