Action Alert for You

  • ninewands
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 5:48 AM
      Friends,
        I joined your group in order to communicate with you about McCook Community College in your fair state.  According to this article a Mr. Jim Garretson, who is on the science faculty at MCC, is planning on teaching a class in "Creation Science" under the aegis of the Physics Department.

      According to the article, Garretson has said:
      The class we will explore many topics relating to many different areas of science including:
      • The age of the earth, the earth's beginning, and where the earth is heading
      • The Garden of Eden and life on earth before the flood and the major changes which have taken place since that time
      • Dinosaurs in the past as well as in the present
      • The flood, ice ages, mountain formation, coal and oil formation, and the Grand Canyon
      • History of evolution through the ages and the effect it has had on the world as well as many very influential people
      • What is taught in school textbooks, without factual supportive evidence?
      In my opinion, teaching this religion class under the cover of a Physics course number (PHYS 2990) constitutes consumer fraud by a public employee.  I do not think the administration at MCC understands that this course could cost them their accreditation.

      I hope you will take what action you can to prevent this travesty from occurring.

      Sincerely yours,
      Charlie Wilkins <ninewands>
    • Clay Farris Naff
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 6:14 AM
        Charlie,

            Thanks for getting in touch. We've heard about this and begun to respond. We're very concerned. Do you live in the McCook area?

        Regards,

        Clay Naff
        Vice President

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 9:36 AM
          How about a letter from the NCFS board to the college? With copies to
          the local news outlets.
        • ninewands
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 12:26 PM
            Clay,
            Actually no. I found out about this situation through the
            Evolution/Creation Forum of the Internet Infidels Discussion Board. I
            live in Houston, Texas. I thought about filing a complaint with the
            Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, but
            decided your group would probably be the most suitable to handle this
            since it's on your turf.

            Best wishes,
            Charlie Wilkins <ninewands>