GECCO 2012 Industrial Challenge: Call for Participation
- GECCO 2012 Industrial Challenge: Call for Participation
Optimizing Energy Efficiency by Consumption Data Forecasting
2012 GENETIC AND EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION CONFERENCE (GECCO-2012)
July 07-11, Philadelphia, U.S.A.
Sponsored by ACM SIGEVO
21th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA)
and the 17th Annual Genetic Programming Conference (GP)
Largest Conference in the Field of Genetic and Evolutionary Computation
In times of accelerating climate change and rising energy costs, increasing energy efficiency becomes a high priority goal for businesses and private households alike. Smart metering equipment records energy consumption data in regular intervals multiple times an hour, reporting this data to a central system, usually located at a local public utility company. Here, consumption data can be correlated and analyzed to detect anomalies like unusually high consumption. Goal of the GECCO 2012 Industrial Challenge is to develop accurate forecasting methods for electrical energy consumption profiles. Accurate consumption profile forecasting enables intelligent control of renewable energy source infrastructure, such as storage power plants, and therefore contributes to a smaller carbon footprint. Accurate consumption profile forecasting also enables energy
consumers to accurately assess the return on investment of measures to
increase energy efficiency.
Highlights of the GECCO 2011 Industrial Challenge include:
- Interesting Problem Domain: Forecasting energy consumption profiles based on smart metering data offers a challenging yet manageable test case for modern time series prediction methods.
- Real-world Data: Multiple real quarter-hourly energy consumption time series are provided for training, testing, and assessing forecasting methods.
- Direct Link to Industry: GreenPocket GmbH will evaluate the winning submissions for real-world application and will be in direct contact with the winning participants, who will keep all rights to their forecasting systems.
GreenPocket provides pioneering software for smart metering and smart home solutions. Combining the
best of the Internet with the new world of smart energy, GreenPocket enables utility companies to
significantly increase their customer's energy efficiency. Founded 2009, GreenPocket is Germany's leading
software provider for consumer-orientated smart energy software.
Important Dates and Contacts
- Challenge Website: http://gociop.de/gecco-2012-industrial-challenge/
- Challenge Submission Deadline: June 22, 2012
- GECCO-2012 Conference: July 07-11, 2012
- Organizers: O. Flasch, M. Friese, T. Bartz-Beielstein (Cologne University of Applied Sciences), J. Neuhalfen (GreenPocket GmbH), P.L. Lanzi (Politecnico di Milano)
- Industry Partner: GreenPocket GmbH, Cologne, Germany, http://www.greenpocket.de/en/
- Contact: gecco@...-koeln.de
GECCO is sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest