Re: NERO

  • Kenneth Stanley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      Mattias,

      Great idea! I would like to try that out. I am not sure how it fits
      into our plan right now but I will try to get it in at some point.

      ken

      --- In neat@yahoogroups.com, "Mattias Fagerlund" <mattias@c...> wrote:
      > Hey,
      >
      > I've been reading the NERO paper, very interesting stuff! I realize that
      > you probably won't be adding a lot of stuff at this time, but I thought
      > I'd raise this issue for possible discussion;
      >
      > I miss intern-agent communication methods. One popular method seems
      to be
      > simulated pheromones, where agents can selectively drop pheromones which
      > other agents can "smell", perhaps using two nostril-vectors at the
      "front"
      > of the agent. That way, one agent can follow the trail of another agent
      > without being confused by pheromones behind it.
      >
      > Pheromones slowly bleed off. What the pheromones represent is undefined,
      > for evolution to use or not use as it sees fit. Ants perform some
      amazing
      > feats using pheromones.
      >
      > Even cooler, give the agents two different pheromone types, so that the
      > can represent different things f.i. "danger this way" and "coolnes this
      > way"...
      >
      > cheers,
      > mattias
    • Kenneth Stanley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2005
        Hey Ian,

        Any chance we can quote something you said on the NERO forums in a
        press release? If so please send me an email to my personal address
        (on my webpage). It would help credibility to have the opinion of
        a former game developer.

        thanks,

        ken

        --- In neat@yahoogroups.com, Ian Badcoe <ian_badcoe@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I found time to have a quick look into Nero last night.
        >
        > Speaking as a former professional in the computer games
        industry, I've
        > seen a lot of cases folk decide a game will illustrate their
        work. They
        > think "how hard can it be?" And the answer is "far harder than
        you
        > imagine", and they come up with some horrible effort with clunky
        > interfaces, unusable controls, manual install procedures, flat-
        shaded
        > graphics which poke through walls, etc etc etc.
        >
        > But Nero completely turns this experience around. It is
        _very_ cool. I
        > just ran it last night and was up and running within a minute.
        There is

        with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com