New England Gourd Vine Gathering - right around the corner

  • Leah
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2009

      New England Gourd Vine 2009 Gourd Gathering is right around the corner.

       There is still time to register.  Don't miss out on learning these great Gourd Art techniques.

       Saturday August 8, 2009  -  9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

       Class Offerings:     REGISTRATION REQUIRED

       Washi Eggs with instructor Betsey Sloan from SC

      These are great as holiday ornaments.   Learn this traditional art from Japan.  Washi means "traditional Japanese Paper.  It is a strong paper handmade from the bark of the mulberry plant.  It then is silkscreened with many colors.  Unlike paper made in the US , it is very flexible, slightly stretch, and tear resistant.  Washi paper comes in many designs.   Students will make two eggs in this class.   All supplies are included in the class fee.  $40.00

       Coiling Rim with instructor Linda Keech from MA

      Linda will teach you how to coil Siberian Iris leaves (Yes the ones that grows in your yard).  Tria Ink will be used to finish the outside of the gourd.  This technique then can be applied to many materials' giving your gourd art rims endless possibilities.   Students will finish one gourd.    All supplies are included in the class fee.   $40.00

       Woven Gourd Top Bowl with instructor:  Betsey Sloan from SC

      Using round reed, students will weave a modified Japanese rolled border on top of a provided gourd.  Students will have their choice of alcohol inks to dye both the reed and the gourd.  A final finish with a natural pod or two and your bowl will be complete. All Supplies included in the class fee.  $40.00

      Try products before you buy them booth!  Bring gourds or purchase some up at the gathering.

      Plan to bring a lunch and a chair.  (We will have enough for students taking classes, but if you want to sit and chat with others this would be very helpful).

      For More Information or learn how to register for classes please go to:  Go to www.bluewhalearts.com or contact Leah Reed at Leah@..., 603-679-1961

      Please RSVP to leah@... or 603-679-1961 even if you don't plan to take a class.

    • Jaynie Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2009
        Hi Leah,

        To bad there wasn't enough people for your workshop at Fletcher.  I guess I'll meet you at the gathering.  Looking forward to it.  I am planning to go to the beach that thurs. and fri. before the gathering.  I'd like to stay overnight in New Hampshire the night before the gathering.  Do you have any suggestions for inexpensive places close to your place?  I'm going to search online, but it would help to get any heads up.

        Jaynie

[...]

        For More Information or learn how to register for classes please go to:  Go to www.bluewhalearts. com or contact Leah Reed at Leah@bluewhalearts. com, 603-679-1961

        Please RSVP to leah@bluewhalearts. com or 603-679-1961 even if you don't plan to take a class.

      • Leah Reed
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2009

          Hi  Jaynie,

          I was disappointed about Fletcher, but fully understand that it is an expense and with today’s economy.  How close to the beach do you want to be?    I am only about ½ from the beach.  I can tell you not to stay at the Epping Motel.     Exeter NH is in the middle between the beach and Epping.     Looking forward to meeting you.          Leah

          Leah Reed

          Blue Whale ARts, LLC

          http://www.bluewhalearts.com/

          603-679-1961

          Epping, NH

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2009
            Hi Leah,

            Actually, I'd rather be closer to the gathering so, I can just arrive in the morning.  I was planning to stay near the beach on thurs. night, go to the beach on friday, then come to gathering Sat.  I am trying to work the two trips together.

            In terms of Fletcher, I totally understand.  It was actually the case for me also.  I was disappointed, but relieved in terms of finances, because I hadn't even finished paying for the class, never mind supplies.   These classes are more up my alley, financially right now.

            I didn't realize that you were that close to the beach.  I have to look at the map.

            Anyway, places close to your place?  They are probably less expensive than near the beach.