hi

  • woodsmith79
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
      I joined the group a couple weeks a go and have not seen any posts so
      I will ask this,

      What kind of gourds dose every one grow and how do you start your
      seeds?
      From
      Daniel
    • d_l_boyle
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In negourdvine@yahoogroups.com, "woodsmith79" <woodsmith79@...>
        wrote:

        Daniel
        We seem to use this resource in spurts, usually when we aren't busy
        getting ready for shows. I personally try to grow what ever I think I
        might need for the following year. I also have a farmer who grows
        bigger gourds for me, so I tend to try the smaller ones, pears etc. I
        am having trouble finding specific gourds for a gallery commission, so
        am buying them on line. Welcome to our group, what type of art do you
        use gourds for?
        Diana Boyle
        Brookline
      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
          well as of right now I am new to this so I am trying to get all the info I can on getting a good crop I planted 5 plants last year and only got 3 gourds so I did not do so well.  I am a full time stay at home dad so crafting is some thing to keep me sane, I do not know really about using sprouts or even when to start things I planted my seeds this year strait in the ground when I did the rest of my garden so any info on that front will help I am in Central Maine and never got to really get my garden in till last week or so do to the rain . I mostly do scroll sawing and other wood working so I am gona try to do that along with carving and using a wood-burning tool, I hope to get my wife to help with the painting I can only do base  coats I let her do the detail work when it comes to painting.

        • Pennypitts@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
            Welcome, Daniel - you know that asking about growing gourds is going to get a rise out of our sleeping gourd group!!

            I'm not good at growing gourds as I've only gotten a really great crop once out of the past 5 years.  But i try anyway as I get a kick out of gourds in all stages.  This year I was sure I'd get a good start:  I soaked my seeds over night before planting and I planted them in peat pellets figuring I could transplant them into bigger peat pots later (I was without the right supplies and had to get them started).  I still think that was a good idea and the pellets don't explain why so many didn't germinate!!!!!! (Yes, I had them in an insulated box under a 40 watt bulb covering by a foil "roof" (ie. the temperature in the box for germinating was at about 80 degrees - that ought to be gourd germinating heaven.......)  Oh well, time to get them into the ground so that's on for next week (the few I got).

            I prefer to grow "apple", "speckled swan" and "wartie" as in the past those three varieties seem to have grown best for me.    I saw one packet of "apple" saying the number of days to maturity was like "95", which is far less than the usual indicator of "110 - 120" that I usually see on gourd packets.  So maybe, in fact, apples don't need as long a growing season as others.  Ahhh, the mysteries of growing gourds in New England!

            Best to you and glad you're on the chat line -  Penny Pitts, Amherst MA
          • Pennypitts@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
              Daniel, just read your longer mail about growing in mid - Maine and will add a couple more comments about growing gourds:  Your seeds are in the ground, which is fine, but realize that members of the cucumit family (gourds, melons, squash and cukes...) don't germinate until the soil warms up a bit.  We've had a couple of July like days down here and if I'd gotten seeds into the ground they just might have gotten started because of the warmth, but usually   we don't direct seed squash, etc. until week 2 or even 3 of June.    My point is that if your seeds don't germinate it might be because the soil wasn't warm enough soon enough.  Generally the biggest problem growing gourds anywhere north of the Carolinas is that our summers aren't quite long enough for legenaria (hard shelled gourds) to reach maturity - and if they don't, the "hard" shell never forms (and they collapse and rot like a pumpkin).  Legenaria usually needs about 120 days (whereas winter squash, first cousin to legenaria) only needs 90 - 95 days).    But there are lots of micro-climate situations in New England and some folks just grow gourds beautifully (though usually not the really big bushels with thick shells, etc.).  Good luck to you!  Penny Pits Amherst MA
            • STELLA dillon
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
                Daniel:

                I don't know where you live, but I started mine indoors about a month ago.  They didn't germinate very well.  I sent a batch of seeds to vermont, where my daughter germinated them in a week on a heat pad.  I was able to put them all in the ground yesterday and today before expecting the rains.  Hopefully they are hardy enough.  I plant as many different ones as possible.  Pears are great for me.  I tried Zucca last year, nothing happened, trying again.  Strawberry, martin house, basketball, bushel, apple,canteen, eggs and warted ones-flat,canteen and one other warted one.  I have a very small gourd garden area so I make mounds and put in more plants/seeds than I should in each mound .  I shut the gate when start to trail and forget about them.  Hopefully the animals forget about them too.  I had excellent luck with bananas and small pears last year.  I found 2 bananas in the garden hanging on to the fence that I overlooked and they survived the winter.  I'm about 3 weeks behind from last year.  Last year we had a spring.  This year I've gone from wearing a winter jacket and hat about 2 weeks ago to sweating.  Been busy so haven't checked the negordvine.  Back to your original question, I went with the gourdmans way-peatmoss, cowmanure and coffee grounds. Did not like it.  My daughter started with whatever she uses in the green houses=VT compost mixed with peatmoss and vermiculite I think.

                Stella/ Madison, CT

                woodsmith79 <woodsmith79@...> wrote:
                I joined the group a couple weeks a go and have not seen any posts so
                I will ask this,

                What kind of gourds dose every one grow and how do you start your
                seeds?
                                                From
                                                  Daniel

              • Leah Reed
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Hi Danie,

                  I live in Epping NH,   This is the 5th year I have been planting gourds and working on improving my crop/germination rate.... I have used cold frames in years past, and was fortunate to find a hot house for sale last summer.   I started my gourds on April 1st in the hot house and have to say that I had a 95% success in germination.   I started 145 4" peat pots with 3 seeds per pot.  I use the peat pots since gourds don't like their roots played with once they start to grow.  I had 34/35 different types, from jewelry to your bigger, bushel and anything in between I could find for seeds.   I have to say so far, I have not lost one plant.  I put them in the ground last week before the heat.     I like to plant in the evening to give them the night to settle in a little before the heat of the day sets in.    I use allot of cow manure and I prep my garden about 4 weeks before I am ready to plant.  This year I also added this year some commercial fertilizer and lime to my soil since I am tilled a new section.

                  OK back to the hot house - After the first two true leaves appear (remember that the first leaves to appear are not "true leaves" but smoothed-edged cotyledons.  The true leaves appear soon after.     I begin watering the plants in my hot house once a week with bunny poop tea.   Bunny poop can be used immediately it is very gentle and will not burn the plants like other manures.

                  I have taken pics of my gardens and will post as soon as I develop the film.   I sent some plants to my Moms in Salem NH so we will see. (ran out of room)

                  I like the challenge of growing gourds in NE - when I started really focus on growning gourds, I purchased the Book - "Gourds in Your Garden" by Ginger Summit provides some really good information.   Also, the Northern Grow Guide by Northern Dipper, Canadian Gourd Supplier (because they have as cold if not colder growing season than NE).

                  Has anyone used Devil's claws for decoration on your gourds.  I saw this in CA.  So I decided to try growthem as well.   They are tougher than gourds, very low germination rate however, I have three plants growing and one is blooming - lets see if I get any claws.    May not do well here since it really grows in the Southwest.

                  Leah (Epping NH)

                  woodsmith79 <woodsmith79@...> wrote:
                  I joined the group a couple weeks a go and have not seen any posts so
                  I will ask this,

                  What kind of gourds dose every one grow and how do you start your
                  seeds?
                                                  From
                                                    Daniel

                  Leah Reed
                  603-679-1961
                • STELLA dillon

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2006
                        Leah:

                        For one batch of 10 devil's claws  I paid 4$ - that included postage

                        The next batch I paid 8$ for I don't know how many.  Possibly more than 10. That also included postage. This batch was from Kansas, his e-mail at that time (2004) was rlwtaw@...   I also have his address if you are interested.

                        Don't forget, on e-bay the asking price possibly was less, and then I was high bidder. I didn't keep track of what the asking price was, just the final price. I kept those e-mails in my "gourd"  file.

                        STella/ Madison, CT.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                          Leah, I am just so impressed!  You really have stuck with the effort to grow gourds in New England and probably can claim the general grower's crown at this point.  Keep us posted on how they (I always think of the gourd plants as "the babies") do.   Penny (Amherst MA)