HyperNEAT/NEAT Compiling

  • erikcss
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
      All,

      I am making some progress here on my project. The examples for HyperNEAT are very good and helpful. Some technical questions will follow once I get this whole thing to compile.

      So far, I have been able to compile tinyxml to a DLL. Apparently NEAT has to be compiled to a DLL as well, and that is where I ran into a road block. When I attempt to compile NEAT, I get a number of errors. They are all related to Tinyxml. Any advice on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated. I am using version 2.6.1 of tinyxml.

      (I am building this on a windows machine using QT - Once I get things working here, I am going to cross-compile this for use on a Gumstix)

      In constructor 'NEAT::GeneticPopulation::GeneticPopulation(std::string)':
      no matching function for call to 'TiXmlDocument::TiXmlDocument(std::string&)'

      In member function 'void NEAT::GeneticPopulation::dump(std::string,bool,bool)':
      no matching function for call to 'TiXmlDocument::TiXmlDocument(std::string&)'

      In member function 'void NEAT::GeneticPopulation::dumpBest(std::string,bool,bool)'
      no matching function for call to 'TiXmlDocument::TiXmlDocument(std::string&)'
    • jgmath2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
        NEAT supports being built as a DLL but it isn't necessary, in fact the existing build system builds NEAT as a static library. Are you using the cmake scripts to build HyperNEAT? The manual has instructions on how to use cmake scripts to build HyperNEAT and these scripts build NEAT and Tinyxmlplus to static libraries.

        Note that I'm using tinyxmlplus, which is a different library from tinyxml and adds support for creating .xml.gz files (compressed xml files), as well as a host of other changes. I do not think that using the regular tinyxml library will work with HyperNEAT. The tinyxmlplus library is included in the HyperNEAT download.

        Jason G.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
          Jason,

          Thanks for the reply. I tried the library included in HyperNEAT, but that wont compile because the tinystrdll.cpp file requires a tinystr.h file that is not in the HyperNEAT archive.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2010
            If you look at the tinyxmldll/CMakeLists.txt file you will see that it does not build the tinystrdll.cpp file. This is a legacy file and is not needed anymore.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11, 2010
              Jason,

              Thanks for your patience. Right now, I am simply trying to get QT to import the cmake file. Apparently this functionality is supported in QT, however there seems to be some trick to it that eludes me. However, this is not a problem for this particular forum.

              Once I get that obstacle overcome, I will come back here if there are any other issues. Thanks again for your patience.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
                No problem, best of luck.

                The current code comes with a GUI written in WxWidgets, so it might be easier to use that instead of merging the code with Qt.

                Also, if you have trouble importing cmake files into Qt, you could read the CMakelists.txt files and use your own build system. As long as you set the same compiler flags and build the same files, it will work. The cmake build scripts are only building code and including libraries; there isn't anything fancy going on, so it should be fairly straightforward.