Blue Line Authorithy requests Av 45 closure.

  • Chris Howard
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      A truck was blocking the Av 43 110 onramp South during rush hour this
      morning. It reminded me of MWA lawyer Larry Hoffmans concern that
      closure of Avenue 45 is a possible outcome of "winning" the PUC grade
      crossing protest. Would the closure of Avenue 45 constitute a public
      saftey hazard with respect to emergency services access or would it
      be merely an inconvenence to those living on the hill? Has this issue
      been addressed before? It seems to me the South Pasadena grade
      crossing problems are being resolved through street closures.

      Chris Howard
    • Robert Mendel
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        Ave 45 closure is potentially a great idea - might solve way more problems
        than it would create.
        Good luck!
        Rob Mendel
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
          You must be kidding! Did you every try to get down from the hill to
          find Marmion Way backed up from Figueroa? What about emergency
          vehicles access? It would only be via Marmion Way!

          If Ave 45 is closed, EVERYONE would have to go around either to
          Figueroa or up to Ave 50. Talk about traffic. Closing Ave 45 is not
          an option.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
            Can't believe closure of the neighborhoods access to the market, gas
            station, cleaners, and freeway is a good solution. Maybe it is better than
            what is being built but certainly not a satisfactory solution.

            David B.
            MWA Public Safety

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2001
              I agree!!! Closure of Ave. 45 is a BAD idea. Bad in case of emergencies,
              bad for traffic congestion and bad for businesses and their patrons close to Ave.45. There's got to be a better solution!

              Patricia Yamaguchi
            • Carol Tilton
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
                I must weigh in on this one. DO NOT CLOSE AVE. 45. It is a main artery and access route, especially for those of us living on that side of the hill. Its closure would most likely change shopping habits and usage of the services on Figueroa, not to mention safety and security issues.
                ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Mendel"Ave 45 closure is potentially a great idea - might solve way more problems than it would create.
              • Judith Dancoff
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
                  People--wake up. The threat of closing Ave. 45 has been rumored as an argument against pushing for below grade...ie, if we make too much trouble, the powers that be could just close Ave. 45, ergo, don't make trouble. Others have suggested it as a plausible solution, though clearly implausible to many.

                  As of now, it's on no one's blueprint, so those who oppose a closure can relax. Let's take this energy, though, and put it to some use...ie, supporting the Mt. Washington Association's push for below grade.
                • Chris Howard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                    --- In nelalist@y..., "Judith Dancoff" <dancova@c...> wrote:
                    > People--wake up. The threat of closing Ave. 45 has been
                    rumored as an argument against pushing for below grade...ie, if
                    we make too much trouble, the powers that be could just close
                    Ave. 45, ergo, don't make trouble. Others have suggested it as a
                    plausible solution, though clearly implausible to many.

                    I don't know of any legislators, lawyers, architects, designers, or
                    engineers working on a below grade solution for Mt Washington
                    homeowners.

                    If the grade crossing protests are upheled, the Blue Line
                    Construction Authority may not want to rebuild the alignment
                    below ground and I don't think the CPUC protests dictate that
                    they should. The Construction Authority will likely work hard to
                    make as few changes to the present design as possible. They
                    have their budget to consider. For the Construction Authority, the
                    option to close Av 45 is attractive because it makes the train safe
                    and it's not an expensive redesign/rebuild.

                    Chris Howard
                  • Judith Dancoff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2001
                      I do want to respond, though, to the fear of an Avenue 45 closure. While
                      it's true that if our PUC protest is upheld a solution may be instituted
                      which we do not want, we need to ask ourselves how likely this is, given our
                      past success with pushing for below grade crossings. I wonder how many in
                      the community know, for example, that the fact that French Ave is below
                      grade is a direct result of the actions of the Mt. Washington Association in
                      the early 1990s. If the community could act together then, why not now? We
                      need to fight for what we want, and not get sidetracked by those who spread
                      rumors and fears.

                      Show up Nov. 5th for the PUC hearings, and in the meantime write letters to
                      the PUC, letting them know that you support a below grade crossing. You can
                      also include in your letter the fact that you would not support a closure of
                      Ave. 45, if this is your opinion.

                      Address your letters to:

                      California Public Utilities Commission
                      505 Van Ness Avenue