Re: [nelalist] Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction

  • perpetua98@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is an injunction ??? I know vaguely
      what it is, but how does it work against the gangmembers ??

    • bluspark97@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        Generically, an injunction is another word for a court order. Thus, the judge
        in this case has ordered the Avenues members to stop congregating,
        associating, etc. Violating the court order is tantamount to contempt of
        court and is a separate misdemeanor offense for which the gang members can be
        arrested.

        Eddie Rivera
        Northeast Observer
      • Joe Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
          The real question here is whether the injunction will be enforced, and enforced with the level of enthusiasm that it should be. I have seen cases where small neighborhoods or parks were totally cleaned up as a result of these legal actions, but in the case of the Avenues, you are talking about a huge gang who's members live all over the place.
          Joe
          bluspark97@... wrote:Generically, an injunction is another word for a court order. Thus, the judge
          in this case has ordered the Avenues members to stop congregating,
          associating, etc. Violating the court order is tantamount to contempt of
          court and is a separate misdemeanor offense for which the gang members can be
          arrested.

          Eddie Rivera
          Northeast Observer

          NortheastLA e-mail Discussion list.
          http://www.NortheastLA.org

          To mail a new message to this group mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com
          To reply publicly on this message use "Reply to All"
          To reply to the sender only Use "Reply"
          To unsubscribe use mailto:nelalist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com