Hello Fellow Gourders

  • Leah
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      The group has been very quite, so I am figuring that everyone is in
      their workshops now and getting ready for the holidays. The summer
      was very busy. How did everyone do with their crops? How are fairs
      going? What type of items do you see selling best? What new
      projects are you working on?

      I did not have the oppotunity to do much art work over the summer, I
      was working on the gourds and recovering from a chronic condition in
      which it took the doctors two years to diagnosis. I am on the mend
      with PT two times a week and started 5 major projects for
      competitions. I am planning to attend the FL gourd show in Feb. and
      OH in Sept this year. My gourd crop did very well. I am in the mist
      of updating my website. I decided to become a dealer of a great tool
      for anyone with neck shoulder and arm injuries to help with sanding
      the inside of the gourd. I have used it and it is amazing. I could
      not believe I was able to sand the inside to feel like a babies
      bottoms. I will also be carrying a selection of many different bead
      animals for inlay. Unfortunatly, my illness through me off track and
      of course I need to spend time with the new grandbabies that were
      born in August. I did a couple of shows one in October and one in
      December. I did great in October and December was a flop. Well
      enough about what has been going on with me, What about you. I
      whish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Gourdouse Holiday. Leah Reed,
      Epping, NH
    • starfish_lea
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2006
        Hi Leah:

        Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well! Hope things are
        looking up. I've been working busily all summer, both on gourds and my paintings. I did two
        shows, one in July and one in December. My December one was a flop too, with the majority
        of people wanting to spend $5 to $15 dollars, but no more. And I got more than my share of
        "is that a decal or decoupage?" questions. I've decided to print out some papers to put on my
        table that explain the processes I go through, which should weed out some of the questions.
        Sigh. The show I did in July went very well, and usually has been a good one for me for
        several years. This summer I've started making woodburned and glazed egg gourd
        ornaments, which have made a good debut with my collectors. As to what's been selling
        well, I'd have to say that this year it's been anything with a southwestern theme, especially
        petroglyphs. What's been a good seller for you?
        I have to check out your website again to find out about this new tool! I have arthritis in my
        hands and I'm always on the lookout for a good, pain-free sanding tool...is it the
        GourdMaster Easy Cleaning Ball? Because I just bought one but I haven't used it yet!
        Also, any plans on the group getting together this winter? I couldn't go last time, and I'm
        sure up for it this time...

        _Lori Ashley (Shirley, MA)
      • Leah Reed
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2006
          Hi,

          I found the same for my December fair.  I also began taking credit cards, the fair in October more than 1/2 my sales was on credit card - December not one.

          I have been making some necklaces with a wax resit and some of the pins I make with gourd shards.  I am hoping to have the new website up after x-mas.   It is not the Genie, in which I have and good for when you first open the gourd but I found it to hard for a fine finish.   I could not sand the inside to a finish I was pleased with because of the motion of sanding and it was murder on my arm/shoulder/neck,  I saw this tool and immediately purchased it one once they became available and it has been great.   This sander works great for a soft smooth finish inside.  Especially those real thick gourds from CA.  It is more expensive than the genie,  however, I have been using it on many aspects other than the inside of the gourd.

          It is a Guinevere miniature sanding system (I attached a Picture)- is a miniature sanding system that actually conforms to the shape you are sanding. Guinevere uses four sanding grits, coarse to extra fine, mounted on inflatable rubber sanders that are fitted to a flexible shaft- All powered by a quiet 1/2 hp (300watt) motor. This system of inflatable sanders adapts to the shape of your work, from concave to convex, angled or flat. ;The long life sanding cloth sleeves allow you to quickly change between different combinations of sanders and grits. ;Specifications:;Sanding Motor - 1/2 hp, 300 watt, 3,600 RPM, 6" 150mm) high 12" (300mm) long, 10 lbs (4.5 kgs). ;Flexible Shaft - 10,000 RPM max, 4'3" long, drive shaft 7/32" (6mm), key chuck 1/16" - 3/8" (1.5 - 10mm)

          Guinevere 11340 Total Sanding System includes Sanding Motor, Flexible Shaft, Hand Pump, Inflatable Round Sander with 4 Assorted Sleeves, Inflatable Drum Sander with 4 assorted sleeves, cleaning stick and key chuck.

          I also, could not make it last year and would love to get together.     Leah (Epping, NH)

          Leah Reed
          Epping, NH
          603-679-1961

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2006
            Hi Leah:

            Thanks for the info on the sanding tools. I looked up the Guinevere sander, and will
            definitely put that one on my Christmas list for next year!!
            I haven't gone the credit card route yet, because so far I only do 2 shows a year. Next year
            will probably go up to 3. I do get a lot of people asking if I take credit cards...

            Lori Ashley (Shirley, MA)
          • Leah Reed
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2006
              Hi Shirly,

              I use ProPay, from one of the other groups I belong to.  I liked them because you only have to pay a yearly fee, no monthly stuff which can be very expensive.   How did you do at your shows?    Leah (Epping, NH)

              Leah Reed
              Epping, NH
              603-679-1961

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2006
                -Hello everyone, I am new to this group and also gourding. I have
                been doing craft fairs for a long time now with my decorative
                painting and sewing. After the last fair I decided it was time for
                something new. I have been buying gourds through ebay but had not
                done anything with them. So I am trying my hand with them. So far it
                has been alot of fun. I just finished up 12 egg gourds with polymer
                caly nativity in them. I made doors and used wire for hinges. Ill
                post some pictures when I figure how to do it.
                I have all kinds of gourds and will be cutting them sooner or later.
                If anyone would like some seeds Ill be glad to share them. I dont
                know how old they are but if you think they are still good let me
                know.
                Eleanor

                -- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "Leah" <duckcros@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > The group has been very quite, so I am figuring that everyone is
                in
                > their workshops now and getting ready for the holidays. The
                summer
                > was very busy. How did everyone do with their crops? How are
                fairs
                > going? What type of items do you see selling best? What new
                > projects are you working on?
                >
                > I did not have the oppotunity to do much art work over the summer,
                > was working on the gourds and recovering from a chronic condition
                in
                > which it took the doctors two years to diagnosis. I am on the
                mend
                > with PT two times a week and started 5 major projects for
                > competitions. I am planning to attend the FL gourd show in Feb.
                and
                > OH in Sept this year. My gourd crop did very well. I am in the
                mist
                > of updating my website. I decided to become a dealer of a great
                tool
                > for anyone with neck shoulder and arm injuries to help with
                sanding
                > the inside of the gourd. I have used it and it is amazing. I
                could
                > not believe I was able to sand the inside to feel like a babies
                > bottoms. I will also be carrying a selection of many different
                bead
                > animals for inlay. Unfortunatly, my illness through me off track
                and
                > of course I need to spend time with the new grandbabies that were
                > born in August. I did a couple of shows one in October and one
                in
                > December. I did great in October and December was a flop. Well
                > enough about what has been going on with me, What about you. I
                > whish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Gourdouse Holiday. Leah
                Reed,
                > Epping, NH

              • STELLA dillon
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2006
                  Hi Eleanor:

                  Welcome.  This year I have trying to keep my gourds "alive" with not much success. I plant gourds in my small backyard, but the bugs...I assume they were squash beatles ate most of my gourds, and then the ones I was able to save have slowly been rotting away in my garage.  I don't know where you live, but if you have space in your yard you should try growing them.  After listening to me, you probably won't.  Some gals have great luck growing them.  You should join the American Gourd Society. Lots of info, and places where you can purchase gourds.  A magazine comes out 4 times a year for $15.

                  American Gourd Society, Inc.  P.O. Box 2186  Kokomo, In 46904-2186

                  Your name, address, tel#, e-mail  and check for $15.   Dues are due in Jan.  Well worth it.

                  Your eggs sound delightful and we would love to see them.

                  Stella Dillon/Madison, CT

                • Eleanor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2006
                    Hi Leah
                    Thanks for the info on the American Gourd Society. I will join. I
                    have tried growing a few years ago and produced one big bushel
                    gourd. I have gone back and read all the posts. Am I understanding
                    correctly that if I plant more than one kind of gourd, I would get
                    something strange from the other gourds. And if this is the case,
                    then you could not trust the seeds for the next year.
                    Eleanor, York Maine

                    --- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, STELLA dillon

                  • Pennypitts@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 19, 2006
                      Hi everyone - its been nice to see the hello's and thoughts/ideas circulating.  Penny Pitts (Amherst MA) here.  Since last Feb. when some of us gathered at my house for a gourd get together my life has taken quite the emotional swing which has thrown me off my work, etc., but now I'm ready to move on and still hoping to get to some gourd festivals this coming year.  I'll be moving to my daughter's in Wash. DC within a few weeks and am trying to clear out files, etc.

                       What I need is someone to "carry the flame", which is my notebook of New England gourd contacts that I accumulated last year in prep for the Feb. get together.    Notes in it indicate who has responded to our networking and really, its to have on hand, should someone decide to organize another  New England gourd gathering and wants "the list" of people I identified last year.  Most people on the list can be reached by email, but a few need to be sent a post card or note.    Because I won't have a studio in DC I won't be doing crafting for awhile (I'm planning to do some knitting of hats -don't ask me why - perhaps because my stash of great yarns is wa-a-a-a-y up there!)  I'll keep my website (www.contemporarygourd.com) and my email address (pennypitts@...) and I truly hope to see you "some day" in the world of gourd enthusiasts.

                      Recently I've met two delightful gourd crafters that don't live far from me.  Both live part of their lives in Fla, but they are definitely delighted to find a network in New England.  Gail Judd lives in Chesterfield MA (phone 413-296-4580; no internet at this time)  and is a water color artist, gourd artist and general artist all around.  Her work is just lovely (we had a one on one show and tell session and so enjoyed eachother and one another's work).  The other day she brought Shirley Rierce (301 Main Rd., Westhampton MA 01027; 413-527-0508)by to see my work.  Shirley lives in Westhampton and does great work, her specialty being "tene....." (ok, I can't remember the word: the "dream catcher" kind of work where you set up a grid and weave a design into it).  She has the "perfect husband", a former wood worker who enjoys cleaning and cutting her gourds!  Then she goes to work.  Shirley and Gail both do some wintering near Palm Bay Fla, timing there months there to the FLA gourd festival!  Lucky them.

                      Well, I just want to thank you all for the great pleasure its been to "be in touch" over something we all so love.  My best to you all!    Penny Pitts

[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to: