Pyrography Class

  • Leah
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
      Hi Everyone,

      I am just getting feet back on the ground from vacation. I had gone to
      the FL Gourd show. It was great and had the oppunityt to meet and
      speak with David and Rona from Turtle Feathers. Last year they had
      offered to do a class for us in pyrography with not much response from
      folks.

      They will be coming to MASS again this June and would be willing to do
      a class for us. I would be willing to host and organize the class in
      Epping NH if there is enough interest. I am anticipating it would be
      a full day clss. If there is enough interest I can begin working on
      details and cost etc. Class size would be 8 - 10 people. Please let
      me know of your interest. ASAP. If you know of anyone who does
      gourd work who is not part of the this group and would be interested
      please pass the information along. Thanks Leah (Epping)
    • Eleanor
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
        Hi Leah
        I would be very interested in taking a class in pyrography. I am a
        beginner, just did a chickadee. Would I qualify for this class?
        Eleanor

        -- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah" <duckcros@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I am just getting feet back on the ground from vacation. I had
        gone to
        > the FL Gourd show. It was great and had the oppunityt to meet and
        > speak with David and Rona from Turtle Feathers. Last year they
        had
        > offered to do a class for us in pyrography with not much response
        from
        > folks.
        >
        > They will be coming to MASS again this June and would be willing to
        do
        > a class for us. I would be willing to host and organize the class
        in
        > Epping NH if there is enough interest. I am anticipating it would
        be
        > a full day clss. If there is enough interest I can begin working
        on
        > details and cost etc. Class size would be 8 - 10 people. Please
        let
        > me know of your interest. ASAP. If you know of anyone who does
        > gourd work who is not part of the this group and would be
        interested
        > please pass the information along. Thanks Leah (Epping)

      • Leah Reed
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007

          Hi Eleanor,

          Of Course!!!!  Rona, did say it would be better to have a burner that has the adjustable temp -  She had I believe 3 that could be used during the class if someone did not have one.   I will add your name to the list.

          Come on everyone,  we need 8 - 10 folks.   Leah (Epping NH)

          Leah Reed
          Epping, NH
          603-679-1961

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
            Thats great. I have a burnmaster eagle dual and 3 pens. If you know
            what pens we need I will get them.
            Thanks
            Eleanor

            --- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Eleanor" <sebjor@...> wrote:

            > Hi Leah
            > I would be very interested in taking a class in pyrography. I am a
            > beginner, just did a chickadee. Would I qualify for this class?
            > Eleanor
            >

            > -- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah" <duckcros@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Everyone,
            > >
            > > I am just getting feet back on the ground from vacation. I had
            > gone to
            > > the FL Gourd show. It was great and had the oppunityt to meet
            and
            > > speak with David and Rona from Turtle Feathers. Last year they
            > had
            > > offered to do a class for us in pyrography with not much response
            > from
            > > folks.
            > >
            > > They will be coming to MASS again this June and would be willing
            > do
            > > a class for us. I would be willing to host and organize the
            class
            > in
            > > Epping NH if there is enough interest. I am anticipating it
            would
            > be
            > > a full day clss. If there is enough interest I can begin working
            > on
            > > details and cost etc. Class size would be 8 - 10 people.
            Please
            > let
            > > me know of your interest. ASAP. If you know of anyone who
            does
            > > gourd work who is not part of the this group and would be
            > interested
            > > please pass the information along. Thanks Leah (Epping)

          • d_l_boyle
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
              --- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah" <duckcros@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I am just getting feet back on the ground from vacation. I had
              gone to
              > the FL Gourd show. It was great and had the oppunityt to meet and
              > speak with David and Rona from Turtle Feathers. Last year they
              had
              > offered to do a class for us in pyrography with not much response
              from
              > folks.
              >
              > They will be coming to MASS again this June and would be willing to
              do
              > a class for us. I would be willing to host and organize the class
              in
              > Epping NH if there is enough interest. I am anticipating it would
              be
              > a full day clss. If there is enough interest I can begin working
              on
              > details and cost etc. Class size would be 8 - 10 people. Please
              let
              > me know of your interest. ASAP. If you know of anyone who does
              > gourd work who is not part of the this group and would be
              interested
              > please pass the information along. Thanks Leah (Epping)

              Leah
              I would be interested, always depending on when, summer is busy for
              me with shows and shops. I have been trying to get to the Florida
              show, but never seem to be there at the right time. Was it worth the
              trip?
              Diana Boyle
              Brookline.

            • Marty Schofield
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
                I might be interested too but depends on when. I've got little kids
                and my husband works nights. I'm NOT experienced and don't have
                equipment. Epping is certainly doable and I'd love to put a face
                with all of you!

                Marty
              • Karen Forget
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Hi,
                  My Name is Karen, I'd like to join the class. What equipment should we
                  bring with us?

                  Intro*Terms
                • rottirescuer81704
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
                    Hi .. I'd be very interseted. I've done alot of burning on wood but
                    never on any gourds. If they are taking newbys I'd love to go, just
                    would need to know the equipment I'd need to bring with me.
                    Thanks
                    Lori--- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah" <duckcros@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > I am just getting feet back on the ground from vacation. I had
                    gone to
                    > the FL Gourd show. It was great and had the oppunityt to meet and
                    > speak with David and Rona from Turtle Feathers. Last year they
                    had
                    > offered to do a class for us in pyrography with not much response
                    from
                    > folks.
                    >
                    > They will be coming to MASS again this June and would be willing to
                    do
                    > a class for us. I would be willing to host and organize the class
                    in
                    > Epping NH if there is enough interest. I am anticipating it would
                    be
                    > a full day clss. If there is enough interest I can begin working
                    on
                    > details and cost etc. Class size would be 8 - 10 people. Please
                    let
                    > me know of your interest. ASAP. If you know of anyone who does
                    > gourd work who is not part of the this group and would be
                    interested
                    > please pass the information along. Thanks Leah (Epping)

                  • Eleanor Martell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Hi Marty
                      If you can maybe we could carpool.
                      Eleanor

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 12, 2007
                        That would be good.  I've also got those books.  I'm digging them out right now.  I'm working at H&R Block doing taxes and haven't had a minute to myself but am off a couple days this week as I had a scar worked on this morning in Portsmouth.   Didn't know how setting was going to be.  I hope the date is good.  It would be fun to get away and do something like this.

                        Marty

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 18, 2007
                          Greetings All - -

                          Also just returned (yesterday) from vacationing in Florida - - but
                          timing wasn't right for the Florida Gourd Show. Good to hear from
                          Leah that it was great!

                          And. . ..Leah, glad to hear you had the opportunity to meet/speak with
                          David & Rona/Turtle Feathers. I really enjoyed meeting them in
                          Cherokee last summer and tried to set something up, but as you
                          remember and wrote - - not much interest at that time.

                          Depending on the date - - I am interested in a pyrography workshop:
                          basics plus intermediate/advanced techniques. (FYI - I took a
                          workshop in "inlay" with Rona in Cherokee.) I've done some
                          woodburning on gourds (trial and error) with tools purchased from
                          Turtle Feathers. I really enjoy using these tools, but want to learn
                          more about shading and fully utilizing the tools I have.

                          Back to the date: Just looked at June. The Pennsylvania Gourd Show
                          is June 15th and 16th. I attended two years ago when it was one day.
                          Definitely a good show if anyone is able to go (I haven't decided
                          yet.). Last year I saw they had a few workshops that had been offered
                          in Cherokee. Turtle Feathers was set up at this show two years ago.

                          At this point the weekends of June 2/3 and June 9/10 would work for
                          me, assuming David & Rona will be in Pennsylvania on June 15/16.

                          Definitely willing to travel to New Hampshire. Looking forward to
                          learning more details . .and THANK-YOU LEAH for taking the lead in
                          making the arrangements.

                          Best wishes. . .
                          Linda

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 19, 2007
                            Hi Linda,

                            Sorry you missed the FL show.   I am hoping to attend the PA gourd show this year.  I know Dave and Rona will be attending.  I am waiting to hear back from them.  When we spoke I am anticipating it would be the weekend after PA.  They mentioned they would be coming to MASS right after the PA show.   But, don't hold me to any dates.   I am anticipating it will be in June     I will keep the group posted.

                            Leah (Epping,NH)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 3 3:58 PM
                              Hi Everyone,

                              I have a few people signed up for the Pyrography Class signed up. I
                              will be posting this out to the Larger Gourdpatch and putting it in
                              my local papers to try and fill the class up. I will start posting
                              the classes in other venues next week. At this point I have enough
                              folks that the class will run, But would like to fill all of the
                              spots since Rona and Dave will be coming from NC for us and would
                              like to make it worth their time. So, if you are thinking about
                              signing up, do so ASAP. All of the information is below. Thanks
                              Leah and have a Happy Spring. Leah (Epping, NH)

                              Pyrography Class 2007

                              Instructor: Ronna Wuttke – Turtle Feathers
                              When: Saturday June 23, 2007
                              Time: 10:00 – 4:00
                              Where: Epping, NH
                              Cost: $45.00 ($40.00 for the instructor, $5.00 for refreshments for
                              the day.) Lunch options, all pitch in and order from pizza place,
                              potluck all bring a dish or brown bag lunch –let me know your
                              preference at registration
                              Limited Space

                              Materials that will be supplied by the instructor: Gourd, transfer
                              paper and design

                              Required material and tools: Wood burner* (bring all of your tips),
                              red pen and scotch tape.
                              * Best if the burner has adjustable heat. Ronna has 4 units
                              available for anyone who may need to use one for the day. Please
                              let me know when you register, if you need to borrow a unit. They
                              will be available First come, First Pay basis.

                              Contact Leah Reed – Blue Whale Arts with any questions or to reserve
                              a spot by calling
                              603-679-1961 or e-mail leah@...

                              Name: _____________________________________________________
                              Phone: _____________________________________________________
                              E-Mail _____________________________________________________
                              Preferred Lunch options: ____Order Pizza ____Pot Luck ___Brownbag

                              Please Make Checks Payable and mail to: Blue Whale Arts, 56 Jenness
                              Road,
                              Epping, NH 03042

                              BONUS
                              Turtle Feathers will have all of their products available to
                              purchase.

                              Pyrography not your cup of tea, you are invited to stop by and pick
                              up some of your gourding tools and supplies. (Just let Leah know you
                              may be stopping by)

                              Just think no sales tax or shipping charge

                              Take a look at their web site - www.turtlefeathers.com. - (They
                              will be coming from the PA show. I would suggest if there is
                              something specific you are planning on picking up pre-order/pay so
                              you are sure it is available for you to pick up.)
                            • Pennypitts@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 16 4:35 PM
                                Well, lest we get too cocky about the success of our work:  I showed grandson Max, age 6, my "river gourd" that was the result of Sat's workshop with Bonnie Gibson.  His enthusiasm reflected my own sense of accomplishment with it, but just as my smugness thermometer was climbing, he reflected, "But Grandma, I think it would look even better if you took a permanent marker and made a smiley face on it!"  Ahh, art.

                                But, weren't we all just so delighted with the class, with Bonnie, with the results of intense crafting for two days - not to mention the colleagueship with everyone.  What a great joy.  Once again I am reminded of how much one learns and grows through hands on workshops with great instructors.  I sure wish I could join the one in June that Leah is organizing (wood burning)  and I certainly encourage everyone to join in if possible:  say, you might want to try a wood burned smiley face......