Re: [neat] CFP: AAAI 2013 Fall Symposium on How Should Intelligence be Abstracted in AI Research: MDPs, Symbolic Representations, Artificial Neural Networks, or _____?

  • Jeff Clune
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hello all,

      In the past we have had very interesting discussions on what biological details are necessary (or, at least, would help) produce AI, and which ones are superfluous (and can thus be abstracted away).

      A good example are some of the discussions recently involving Oliver Coleman, Martin Pyka, Ken, and myself, as well as those regarding whether CPPNs capture enough of the essential ingredients of development.

      These issues are the main focus of the AAAI Symposium that Sebastian, Joel and myself are organizing (the CFP below was sent out by Sebastian earlier today).

      Please consider submitting anything in the following list:
      • an abstract of your ideas on these subjects
      • an extended abstract summarizing work in progress, a published paper, or set of papers
      • a full, new paper describing original, related research

      We'd love to have members of this community join the discussion and debate these issues with members of other fields that will have very different ideas for the best ways to abstract AI.

      Best regards,
      Jeff Clune

      Assistant Professor
      Computer Science
      University of Wyoming
      jeffclune@...
      jeffclune.com

      On Mar 27, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Sebastian Risi <sebastian.risi@...> wrote:

      (apologies for multiple posting.)

      Call for papers

      Dear colleagues,

      We invite contributions to our AAAI 2013 Fall Symposium titled “How
      Should Intelligence be Abstracted in AI Research: MDPs, Symbolic
      Representations, Artificial Neural Networks, or _____?”. Each subfield
      of AI has a different perspective on intelligence and unspoken
      assumptions about what is critical to recreate it computationally. To
      better understand such differences, we aim to bring together a diverse
      group of AI researchers interested in discussing and comparing how
      intelligence and processes that might create it are abstracted in
      various subfields. For example, such discussion may include honest
      examination of the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches,
      and what features of biological intelligence are crucial or
      unnecessary to include in algorithms.

      We hope to encourage cross-pollination of ideas between researchers
      viewing intelligence in different ways (e.g. through the lens of MDPs
      or symbolic manipulation) and at different levels of abstraction
      (e.g. biologically-plausible neural simulations or restricted
      Boltzmann machines). One goal is to facilitate revising or creating
      new abstractions of intelligence and intelligence-generating
      processes. More information can be found here:
      http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~risi/AAAISymposium2013/

      Contributions related to how intelligence can or should be abstracted
      algorithmically in artificial intelligence research are invited.
      Extended abstracts that summarize the results of a research program
      along these lines are most welcome, as are personal position papers or
      contributions describing speculative work or work in progress. Works
      bridging traditionally separate AI paradigms are encouraged.
      Participants should be open to inspiration from work and ideas in
      other subfields, and be willing to step outside their intellectual
      comfort zones.

      Interested participants are encouraged to submit extended abstracts
      (no more than 2 pages), or full-length papers (up to 6 pages in AAAI
      format) in PDF format to sebastian.risi@.... Accepted
      submissions will be published as citable, peer-reviewed papers in the
      AAAI technical report.

      Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

      - Different levels and types of knowledge representation and reasoning
      - Abstractions of the following:
      - Neural networks (e.g. deep learning networks, spiking ANNs, and
      plastic ANNs)
      - Learning (e.g. machine learning and reinforcement learning)
      - Biological development (e.g. generative and developmental
      systems, and developmental robotics)
      - Evolutionary search (e.g. digital evolution and evolutionary
      algorithms)
      - Biologically-inspired computation
      - Evolutionary robotics
      - Swarm intelligence
      - Artificial life
      - Philosophical arguments on characteristics of appropriate abstractions for
      AI

      The symposium will be held Friday - Sunday, November 15-17 at the
      Westin Arlington Gateway in Arlington, Virginia (adjacent to
      Washington, DC).

      ** Invited Speakers **
      Andrew Ng (Stanford University, USA)
      More TBD

      ** Schedule **
      Full Paper/Extended Abstract Submission: May 24, 2013
      Notification: June 21, 2013
      Final Camera-ready Paper/Extended Abstract: September 12, 2013

      We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

      -- Sebastian Risi, Joel Lehman, Jeff Clune

      --
      Dr. Sebastian Risi
      Postdoctoral Fellow