New Paper on Evolving Sodaracers with HyperNEAT

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2013
      Paul Szerlip and I are pleased to announce our new ECAL paper on evolving Sodarace-like creatures with HyperNEAT:

      PDF: http://eplex.cs.ucf.edu/papers/szerlip_ecal13.pdf

      Abstract: http://eplex.cs.ucf.edu/publications/2013/szerlip-ecal13

      For those who don't know, Sodarace creatures are basically connectivity patterns of joints and muscles, which makes them a natural match for HyperNEAT even though they're not neural networks. They're lightweight and cheap to simulate, making them a convenient research platform. In this paper, HyperNEAT combined with novelty search + local competition finds a large variety of interesting creatures with diverse ambulation strategies in a single run.

      One of the coolest results of this paper is an interactive website where you can see a visualization of the whole space of evolved creatures all at once (generated through PCA), and click on individual points to see the corresponding creature in action:

      http://eplex.cs.ucf.edu/ecal13/demo/PCA.html

      Best,