New emailing list for Northeast LA

  • Marino Pascal
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2001
      Dear Neighbors,

      First of all apologies to those who received triplicate invitations. Human
      Error. Mine.Sorry...

      We are retiring the GPIA and NELA mailing lists from Listbot and transferring
      them to Yahoogroups.

      Listbot will not support archives older than a year and that's a pity because
      it's nice to have available a history of our discussions and announcements.
      The Friends of LA River (FOLAR) is also on Yahoogroups
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/la-river-discuss

      Ours is here
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nelalist

      I merged the GPIA and NELA lists to one, nelalist@yahoogroups.com This is not
      dissing Glassel Park, that's where I live, but initially I thought there would
      be too much traffic to keep in one group. Well, I was wrong. We get 1-4 messages
      a month and most of them are crossposted on both lists and some people subscribe
      to both so we may as well merge them into one.

      This last election was yet another lesson on how fragmented and politically
      impotent our community is because of district boundaries. We are split into 3
      districts. Perhaps the most important task we face is to demand that with
      redistricting this year(or next?) the communities of Northeast become one
      Council district.

      The Supreme Court has stressed it several times that redistricting should
      respect natural community boundaries. Am I wrong? Do you think we have more
      power being represented by 3 Council members?

      Marino Pascal
    • hey4abbott@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2001
        I agree! Marino.

        Louis Abbott
      • crdeo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2001
          in some ways we may have more power with 3 council reps but they can't spend
          as much time as we;d like with our area so i think we'd be much better with
          one for our NE DISTRICT.