38280Slavery By Another Name - Saturday, 7/19, 2-4 p.m.

  • nd_bartels
    Jul 11, 2014

      Please join us at the Edendale Branch Library for a discussion of the film, Slavery by Another Name, on Saturday, July 19, 2-4 p.m.

      Slavery by Another Name deals with the use of prison labor in the South after the civil war in a system of unjust arrest of black men, brutal working conditions, and economic gain for southern states and private entities. The film can be seen online (video.pbs.org/program/slavery-another-name), or you can join us for screenings in our community room next week on Tuesday, 7/15 and Thursday, 7/17 at 6 p.m.

      We are spending several months showing films on the civil rights struggle and hosting conversations that connect the films to contemporary experience. This is our second film. Our discussion of our third film, The Abolitionists, will be Saturday, Sept. 27, 2-4 p.m.

      The discussion on Saturday, July 19 will be led by two guests:

      Joshua Mitchell PhD Student, Dept. of American Studies and Ethnicity, University of Southern California and

      Elizabeth Kronbeck Professor of Ethnic Studies, History and Social Science, Glendale Community College

      Please call (213) 207-3000 for more information.

      The Edendale Branch Library is located at 2011 W. Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, 90026. There is free parking in the parking lot behind the library (enter from Alvarado St.).

      Created Equal: America's Civil Rights Struggle is made possible through a major grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, as part of its Bridging Cultures initiative, in partnership with the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History.