New group member

  • jmbsunshine20
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hello and Happy New year all,

      I'm pleased to find a group of gourders in Western MA. I don't know
      many gourd crafters/artist in the area. I was fortunate to meet Liz
      at a Craft show in Dec. in Ashfield, who gave me info about this
      group. (Thanks, Liz)

      I've been gourd crafting for about six years, I've previously crafted
      baskets. I have incorporated my gourd craft into my work where I have
      taught others gourd crafting. I pretty much am self taught and do
      not know of many gourd crafters who teach in the area.

      I am also an avid gardener, who also grows gourds. I craft
      percussion instruments with gourds, as well as bowls, vessels,
      ornaments & mini shekere necklaces. I have been learning pyrography
      and am interested in resources around this as well.

      I am looking forward to hearing about others who teach gourd crafting
      and networking, as well as learning about any upcoming events in the
      surrounding areas, i.e., festivals, shows, gatherings, networking,
      workshops, etc. relating to gourd art. Most of all the gourd
      festivals that I know about all are out west.

      I would be happy to hear from any of you who can share info. I look
      forward to conversing with other gourd artists/crafters.

      Best,
      Jaynie
    • Lucille
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
        Welcome to our very quiet group. This group's Mom Leah lives in NH and has
        classes a few times a year which you will find announced here on this group.
        Last fall we had a class/demo at someone's home in Ma. That was fun to
        see all the different techniques. Be sure to check the photos in the photo
        section.

        Lucille
        http://www.pbase.com:80/luegg
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/30802801@N00/sets/
        http://lujs.tripod.com/EggLessons-INDEX.HTML
        > I'm pleased to find a group of gourders in Western MA. I don't know
        > many gourd crafters/artist in the area. I was fortunate to meet Liz
        > at a Craft show in Dec. in Ashfield, who gave me info about this
        > group. (Thanks, Liz)
        >
        > I've been gourd crafting for about six years, I've previously crafted
        > baskets. I have incorporated my gourd craft into my work where I have
        > taught others gourd crafting. I pretty much am self taught and do
        > not know of many gourd crafters who teach in the area.
        >
        > I am also an avid gardener, who also grows gourds. I craft
        > percussion instruments with gourds, as well as bowls, vessels,
        > ornaments & mini shekere necklaces. I have been learning pyrography
        > and am interested in resources around this as well.
        >
        > I am looking forward to hearing about others who teach gourd crafting
        > and networking, as well as learning about any upcoming events in the
        > surrounding areas, i.e., festivals, shows, gatherings, networking,
        > workshops, etc. relating to gourd art. Most of all the gourd
        > festivals that I know about all are out west.
        >
        > I would be happy to hear from any of you who can share info. I look
        > forward to conversing with other gourd artists/crafters.
        >
        > Best,
        > Jaynie

      • Leah Reed - Blue Whale Arts, LLC
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009

          HI Jaynie,

          I live in Epping, NH,  I teach, and sell gourding supplies.      The closet gourd show to us  is in PA In June.   I have scheduled a gourd gathering for  August 8th, here in Epping, NH.  I have my 2009 schedule up which has links, to the FL show, PA, Show and OH show.     I am also looking for some teachers for the gathering.     Here is the link for the information -  http://www.bluewhalearts.com/Classes-Shows.html.

          Happy Gourding

          Leah

          Leah Reed

          Blue Whale ARts, LLC

          www.bluewhalearts.com

          603-679-1961

          Epping, NH

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2009

              Hi Morningstar,

              PA is working on their classes now.  Once they are published I will let folks know.   The classes that I currently have scheduled are posted on my website.  If you go under classes and shows, the menu will drop and you can pick the one you are interested in.     Also, there is a weeklong Gourd class I will be teaching in VT at the Fletcher Farm School.   I don’t know how they do their pricing.  I will pass along once I receive the information from them.

              Leah

              Leah Reed

              Blue Whale ARts, LLC

              www.bluewhalearts.com

              603-679-1961

              Epping, NH

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2009
                  Hi Leah,

                  Yes, I'm the woman who came to your workshop in December from MA.
                  Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet. Liz told me about you, which is
                  how I found out. Hopefully, we'll meet in the near future.
                  Are the classes on your site held at your house? (the one's that are
                  not held at other places)
                  Also, How long has the gathering been happening and does it attract
                  alot of people?

                  Jaynie

                  --- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah Reed - Blue Whale Arts,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2009

                    Hi Jaynie,

                    I thought it was you, but not sure.    Did you receive my e-mail regarding class?      The classes that are held in Epping are at my house.  The others are held else were – on the calendar it says.   At this point I am scheduled to teach in FL, ME, VT.   I have submitted classes for PA and will submit to teach in OH.       The gathering is actually in its fourth year.   But 3rd year of me organizing.   We get about 20 – 30 people.   The demos were great in 2008.   Looking to bring in some classes for 2009.   To see the work and speak with other gourders  is GREAT!  The work that folks do incredible.       I put a slide show of the pictures from 2008 on my website.  It is on the 2009 gathering page under classes and show.    Leah

                    Leah Reed

                    Blue Whale ARts, LLC

                    www.bluewhalearts.com

                    603-679-1961

                    Epping, NH

                    LLC" <Duckcross@...> wrote:

                    > HI Jaynie,
                    >

                    > I live in Epping, NH, I teach, and sell gourding supplies.
                    The closet
                    > gourd show to us is in PA In June. I have scheduled a gourd
                    gathering for
                    > August 8th, here in Epping, NH. I have my 2009 schedule up which
                    has links,
                    > to the FL show, PA, Show and OH show. I am also looking for some
                    > teachers for the gathering. Here is the link for the
                    information -
                    > <http://www.bluewhalearts.com/Classes-Shows.html>
                    > http://www.bluewhalearts.com/Classes-Shows.html.
                    >

                    > Happy Gourding
                    >

                    > Leah
                    >

                    > Leah Reed
                    >
                    > Blue Whale ARts, LLC
                    >
                    > www.bluewhalearts.com
                    >
                    > 603-679-1961
                    >
                    > Epping, NH

                  • Jeanne Kent

                      LLC" <Duckcross@.. .> wrote:

                      > HI Jaynie,
                      >

                      > I live in Epping, NH, I teach, and sell gourding supplies.
                      The closet
                      > gourd show to us is in PA In June. I have scheduled a gourd
                      gathering for
                      > August 8th, here in Epping, NH. I have my 2009 schedule up which
                      has links,
                      > to the FL show, PA, Show and OH show. I am also looking for some
                      > teachers for the gathering. Here is the link for the
                      information -
                      > <http://www.bluewhal earts.com/ Classes-Shows. html>
                      > http://www.bluewhal earts.com/ Classes-Shows. html.
                      >

                      > Happy Gourding
                      >

                      > Leah
                      >

                      > Leah Reed
                      >
                      > Blue Whale ARts, LLC
                      >
                      > www.bluewhalearts. com
                      >
                      > 603-679-1961
                      >
                      > Epping, NH

                    • Jaynie Barnes
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2009
                        Hi Leah,

                        I did recieve your email, thanks.  I didn't finishing answering all my mail yet this week.
                        I'll have to check out the slides on your site..  I did see the photos posted on the Community space.  There's some nice work there as well.  I'm always amazed at what people create with gourds.  It's good to know there will be another gathering closer..  I'm definiteley interested in attending.  I'll be in touch regarding that.

                        Thanks,