35606Breaking news: Mayor Villaraigosa vs. Social Security

  • Christopher Howard
    Dec 5, 2012

      Below is an email from Angela Garcia Combs, a MoveOn member in Los Angeles who created a petition on SignOn.org, the nonprofit site that allows anyone to start their own online petition. If you have concerns or feedback about this petition, click here.

      Dear Los Angeles MoveOn member,

      Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa just announced that he has joined the steering committee of "Fix The Debt," a group of corporate CEOs who are pushing to balance the budget on the backs of middle and working class Americans during the fiscal showdown in Washington, DC right now.

      As somebody who volunteered and knocked on doors to help elect for Mayor Villaraigosa, I feel disappointed and betrayed. That's why I started a petition urging Mayor Villaraigosa to immediately resign from this organization.

      Click here to urge Mayor Villaraigosa to resign from the board of Fix the Debt.

      Fix The Debt's plan includes major cuts to Social Security and Medicare while cutting taxes for millionaires and billionaires. This approach is not balanced and it is unfair to people like me. Expecting us to give up essential portions of our social safety net to give the wealthiest more tax breaks is wrong.

      Mayor Villaraigosa is the former chair of the Democratic National Convention, and is it inappropriate for him to use his position to help this corporate-backed group gut Social Security and Medicare, which many of us will need someday.

      That's why I created a petition on SignOn.org to Mayor Villaraigosa, which says:

      Fix The Debt's corporate backed approach to gutting our social safety net is dangerous. You should be working towards a balanced approach that will not hurt working and middle class families. Joining the steering committee of Fix The Debt was a mistake. You should immediately resign from the organization and work towards actual solutions that will help all Americans.

      Click here to add your name to this petition, and then pass it along to your friends.

      Thanks!

      –Angela Garcia Combs

      This petition was created on SignOn.org, the progressive, nonprofit petition site. SignOn.org is sponsored by MoveOn Civic Action, which is not responsible for the contents of this or other petitions posted on the site. Angela Garcia Combs didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.

      Want to support our work? MoveOn Civic Action is entirely funded by our 7 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.

      This email was sent by chris howard