Re: Some Good News and Some Bad News

  • Kenneth Stanley
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      --- In neat@yahoogroups.com, Mitchell Timin <zenguyuno@y...> wrote:
      > --- Colin Green <cgreen@d...> wrote:

      > > From your description of the problem and knowledge
      > > of what NEAT as
      > > solved so far I would agree that NEAT is capable of
      > > solving this with no
      > > problem at all.
      >
      > Right. Your real target should be the six-card game,
      > and larger. But you can do the 4-card game on the way
      > there. It will be interesting to see how many neurons
      > you wind up with. To play well the network must
      > remember which two of the 4 cards were exposed by the
      > first player, and whether each of those was a 1 or a
      > 2.
      > Then it must use that data to turn over an unexposed
      > card, and then pick the single exposed card that
      > matches it.

      I'm not sure NEAT would solve this task with no problem. It
      seems that since NEAT can evolve topologies, it has a good
      shot at finding a more efficient topology than a fully-recurrent
      net. But how specific is that optimal structure? It really
      would be quite interesting to see how NEAT would handle the problem.