hows the growing

  • woodsmith79
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2006
      Hello every one I know it has been hard on plants in Maine and New
      Hampshire due to all the rain. I am just wondering how every ones
      plants are doing?
      I lost most all my plants to rot my garden got a little flooded I got
      2 plants left out of 12 and they are small and just started to get
      some small vines and flowers, The only thing doing good in my garden
      are my pumpkins the only reason for that is I got about 5 seeds that
      got mixed in my compost and so it is just feeding them like crazy I
      got some bigger than soft balls other than the the weeds and grass
      dose well.
      well hope all your gardens are doing better than mine
      Daniel in Maine
    • STELLA dillon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2006
        Hi Daniel...My plants look rather good, but any gourd that has started, shrivels up and goes soft.  My plot too was very wet, but I built these giant "ant hills"  that has helped. I've been trying to wood chip around the hills so the weeds don't grow.  The bugs are horrid this year.  The leaves look like lace.  I go out and pick the bugs every day.  Now for the past few days, the temperatures have hit 90 plus so that isn't going to help.

        You know how everyone has so much zucchini.....My first plants are loaded with flowers, but no zucchini. Much later I planted zucchini in my gourd garden where one of my gourds died and that is producing already.  I planted more zucchini just the other day and with this heat they have germinated.

        Back to gourds,  I have a feeling my crop is going to be next to nothing.  Luckly I had a stash from last year that I am cleaning now.  Sorry to hear you lost most of yours.

        Stella/Connecticut

        woodsmith79 <woodsmith79@...> wrote:
        Hello every one I know it has been hard on plants in Maine and New
        Hampshire due to all the rain. I am just wondering how every ones
        plants are doing?
        I lost most all my plants to rot my garden got a little flooded I got
        2 plants left out of 12 and they are small and just started to get
        some small vines and flowers, The only thing doing good in my garden
        are my pumpkins the only reason for that is I got about 5 seeds that
        got mixed in my compost and so it is just feeding them like crazy I
        got some bigger than soft balls other than the the weeds and grass
        dose well.
        well hope all your gardens are doing better than mine
        Daniel in Maine

      • Leah Reed
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2006
           Hellow Daniel,

          I am sorry that you lost most of your plants.

          I have to say that I am having my best year since I have been really focusing on planting gourds.  I moved them to a new location in yard and they are on a slight hill and all the water ran off.   I have some gourds that are bigger than cantalop.   I can't believe how well they are doing.    I have been taking pictures at the end of every month.  This is the first year I have had gourds at all before August.  Of course I hold my breath everytime they say possible hail.  I live only ten minutes from Exter NH.  This is the area that was just pumulled with hail leaving many cars and other things with thousands of dollars with damage.    My veggies are doing well but I plant them in 55 gallon barrels and the heavy rain really does not bother them it just drains through.

          I had just the opposite problem my pumkins were not so lucky, they did not have the same advantage as the gourds and they are just starting out with flowers not fruit yet.

          Better Run,

          Leah

          woodsmith79 <woodsmith79@...> wrote:
          Hello every one I know it has been hard on plants in Maine and New
          Hampshire due to all the rain. I am just wondering how every ones
          plants are doing?
          I lost most all my plants to rot my garden got a little flooded I got
          2 plants left out of 12 and they are small and just started to get
          some small vines and flowers, The only thing doing good in my garden
          are my pumpkins the only reason for that is I got about 5 seeds that
          got mixed in my compost and so it is just feeding them like crazy I
          got some bigger than soft balls other than the the weeds and grass
          dose well.
          well hope all your gardens are doing better than mine
          Daniel in Maine

          Leah Reed
          Epping, NH
          603-679-1961

        • Leah Reed
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2006
            Hi Stella,

            I found the bugs to be horrid this year.   I used my cut grass this year to keep weeds back and what a difference.  I used shredded newspaper on two rows and cut grass on the rest and the two with papers are a 1/4 of the size of the others.   I don't like to use many chemicals - but as I tell my family "Don't mess with the gourds"  so I use liquid seven.   I had cumber bugs for the first time ever in my gardens.   I needed the big guns.

            Leah -  Epping NH

            STELLA dillon <stella_d_dillon@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Diana Boyle
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2006
              Good morning
               Sounds like some of you are having a dismal time growing gourds. I started mine early, planted late and mulched with straw. While I don't have gourds yet my plants are healthy and growing. Also because we live on a sand spit, I water nearly every day. I started some spinner gourds last week and already have secondary growth, so while this heat is miserable for us, they seem to be thriving. It will be interesting to see what I get!! Leah do you pinch your main horizontal vine back, or do you just leave it?
              Diana
              Brookline, NH