Re:Where to buy discount tile?

  • Judith Dancoff
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
      Mortarless Building Supply Co. on Fletcher in Atwater 323/663-3291 is always
      worth a trip--they have an extraordinary collection of tiles, if you don't
      mind the chaos. Hard to say if they'll be a lot cheaper than Mission Tile,
      but there's always the chance that you'll find some hidden gem in one of
      their old sheds.

      Have fun! J. Dancoff
    • Ara Kassabian
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
        It still will not be cheap, but Mortarless (on Fletcher) is cheaper than Mission Tile. Alternatively, you can try the tile places on Figueroa by Home Depot. They will not have the original, but they may have tile that matches the style you are looking for.

        Ara

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
          Mortarless Tile on Fletcher Drive carries some of the old tiles and new ones
          too. Check them out.

          Ruby
        • frank pasker
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
            When we did our bathroom 3 years ago, we shopped around quite a bit- and the least expensive source happened to be home depot- The same tile cost there less than half what you'd pay for at Mortarless or the tile store right next to Home Depot.
            If you're looking for something special, try the tile stores in Glendale, along San Fernando Road. There's half a dozen of them- but they're a bit more expensove than HD.

            Frank
            \
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
              New Metro Tile is a bit of a drive but I've always found them to have
              the best prices. Whether they have the tile you're looking for
              is another story but they are worth a look:

              http://www.newmetrotile.com/

              Carol
            • iscout
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                There is an area on State St in Anaheim called the Tile Mile.
                There are dozens of tile, granite, marble warehouses with huge
                selection and wholesale prices. It's fun to go and check out even if
                you are not shopping. Especially all the exotic marble. Better than
                Disneyland.

                http://www.debbiesbook.com/catalog/T/B1799.html

                I bought slate there for $2/sqft when everyone else in LA had it at
                $4/sqft.

                When you go to a local store and they tell you; "we'll get it for you
                in x days", that's where they get it from. I learned this from a
                contractor friend.

                Marino Pascal
                Glassell Park
              • sweaver654@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Oddly enough I found Expo Design Center in Monrovia had some interesting tiles. Also Lowes in Burbank had some as well. Neither of these have the variety of those previously suggested.

                  Sallie
                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
                    one of those San Fernando stores that has an EXCELLENT selection of
                    tile is
                    United Team Tile - 3235 San Fernando Road - 323-257-8181.

                  • Joanne Turner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I visited every place
                      mentioned but still could not find what I am looking for (Mortarless
                      was indeed chaotic, but a GREAT source for a broken-tile project).
                      In the process I found a few other places that have good selections
                      at far better prices than Mission Tile. If we had a Spanish Colonial
                      Revival house, we would have hit the jackpot.

                      Arts and Crafts 4x4" and 2x2" hand-made and almost matt-glazed,
                      slightly textured field tile (no design image) with subtle color
                      variation (warm greenish gold) in each tile is what I am searching
                      for -- something you'd find surrounding a fireplace in an early 20th-
                      century California bungalow, similar to Grueby, Rookwood, or
                      Batchelder. I'm determined to find either the manufacturer and/or
                      the distributor. Thanks again.

                      Joanne Turner

                    • Jennifer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Don't forget CV Tile:

                        http://www.cvtile.com/

                        Pasadena Location
                        Phone: 626-584-8300
                        Fax: 626-584-0463
                        E-mail: cvatile@...
                        Hours: M-F: 8:00am to 6:00pm • Sat: 8:00am to 3:00pm
                        90 N. Los Robles Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101
                        (Corner of Union & Los Robles)

                        Very nice showroom at the Pasadena location.

                        Good luck!

                        J.

                        --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Joanne Turner <joanne@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I visited every place
                        > mentioned but still could not find what I am looking for (Mortarless
                        > was indeed chaotic, but a GREAT source for a broken-tile project).
                        > In the process I found a few other places that have good selections
                        > at far better prices than Mission Tile. If we had a Spanish Colonial
                        > Revival house, we would have hit the jackpot.
                        >
                        > Arts and Crafts 4x4" and 2x2" hand-made and almost matt-glazed,
                        > slightly textured field tile (no design image) with subtle color
                        > variation (warm greenish gold) in each tile is what I am searching
                        > for -- something you'd find surrounding a fireplace in an early 20th-
                        > century California bungalow, similar to Grueby, Rookwood, or
                        > Batchelder. I'm determined to find either the manufacturer and/or
                        > the distributor. Thanks again.
                        >
                        > Joanne Turner

                      • Judith Dancoff
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Joanne--I know just the tile you mean. Somewhere in my files I have a
                          manufacturer. As I search for the info (may take a while), try this out:

                          Daltile
                          3550 Tyburn St
                          Los Angeles, CA 90065
                          (323) 257-7553

                          They're in Atwater, just off San Fernando Rd. as you head toward Glendale
                          Blvd. You will be amazed to see what they have, selling things Mission Tile
                          West has for 1/2 the price. Of course they're wholesale, so you need a
                          wholesale # to buy. They're also not costumer oriented, not even much of a
                          showroom, though they do have lots of boards. Also, there person there will
                          probably be able to point you to what you wwant. If you can't get a
                          wholesale #, though, they're still a great place to conduct research and
                          find the tile you want.

                          Good luck--Judith Dancoff
                        • Joanne Turner
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Thanks so much, Judith. I'll definitely visit them. I LOVE that
                            they're close!

                            Joanne

                            On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Judith Dancoff wrote:

                            > Joanne--I know just the tile you mean. Somewhere in my files I have a
                            > manufacturer. As I search for the info (may take a while), try this
                            > out:
                            >
                            > Daltile
                            > 3550 Tyburn St
                            > Los Angeles, CA 90065
                            > (323) 257-7553
                            >
                            > They're in Atwater, just off San Fernando Rd. as you head toward Glendale
                            > Blvd. You will be amazed to see what they have, selling things Mission Tile
                            > West has for 1/2 the price. Of course they're wholesale, so you need a
                            > wholesale # to buy. They're also not costumer oriented, not even much of a
                            > showroom, though they do have lots of boards. Also, there person there will
                            > probably be able to point you to what you wwant. If you can't get a
                            > wholesale #, though, they're still a great place to conduct research and
                            > find the tile you want.
                            >
                            > Good luck--Judith Dancoff

                          • Helen and David
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                              Dear Joanne,

                              We used a combination of sources, Dal Tile for the field tiles, where
                              cost can be an issue for larger installations and Foothill Tile and
                              Stone for the porcelin and tumbled glass tiles we used for design.
                              Foothill has a very large selection of tile in all styles.

                              Foothill Tile & Stone Co.
                              2272 E. Walnut Street. Pasadena. CA 91107
                              Tel: 626 396 9620 | Fax: 626 396 9621| info@...

                              I also found this out of state producer of Arts and Crafts tiles that
                              would "make" a fireplace installation just fabulous:

                              www.jmjtile.com

                              JMJ tiles are carried by Mission Tile, but they also do sell a line
                              of tiles on-line. I don't know if there is a big mark-up on those
                              tiles when Mission gets them for you. Personally I think they're
                              really worth the splurge...check it out.

                              There's one other producer that's also back east that has wonderful
                              period tiles. I'll send it along as soon as I can locate it.

                              Best,

                              Helen Gustavson

                              --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Joanne Turner <joanne@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks so much, Judith. I'll definitely visit them. I LOVE that
                              > they're close!
                              >
                              > Joanne
                              >

                              > On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Judith Dancoff wrote:
                              >
                              > > Joanne--I know just the tile you mean. Somewhere in my files I
                              have a
                              > > manufacturer. As I search for the info (may take a while), try
                              this
                              > > out:
                              > >
                              > > Daltile
                              > > 3550 Tyburn St
                              > > Los Angeles, CA 90065
                              > > (323) 257-7553
                              > >
                              > > They're in Atwater, just off San Fernando Rd. as you head toward
                              Glendale
                              > > Blvd. You will be amazed to see what they have, selling things
                              Mission Tile
                              > > West has for 1/2 the price. Of course they're wholesale, so you
                              need a
                              > > wholesale # to buy. They're also not costumer oriented, not even
                              much of a
                              > > showroom, though they do have lots of boards. Also, there person
                              there will
                              > > probably be able to point you to what you wwant. If you can't get
                              > > wholesale #, though, they're still a great place to conduct
                              research and
                              > > find the tile you want.
                              > >
                              > > Good luck--Judith Dancoff

                            • Joanne Turner
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                                Thanks, Helen. I found the company that makes the tiles I'm
                                interested in. It's in New Mexico. At this point, though, my
                                husband and I haven't decided whether we want to do something
                                traditional (Arts and Crafts) or something more modern. We're still
                                looking and appreciate everyone's recommendations. Jennifer's
                                suggestion of CV Tile in Pasadena was a particularly good one.

                                Joanne

                                Joanne Turner
                                Associate Publisher
                                The Arroyo Seco Journal
                                joanne@...
                                (323) 259-8897
                                (323) 559-2234 (cell)

                              • Helen and David
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                                  Joanne,

                                  Found the other source for tiles that are truly works of art to
                                  incorporate into your fireplace layout:

                                  www.missionguild.com

                                  Hope your project goes well.

                                  Helen Gustavson