Near-Death Newsletter ........................................ March 1, 2005

  • Kevin Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      "Nothing can happen more beautiful than death." - Walt Whitman

      =================================================================================Near-Death Newsletter..............................................March 1, 2005
      www.near-death.com .................................. Vol. 04, No. 03, Ed. 01
      month. The mission of this newsletter is to inform, enlighten, entertain,
      and aid the public in understanding the latest in all things concerning
      the NDE and related phenomena by promoting the International
      Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS), NDE researchers,
      experiencers, multimedia resources, and events.

      Disclaimer: This newsletter is not affiliated with IANDS; but is dedicated
      to the IANDS mission.

      Visit IANDS website at http://www.iands.org and join the premier
      organization for NDE research.

      Visit the NDE Online Store to find NDE multimedia products such as
      NDE books, documentaries, movies, music, magazines, & journals.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=bed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      To SUBSCRIBE to the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:
      neardeathnewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:

      =================================================================================The Online Version of the Near-Death Newsletter
      The online version of this newsletter can be found at this web page:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters/2005/0301.html

      For AOL and Compuserve users:

      =================================================================================Table of Contents
      (1)....NDEs in the News
      (2)....Q & A with Dr. PMH Atwater
      (3)....Books on the NDE
      (4)....IANDS in the Spotlight
      (5)....Odds and Ends

      =================================================================================(1)....NDEs in the News
      News From P.M.H. Atwater
      CHARLOTTSVILLE, VIRGINIA ----------- (P.M.H. Atwater's Website)
      Check out the latest news from P.M.H. Atwater at her website.
      Announcement: "The New Children and The Fifth World, Prophecy and
      Evolution". Sign-up for "The Sacred Journey Carribean Cruise" for
      Sept. 18-26, 2005. And much more...
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/news.html

      Upcoming Conferences and Events

      *** March 18, 2005: Nursing Seminar in Franklin, Tennessee
      Presenters include: PMH Atwater, Pam Kircher, Dannion Brinkley,
      Henry Reed. http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/sched.html#oneheart

      *** March 30 - April 3, 2005: 27th Annual EDEC Conference in
      Albuquerque, NM. Association for Death Education and Counseling's
      annual conference. http://www.adec.org/conf/index.htm

      *** April 22 - 27, 2005: 7th Conference on Science & Consciousness in
      Santa Fe, NM. Presenters include: Gary Schwartz, Stanislav &
      Christiana Grof, Charles Tart, Lee Baumann, Peter Russell, and Joseph
      Chilton Pearce. http://bizspirit.com/science/index.html

      *** May 14 -15, 2005: International Parapsychology Conference in
      Istanbul, Turkey. Presenters include: Gary Schwartz, P.M.H. Atwater,
      Janet Cunningham, John Palmer. http://www.ipc-istanbul.org/eng/hakkimizda.asp

      *** May 20 – 29, 2005: SSF-IIIHS International Conference Montreal,
      QC, Canada. Presenters include: Raymond Moody, Melvin Morse,
      Joyce Hawkes, Sean David Morton.
      http://www.iiihs.org/conference_introduction_2005.htm

      *** June 24 - 27, 2005: ASSC Annual Conference, Pasadena, California
      Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness' annual conference
      http://assc.caltech.edu/assc9/

      *** August 17-20, 2005: TSC Annual Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark
      Toward a Science of Consciousness annual conference.
      http://www.cfs.ku.dk/tsc2005/

      *** Sept. 8 - 10, 2005: IANDS Annual Conference, Virginia Beach, VA
      "Message and Meaning: Using the Near-Death Experience as a Tool for
      Living." http://www.iands.org/conf.html

      *** Sept. 16 - 18, 2005: CEP Annual Conference, Oxford, UK
      Consciousness and Experiential Psychology annual conference
      http://www.warwick.ac.uk/cep/latest_conference.html

      *** Sept. 18 - 26, 2005: P.M.H. Atwater's "Sacred Journey Carnival
      Cruise". Puerto Rico, U.S. & British Virgin Islands. Call (800) 624-7718
      for reservations. http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/cruise/cruise.html

      *** Visit the NDE Events Around The World page for more conference info:
      http://www.near-death.com/conferences.html

      BBC Documentary "The Day I Died" To Be Shown On UKTV
      (March 6, 2005) ........................................................ (UKTV)
      For those of you fortunate enough to watch the UK's premiere
      documentary channel (BBC), one of the best NDE documentaries
      ever produced will be shown on March 18, 20, and April 13, 2005.
      The documentary features the NDE testimonies of Rev. Gordon Allen
      and Pam Reynolds -- two extraordinary people who experienced
      two extraordinary NDEs. Someday I hope the BBC will make this
      documentary available for sale worldwide.
      http://www.gordonallen.org/Joyce/gordonallen.html
      *** Tell the BBC that you want "The Day I Died" available for sale
      at the BBC feedback page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/
      or the BBC contact page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/contactus/prog_info.shtml
      *** Visit Rev. Gordon Allen's Christian Family website:
      http://www.christianfamily.org/christianfamily.shtml
      *** Read about Pam Reynolds' fascinating NDE:
      http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html
      *** Read the BMJ Journal's articles mentioned in the documentary:
      http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/326/7383/288
      http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/326/7383/288#29446
      *** Download the PDF ebook about "The Day I Died":
      http://www.near-death.com/ebooks/nde/bbc_the_day_i_died_article.pdf
      *** You will need the Adobe PDF Reader to read it. Download it here:

      Some Heart Recipients Report Strange Changes
      (Feb. 27, 2005) TUCSON, ARIZONA ----------- (Arizona Daily Star)
      People who get donor hearts, develop new and surprising tastes and
      traits, then trace them to the donor. It's an eerie phenomenon that
      has triggered controversy and skepticism ... No scientific evidence
      exists to explain how characteristics of an organ donor might live on
      in the person who gets their organ. But theories and speculation
      abound, from the transforming power of beating a death sentence to
      the notion that the body's cells store memory. Some blame the toxic
      effects of potent transplant drugs and heavy anesthesia, while others
      cite the psychological trauma of knowing someone had to die to save
      a life. But even the self-described skeptics admit there may be more
      to this than imagination, though they insist it happens to a minority
      of patients.
      http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/dailystar/63240.php
      *** Read about Claire Sylvia's veridical dreams of her organ donor:
      http://www.near-death.com/dreams.html
      *** Purchase Claire Sylvia's book "A Change of Heart":
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446604690/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20
      *** Purchase the video which profiles Claire Sylvia - "The Secret World of Dreams":
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568552769/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Spiritual Awakening and the Near-Death Experience
      (Feb. 25, 2005) NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK -------- (BeliefNet)
      So in the early '70's, when I began to hear that ordinary men and women
      injured in a car wreck, or having major surgery on the operating
      table, felt their consciousness bathed in a flood of light, I got very excited.
      Their descriptions didn't sound that different from the enlightenment I
      was striving to reach by stilling the mind in meditation. By a lucky
      break, I got the chance to correspond personally with the guru of the
      near-death movement, the late Dr. Elizabeth Kubler Ross. She confirmed
      my hopes: the experience of light and bliss was indeed connected with
      something that happens at the time of death, or what our body believes
      is death. Because I was nowhere near enlightenment despite all my
      long hours of meditation, Dr. Kubler Ross's news opened to me a world
      of spiritual possibilities I had not dreamed of before. And then, the
      unthinkable happened: a member of my family had a near-death experience.
      http://www.beliefnet.com/story/160/story_16084_1.html

      Doctor Talks About Near-Death Experiences
      (March 4, 2005) BISMARCK, NORTH DAKOTA ----------(KFYR TV)
      Patrick Atkinson had a near-death experience at 13 when he drowned.
      He describes leaving his body and traveling down a vast tunnel toward
      a bright light ... a classic experience. It's not a bad experience, it's not
      a painful experience, it's not a lonely experience ... because there are
      people waiting for you. Along with the complete accompaniment of love.
      This feeling of comfort of going home is one that people frequently
      describe ... and another significant detail ... they usually lose their fear of death.
      http://www.kfyrtv.com/showNews.asp?whatStory=579

      Man Revives After Being Dead More Than 90 Minutes
      (Feb. 25, 2005) GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN ------- (PubNewswire)
      Life after death has been chronicled in a new book from Revell entitled
      "90 Minutes in Heaven". Immediately after being killed in a car accident
      nearly fifteen years ago, Don Piper went to heaven. EMTs on the scene
      determined he had been killed instantly after a semi had swerved into
      his lane, crushing his car. But Piper was unaware of the chaos swirling
      around his body on earth - he knew only that he was surrounded by
      loved ones and friends, magnificent light, a sense of pure peace and the
      most glorious music he had ever heard. "When I died, I didn't flow through
      a long, dark tunnel. I had no sense of fading away or of coming back.
      I never felt my body being transported into the light. I heard no voices
      calling to me or anything else. Simultaneous with my last recollection
      of seeing the bridge and the rain, a light enveloped me, with a brilliance
      beyond earthly comprehension or description. Only that. In my next
      moment of awareness, I was standing in heaven," writes Piper, in
      90 Minutes in Heaven.
      http://www.publishersnewswire.com/booknews/2005-02-0222-002.shtml
      *** Purchase the book "90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Life and Death":
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0800759494/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Life is Sweeter After Near-Death Experiences
      (Feb. 22, 2005) NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE ----------- (Tennessean)
      This intimate understanding of matter may be at least one reason why
      it is completely reasonable and rational for Degenhardt to explain so
      matter-of-factly how his essence sat up one night and communicated
      telepathically with his father. ''We were basking in each other's presence
      and having this jubilant reunion,'' Degenhardt said. ''Then, I was back
      in my body, back asleep.'' Shortly thereafter his mother came in to tell
      him his father, who was hospitalized with cancer, had died. He told her
      he already knew. That moment in 1982, when he was 20, changed
      Degenhardt forever. He has been ridiculed and threatened with
      institutionalization, yet the married father of twins from Murfreesboro
      also has been treated as an expert on the mysteries of life and death.
      He has been featured on talk shows such as Donohue and in a documentary
      on near-death experiences by local TV anchor Demetria Kalodimos ...
      This also is why Degenhardt, now 43, has just self-published a book,
      Surviving Death, in which he answers the questions most commonly
      asked by the people who have had near-death experiences, out-of-body
      experiences and what they term ''spiritually transformative'' experiences,
      the interesting and unexplainable that leaves lasting effects on a person.
      The book will be available this Easter 2005.
      http://www.tennessean.com/features/health/archives/05/01/65947053.shtml?Element_ID=e947053
      *** Pre-order a copy of Scott Degenhardt's book "Surviving Death":
      http://www.thedegshop.com/products.html

      Surviving A Kick In The Head
      (Jan. 18, 2005) MELBOURNE, AUSTRAILIA ------------- (The Age)
      I was walking a horse through a paddock and he kicked me in the
      head ... Then I found myself sitting on the Hurricane fence of the
      paddock where this had happened. There were a couple of ambulance
      officers working on me and they looked quite frantic, so I guess they
      were trying to revive me. I was told after the accident that my heart
      had stopped and they had to get me going again. I remember sitting
      there and just looking down with mild indifference, I wasn't emotional
      or carried away. The world looked normal to me, there was no bright
      light, or angels or anything. Then at one stage I basically shrugged
      my shoulders and thought, "Oh well, I guess I'll go back now." There
      was no pulling either way, no struggle. I was just comfortable, there
      was no decision to make, I was always going to go back. I really felt
      like I was me in a bodily form, sitting there on the fence, not a floating spirit.
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Surviving-a-kick-in-the-head/2005/01/17/1105810824882.html?oneclick==true

      The Man Who Died a Hundred Times
      (March 2, 2005) ATLANTA, GEORGIA ---------------------- (News 11)
      The fact that McClatchey got to the hospital alive was amazing enough.
      What happened next made medical history. "He was so unstable that
      he would literally be shocked, go back into regular rhythm long enough
      to start to wake up and then he would fibrillate again, and lose
      consciousness and we'd have to shock him again," Dr. Wilmer said.
      In the first hour, McClatchey's heart stopped 50 times and he could
      see it coming. "I remember seeing the heart monitor. It's kind of amazing
      to watch your own heart ….And you know you have about three
      or four seconds before you're gonna black out," he said.
      http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=Y732

      Defibrillator Project Leads The Charge
      (March 02, 2005) MONTICELLO, MINNESOTA ---- (Monticello Times)
      The Rotary Club has purchased seven defibrillators – which are used to
      interrupt cases of sudden cardiac arrest – and is working with local
      business owners to have the devices installed on their premises, with
      employees trained to use them ... The Rotarians' goal, said Steve
      Johnson, the program's committee chair, is to save lives ... Sudden
      cardiac arrest (SCA) is usually caused by an electrical malfunction
      of the heart called ventricular fibrillation: a quivering of the heart muscle
      that makes it unable to pump blood. Once that circulation stops, a
      person quickly loses consciousness and the ability to breathe. The
      success of resuscitation drops by about 10 percent with each passing
      minute, and after 10 minutes in cardiac arrest, a person's chance of
      survival is only about 2 percent.
      http://www.monticellotimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=&SubSectionID=v&ArticleID=49&TM= 005.11
      *** Read the Red Cross' website about Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs):
      http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/courses/aed.html
      *** Browse through the variety of defibrillators available for sale:
      http://www.americanaed.com/

      John Paul Writes of Near-Death Experience After 1981 Shooting
      (Feb. 23, 2005) ROME, ITALY ---------------- (Los Angeles Times)
      Felled by a would-be assassin's bullet, the leader of the Roman
      Catholic Church lay close to death as he was rushed to a hospital.
      Floating near unconsciousness, Pope John Paul II forgave his
      attacker, yet somehow remained confident that he would live. "Oh,
      my God! It was a difficult experience," the pope recalled. Finally
      passing out in the hospital as doctors frantically gave him blood,
      he nearly died: "I was practically on the other side," John Paul said.
      These are some of the most personal, emotional passages from a
      new book by the pope, due to be released today, in which he writes
      for the first time about his feelings in the hours after the May 13, 1981,
      assassination attempt. A Turkish gunman shot John Paul as he
      rode in an open car through St. Peter's Square at the Vatican.
      http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-popebook23feb23,1,7831283.story?coll==la-headlines-world&ctrack==1&cset==true
      *** Read the following related articles: "Pope Is Put On Respirator":
      http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2005/02/25/pope_is_put_on_respirator/
      "Pope Was Near Death": http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat==2&nid=$528
      "Pope's Health Raises Questions About Life Support":
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-02-24-pope-inside_x.htm
      "Pope Health Poses Vatican Dilemma": http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4250543.stm
      "Pope's Ordeal Gets His Key Message Across":
      http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id="9972005

      Florida Judge Rules Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube Will Be Removed
      March 18th
      (Feb. 25, 2005) PINELLAS PARK, FLORIDA --- (Associated Press)
      A judge gave Terri Schiavo's husband permission to remove the
      brain-damaged woman's feeding tube in three weeks, handing him
      a victory in his effort to carry out what he says were his wife's wishes
      not to be kept alive artificially ... The Schindlers do not believe their
      daughter is in a persistent vegetative state as court-appointed doctors
      have ruled. A leading Vatican cardinal also has weighed in on behalf
      of keeping Terri Schiavo alive. "If Mr. Schiavo legally succeeded in
      provoking the death of his wife, this would not only be tragic in itself,
      but it would be a serious step toward legally approving euthanasia in
      the United States," Cardinal Renato Martino, the head of the Pontifical
      Council for Justice and Peace, told Vatican Radio on Thursday.
      http://www.aclj.org/news/Read.aspx?ID=28
      *** Read a related news article from the Death With Dignity organization:
      http://www.deathwithdignity.org/fss/news.asp
      *** Read a related news article: "How ICU Nurses Prepare Families for
      Withdrawal of Life Support":
      http://stti.confex.com/stti/sos13/techprogram/paper_11751.htm
      *** Read an article by Kevin Williams "Do We Have The Right To Die?"
      http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide11.html

      Nurses of Hospice Patients Who Refuse Food and Fluids Report
      Peaceful Deaths
      (July 25, 2003) BURLINGTON, MASSACHUSETTS ---- (HealthGate)
      A study in the July 24, 2003 issue of The New England Journal of
      Medicine surveyed a group of Oregon hospice nurses and reported
      that one-third of them had at least one patient who had refused to
      eat or drink in order to hasten death. Furthermore, the nurses rated
      92% of these patients deaths as good, meaning they were peaceful,
      with little apparent suffering and pain. http://www.swedish.org/17601.cfm
      *** Read the following related news articles:
      "New England Journal of Medicine Study on Hospice Patients":
      http://www.nhpco.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=840&openpage=840
      "Patients Who Refuse To Eat Die Peacefully":
      http://www.nursing2003.com/pt/re/nursing/fulltext.00152193-200310000-00039.htm
      "Withholding and Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Treatment":
      http://www.aafp.org/afp/20001001/1555.html
      "Is Withholding Hydration a Valid Comfort Measure in the Terminally ill?":
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd==Retrieve&db==pubmed&dopt=«stract&list_uids=181763
      "Comfort measures for the terminally ill. Is dehydration painful?":
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd==Retrieve&db==PubMed&dopt=«stract&list_uids=@56276

      Author Anne Rice Gives Lift to Pastor Howard Storm's "My Descent
      Into Death"
      (Feb. 21, 2005) MCLEAN, VIRGINIA ------------------- (USA Today)
      She is a best-selling author known for novels about vampires. He is
      a minister who says he has seen and talked with angels. Anne Rice
      and Howard Storm have never met, yet they are working together to
      promote Storm's book,"My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance
      at Life" ... While in the hospital, Storm says, he had a near-death
      experience that didn't fit the stereotypical version — the one in which
      people experience a bright light and the presence of love. Instead,
      Storm says he was viciously attacked by creatures he sensed were
      once human. During those attacks, he says, he heard a voice telling
      him to pray. Storm knew no prayers but began murmuring lines from
      the 23rd Psalm, the Pledge of Allegiance and The Star-Spangled Banner.
      Then, he says, he was in the presence of Jesus and angels.
      http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2005-02-21-rice-storm_x.htm
      *** Read an excerpt from Rev. Howard Storm's book "My Descent Into Death":
      http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/excerpts/2005-02-21-descent-death_x.htm
      *** Purchase Rev. Howard Storm's book "My Descent Into Death":
      http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/catalog/display.pperl?0385513763

      Local Woman's "Grief Dreams" Are Part of New Book
      (Feb. 24, 2005) GENEVA, NEW YORK ------- (Finger Lake Times)
      Not long after Carin Cunningham's dad died of cancer in October 2003,
      she and other members of her family began having dreams about him.
      Dreams that left her looking for answers. After the first one, Cunningham
      woke up feeling like her father, Frank Caravita, was still alive, because
      he looked healthy and because it hadn't felt like a dream. Describing
      the incidents as vivid visits, Cunningham said that during one dream
      her father hugged her, and she actually felt the hug. "I can't even tell
      you the emotions," she said. "You just know they're still around. It's very
      comforting. You feel this joy." The Hillcrest Avenue mom and teacher
      began looking for information on the Internet and came across a Web
      site called www.griefdreams.com, which was seeking submissions for a
      book, titled "Grief Dreams" by T.J. Wray and Ann Back Price.
      http://www.fltimes.com/Main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID==7460
      *** Purchase the book "Grief Dreams": http://www.griefdreams.com/purchase.asp

      Angelic Visions
      (Jan. 27, 2005) LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ----- (The Guardian)
      Canadian inventor Troy Hurtubise could rewrite the physics rulebook
      if his newest creation lives up to the claims of its supporters, who
      apparently include MIT engineers and French government officials.
      "The Angel Light," they say, makes solid objects transparent ... His
      newest creation would, literally, change the way physicists view the
      world around us. The 8 ft long Angel Light, looking like a sci-fi laser
      cannon, came to Hurtubise in a dream, as he says do most of his
      inventions. "I saw it, the whole casing and everything, and I saw what
      it could do," he told a Canadian newspaper. "I had the same dream
      three times, and by the third time I had it in my head and I started to build it."
      http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/sciences/story/0,12243,1399124,00.html
      *** Visit Troy Hurtubise's Breakthrough Angel Light website:
      http://www.americanantigravity.com/hurtubise.shtml
      *** Read a related article: "Creativity and Inventions That Came From Dreams":
      http://science.howstuffworks.com/dream7.htm
      *** Read excellent articles about "Dream Incubation":
      http://www.experiencefestival.com/dream_incubation
      *** Read how your dreams are a connection to the afterlife:
      http://www.near-death.com/dreams.html

      Ghosts In A Machine
      (March 5, 2005) LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ---- (Times Online)
      What is it that triggers the brain to produce a religious experience?
      Jerome Burne investigates ... For years brain researchers shied
      away from exotic experiences such as hallucinations, near-death
      experiences or "intimations of the divine", on the grounds that there
      was no way to study them scientifically. But as consciousness has
      become an academically respectable topic, it has become harder
      to ignore "altered states". If memory and imagination can be linked
      to the activity of groups of neurons, couldn't the experience of being
      "at one with the universe" just be the result of brain cells firing?
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8123-1509923,00.html
      *** Read Olaf Blanke's "Out-of-Body Experience and Autoscopy of
      Neurological Origin": http://brain.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/127/2/243
      *** Read about veridical perception in near-death experiences:
      http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence02.html

      Brain Study Points To "Sixth Sense"
      (Feb. 25, 2005) WASHINGTON, DC ------------------ (Science Blog)
      Following the Asian tsunami, scientists struggled to explain reports
      that primitive aboriginal tribesmen had somehow sensed the impending
      danger in time to join wild animals in a life-saving flight to higher ground.
      A new theory suggests that the anterior cingulate cortex, described
      by some scientists as part of the brain's "oops" center, may actually
      function as an early warning system -- one that works at a subconscious
      level to help us recognize and avoid high-risk situations. While some
      scientists discount the existence of a sixth sense for danger, new
      research from Washington University in St. Louis has identified a brain
      region that clearly acts as an early warning system -- one that monitors
      environmental cues, weighs possible consequences and helps us adjust
      our behavior to avoid dangerous situations. "Our brains are better at
      picking up subtle warning signs than we previously thought," said Joshua
      Brown, Ph.D., a research associate in psychology in Arts & Sciences
      and co-author of a study on these findings in the Feb. 18 issue of the
      journal Science. http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/7036
      *** Visit Dr. Joshua Brown's website: http://iac.wustl.edu/~jwbrown/
      *** Read the article "Learned Predictions of Error Likelihood in the
      Anterior Cingulate Cortex":
      http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/307/5712/1118

      Moving The Conscious Mind
      (Feb. 14, 2005) DALLAS, TEXAS ---------------- (The UTD Mercury)
      He said scientists have been able to teleport quantum particles for
      some time now, and the conference posed the question if the same
      could be done to a human body with its conscience. Barber said
      there were debates regarding the relationship between consciousness
      and quantum matter. Many argued consciousness was something
      more complex than matter because it enables the way we "formulate
      our experience." He noted Karl Pribram from Georgetown University
      said "things" in the brain need to be thought of as "wave forms" rather
      than plain matter. Others suggested the duality between matter and
      consciousness, which could make the prospect of human teleportation
      feasible. Barber says in his report - soon to be published in the English
      Journal of Conscious Studies - that scientists and neurologists "thought
      consciousness a case of matter and energy," and the artists saw it
      as a "virtual reality where our attempts at explaining sensory input
      creates something new from shared archetypes and metaphors."
      http://www.theutdmercury.com/news/2005/02/14/LifeArts/Moving.The.Conscious.Mind-862712.shtml
      *** Read the following related articles: "Quantum Games":
      http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/iw/2005/02/27/stories/2005022701071500.htm
      "Michio Kaku: Mr. Parallel Universe":
      http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,9830,1419422,00.html
      "Time Bandits: What Were Einstein and Godel Talking About":
      http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/?050228crat_atlarge
      "Einstein's Miracle Year":
      http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2005/02/20050204_b_main.asp
      "In The Stars: Hawking's Beautiful Mind":
      http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.php?StoryID= 050215-022440-3390r

      Trance States Stimulate Conscious Evolution
      (March 4, 2005) VENICE, CALIFORNIA --- (Phenomena Magazine)
      When John Jay Harper's best friend, George, an optics physicist,
      died of a heart attack in 1987, at age 40, Harper went to Alabama
      and served as a pallbearer at the funeral. The two men had met two
      decades earlier, while assigned to the U.S. Army Missile Command
      in Germany, and had become fast friends. George's death sent
      Harper into an intense grieving process. Seven months later and 2500
      miles away at his new home in Silverdale, Washington, Harper awoke
      about 4 o'clock one morning to find an image of George standing over
      him in the master bedroom ... Though the act of seeing George's image
      only lasted a couple of minutes, for Harper the passage of time felt
      like a glimpse at eternity. It was a life altering experience, a mystical
      awakening, that plunged Harper into ever deeper realms of scientific and
      esoteric research consuming the next 15 years of his life.
      http://www.phenomenamagazine.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id==0&this_cat==The+Ghost+Inside&action==page&obj_id='15&type_id==5&cat_id=1&sub_id==0
      *** Visit Dr. John Jay Harper's "Ancient Visions of Modern Wisdom"
      website: http://www.johnjayharper.com

      Mysteries of the Mind
      (Feb. 28, 2005) WASHINGTON, DC --- (U.S. News & World Report)
      "Most of what we do every minute of every day is unconscious, "
      says University of Wisconsin neuroscientist Paul Whelan. "Life would
      be chaos if everything were on the forefront of our consciousness." ...
      Says Clinton Kilts, a professor in the department of psychiatry and
      behavioral sciences at Emory, "There is nothing that you do, there
      is no thought that you have, there is no awareness, there is no lack
      of awareness, there is nothing that marks your daily existence
      that doesn't have a neural code. The greatest challenge for us is to
      figure out how to design the study that will reveal these codes."
      http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/050228/health/28think.htm

      We Are The Final Frontier
      (Feb. 10, 2005) LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -----(The Guardian)
      Ian Sample asks leading scientists what comes next ... We will
      invent our successors ... We will understand the human mind ... The
      existence of parallel universes ... We will change our genetic makeup ...
      We will find out if we are alone ... Humans become a collective intelligence ...
      We'll understand thoughts and feelings ... The end of the individual ...
      What if God lives in a part of our brain? ... What it means to be a
      person ... Conscious machines ... Higher dimensions ... Humans are
      less miraculous than we thought.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1409019,00.html

      It's All in the Mind: Scientists Still Trying to Explain Deja Vu
      (Feb. 15, 2005) CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA ----- (Daily News)
      There have been attempts at clearing up the phenomenon, which
      some people see as evidence for the belief that after death the soul
      passes to another body, whether human or animal. One point of
      departure for researchers has been that a deja vu experience is
      linked to an experience in a dream that has been half or totally
      forgotten. Two French writers on the topic, Marc Tadie and his
      brother Jean-Yves, point to this in their book "Le Sens de la Memoire."
      It is characteristic of the experience that one is certain for a moment
      that one has lived through this experience before, but can simply
      not remember at what point in time. "In a dream the consciousness
      can move freely in a space without limits, in which past and future
      blend," the two Tadies say. In a contribution last year to the German
      magazine Gehirn & Geist (Brain and Spirit, published by Heidelberg)
      reference is made to research into memory processes conducted by
      John Gabrieli and his team at Stanford University in California.
      http://www.dailynews.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=P0&fArticleId=$11407
      *** Visit John Gabrieli's website at Stanford University:
      http://gablab.stanford.edu/people/gabrieli/

      What The Bleep?
      (Feb. 23, 2005) TUCSON, ARIZONA --------------- (Explorer News)
      According to the study guide, "'What the Bleep' proposes that there
      is no solid, static universe 'out there,' waiting to be comprehended
      by our probing minds, but that reality is so mutable, it is affected
      by our very perception of it." The proposal is based on a widely
      accepted tenant of quantum mechanics - physics at the subatomic
      level - that describes the bizarre nature of electrons. Electrons, it so
      happens, act like both waves and particles. As waves, they have no
      precise location. They're more like fields of probability. As particles,
      they stop being like probability fields and collapse into solid objects
      that have a place in time. Even more bizarre, according to the study
      guide, quantum physics shows that "unobserved electrons act differently
      than measured ones. When they are not measured, electrons are
      waves. When they are, they become particles." "What the Bleep Do
      We Know" poses a question engaging to spiritual seekers like Rae:
      What if human consciousness can collapse the possible into the actual?
      http://www.explorernews.com/articles/2005/02/23/northwest_-_pima_county/northwest02.txt
      *** Order the documentary DVD to be released March 15, 2005:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006UEVQ8/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20
      *** Download the "What The Bleep" Study Guide (PDF):
      http://www.bleepspace.com/download/WTBstudyGuide.pdf
      *** Download the PDF reader from Adobe if you don't have it:
      *** Visit the "What The Bleep" website: http://www.whatthebleep.com/

      Predicting the Future with Random Numbers?
      (Feb. 14, 2005) SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS ------- (Unknown Country)
      The Global Consciousness Project is in the process of developing
      data that suggests that there is a level of human emotion or thought
      that can collectively affect random number generators, and that it is
      at least somewhat predictive of large scale negative events, especially
      those that are human-generated, such as the attack on the US World
      Trade Center on September 11, 2001. If the data remains consistent,
      then it could be that scientists will be able to predict the future. More
      importantly, it will mean that each of us, on some level, knows at least
      enough about the future to sense when something big is about to happen.
      Individually, this awareness is apparently quite weak. Collectively, though,
      if scientists can find no conventional explanation, then it would seem
      that it is measurably strong. http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=D22
      *** Visit Princeton University's Global Consciousness Project:
      http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

      The Mystery Of The Earth's Magnetic Field Reversals May At
      Last Be Solved
      (Feb. 24, 2005) YARDLEY, PENNSYLVANIA --- (Popular Mechanics)
      Some scientists suggest it is time for the poles to reverse ... Jeremy
      Bloxham of Harvard University told scientists at last year's meeting
      of the American Geophysical Union that the Earth's magnetic field
      decreased by 10 percent during the past 150 years. There is a real,
      albeit slight, chance that it could disappear entirely. The consequences
      would be far worse than having to rely on GPS alone for navigation. The
      sun is forever kicking cosmic sand in our face in the form of electrically
      charged particles. The magnetic field diverts them, producing the astonishing
      northern and southern lights. Without the magnetic field, the planet would
      be a much more hostile place.
      http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282336.html
      *** Read more about the Pole Shift predicted by NDErs:
      Edgar Cayce's predictions: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/cayce11.html
      Other NDE predictions: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research32.html
      Crystalinks website on Pole Shift: http://www.crystalinks.com/poleshifts.html

      Archive of NDEs in the News
      Read all the major news articles concerning the NDE and related
      phenomenon from 1995 to current. This is a permanent archive to
      ensure that these news articles will always be available on the internet.
      http://neardeath.home.comcast.net

      Free Email Alerts
      *** Sign up to receive free news email alerts from GOOGLE News
      concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://www.google.com/alerts?q==&hl==en

      *** Sign up to recieve free news email alerts from YAHOO News
      concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://alerts.yahoo.com/

      =================================================================================(2)....Q and A with Dr. P.M.H. Atwater
      ........An in-depth look at the near-death phenomenon
      In this section of the newsletter, PMH Atwater will answer a question
      submitted to her from subscribers to this newsletter. If you have a
      question that you would like her to answer for this column, just email
      your question to me at: webmaster@... for consideration.

      P.M.H. Atwater's latest books are entitled
      "The New Children and Near-Death Experiences"
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591430208/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      "We Live Forever: The Real Truth About Death"
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0876044925/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      SEPTEMBER 18 - SEPTEMBER 26, 2005:
      Take the Sacred Journey Cruise to the Caribbean with P.M.H. and
      Terry Atwater for a Seminar at Sea. Learn more here:
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater/special/cruise.html

      QUESTION: "I am a 54-year old male and suffered a near fatal air crash
      when I was 25. During the incident, the helicopter of which I was a crew-
      member was caught in a downdraught as we flew over a cliff. The aircraft
      was thrown down the escarpment and dropped almost 1,800 feet in 4 - 5
      seconds before regaining flight, missing the ground by approximately
      100 feet. During this ordeal, I had the sensation of slow motion thinking
      where my whole life and loved ones in it went through my thought processes.
      At the end, I knew death was imminent yet instead of panic there was a
      complete acceptance of what was about to occur and a complete peacefulness.
      The only sense I was aware of was sight as I saw the blade going around
      above me. The peace I felt was as if I had already passed over. Is there a
      hidden message that I cannot fathom in this experience?"... Tony

      ANSWER by PMH ATWATER: "First of all, let me say that it is common
      for an individual in a life-threatening situation, child or adult, to have an
      out-of-body experience and/or find his or herself engaged in a life review.
      You never mentioned an out-of-body experience, but you did a life review.
      Because these two elements occur with such frequency to people, they
      have been trivialized by scientific and medical investigators as a mere
      artifact of the brain, not to be taken seriously. What we find in near-death
      research, however, is that ...
      [Read more at http://www.near-death.com/atwater/index.html ]

      P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D.
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater.html
      Marketplace (a public service):
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/rosen.html

      =================================================================================(3)....Books on the NDE
      *** The NDE Online Store includes NDE books, videos, movies,
      documentaries, magazines, and other media.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=bed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      My Descent into Death: A Second Chance at Life
      by Howard Storm .....................................(Availability: Now)
      This is one of the greatest NDE stories ever told. It was first
      released on July 10, 2000, and now a second edition will be released
      this February 15th. Not since Betty Eadie's "Embraced by the Light"
      has a NDE story been so utterly different from most others or more
      compelling. Perhaps no one but Howard Storm has fallen to such
      great depths, then risen to such great heights, and lived to tell about
      it. Rather than being welcomed by light beings immediately after death,
      Howard was tortured by monstrous beings of depravity. But a simple
      childhood prayer allowed him to be rescued by Jesus himself and be
      taken to heaven. As it was with Betty Eadie, Howard's story is a
      great message of hope and a great message of redemption. Anne Rice,
      who wrote the Foreword of Howard's book, had this to say about it:
      "This is a book you devour from cover to cover, and pass on to others.
      This is a book you will quote in your daily conversation. Storm was
      meant to write it and we were meant to read it." When Anne Rice read
      Howard's manuscript she was so overwhelmed, she volunteered to
      provide the foreword.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385513763/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Why I Live: Personal Testimonies of a Doctor of Metaphysical
      Sciences in Cosmic Consciousness, Chakra Activation, Near-Death
      Experience, and More
      by Lionel Maithri ......................................... (Availability: Now)
      Lionel Maithri was born in Sri Lanka and at the age of seven he had
      a cosmic consciousness experience which implanted in him a source
      of inner energy to find answers to all his questions. His life was
      completely changed by this experience, but he was frustrated at
      that time by his inability to verbalize what he experienced. In 1993,
      he had a near-death experience during a by-pass surgery which
      enhanced his spiritual development process. Details of these
      experiences and their impact on his life are described in this book.
      This book is a synthesis of his deep knowledge and wide experience.
      His aim is to share with all others his own experience of what has
      helped him in self-development throughout the course of his life.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1413474594/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Is There an Afterlife?: A Comprehensive Overview of the Evidence,
      from East and West
      by David Fontana ........................................ (Availability: Now)
      Do aspects of our personality survive our physical body? The fruit
      of many years research and experience by a world expert in the
      field, Is There an Afterlife? presents the most complete survey to
      date of the evidence, both historical and contemporary, for survival
      of physical death. This evidence includes the study of mediumship,
      poltergeists, the electronic voice phenomenon (EVP) and much more.
      David Fontana also looks at the question of what survives, and has
      some particularly interesting insights to share on the subject of
      consciousness. Could consciousness be, as suggested by recent
      brain research and quantum physics, primary to rather than dependent
      on matter? Fontana completes this fascinating book by discussing the
      possible nature of the afterlife, the common threads in Western and
      Eastern traditions, group souls and reincarnation.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903816904/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Dreamways of the Iroquois: Honoring the Secret Wishes of the Soul
      by Robert Moss ........................................... (Availability: Now)
      The ancient teaching of the Iroquois Native Americans is that dreams
      are experiences of the soul in which we may travel outside the body,
      across time and space, and into other dimensions -- or receive visitations
      from ancestors or spiritual guides. Dreams call us to remember our
      sacred contracts and reclaim the knowledge that belonged to us, on
      the levels of soul and spirit, before we entered our present life experience.
      Robert Moss was called to these ways when he started dreaming in a
      language he did not know, which proved to be an early form of the
      Mohawk Iroquois language. From his personal experiences, he developed
      a spirited approach to dreaming and living that he calls "active dreaming."
      This book is at once a spiritual odyssey, a tribute to the deep wisdom
      of the First Peoples, a guide to healing our lives through dreamwork, and
      an invitation to soul recovery.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594770344/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence
      That Points toward God
      by Lee Strobel ............................................. (Availability: Now)
      Cosmologists agree that the universe arose suddenly out of absolute
      nothingness. But how? And how did it unfold with such painstaking
      precision? As biologists continue to probe the cell, the more amazed
      they are at its intricacies -- complexities so staggering that they
      confound all naturalistic attempts to explain life's origins. Could it be
      that the world looks designed because it really is designed? In his
      most powerful and fascinating book yet, award-winning journalist and
      former atheist Lee Strobel uncovers compelling evidence for
      intelligent design from the fields of cosmology, physics, astronomy,
      biochemistry, DNA research, and the study of human consciousness.
      Lee Strobel was educated at Yale Law School and was the award-winning
      legal editor of the Chicago Tribune and a spiritual skeptic until 1981.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310240506/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      The Road to Reality
      by Roger Penrose ......................................... (Availability: Now)
      This is arguably the most important work of science, aimed at the
      general reader, to be published in living memory. This 1000-page
      guide to the universe aims to provide a comprehensive account of
      our present understanding of the physical universe, and the essentials
      of its underlying mathematical theory. It attempts to convey an overall
      understanding -- a feeling for the deep beauty and philosophical
      connotations of the subject, as well as of its intricate logical
      interconnections. Clearly, a work of this nature is challenging, but
      no particular mathematical knowledge on the part of the reader is
      assumed. This book provides a feeling for all the key issues and
      deep current controversies, and counters the common complaint
      that cutting-edge science is fundamentally inaccessible.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679454438/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      The Wisdom Paradox: The New Science of Wisdom and How the Mind
      Can Grow Stronger as We Grow Older
      by Elkhonon Goldberg ....................................(Availability: Now)
      In "The Wisdom Paradox," world-renowned neuropsychologist Elkhonon
      Goldberg argues that though some mental abilities (such as recent-
      memory recall) decline as the mind enters the "autumn season" of
      our life span, the brain becomes more powerful in its ability to recognize
      patterns. As a result, we are able to make decisions at more intuitive
      and effective levels -- a late-emerging mental strength he terms "wisdom."
      In lively, accessible prose, Goldberg delves into the mechanisms of the
      mind, outlining how the elegant structures of the brain develop and
      change over the course of a lifetime as they work increasingly in concert.
      Goldberg is the author of "The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the
      Civilized Mind" and is a clinical professor of neurology at the New York
      University School of Medicine. He is in private practice in neuropsychology
      and is an active researcher in the field of cognitive neuroscience.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592401104/ref==nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      =================================================================================(4)....IANDS in the Spotlight
      IANDS is the premier research organization in the field of near-death
      studies. If you haven't yet joined this wonderful organization, I encourage
      you to join online at their membership page. There are many benefits for
      being a member. Their quarterly newsletter Vital Signs is alone worth
      becoming a member.

      Home page: http://www.iands.org
      Join IANDS: http://www.iands.org/joincard.html

      SEPTEMBER 8 - 10, 2005 - IANDS Annual Conference
      "Message and Meaning: Using the Near-Death Experience as a Tool for Living"

      Hotel reservations can now be made at:
      Virginia Beach Resort Hotel & Conference Center
      2800 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach, VA USA 23451
      (800) 468-2722 http://www.virginiabeachresort.com/
      Mention IANDS to receive a $95 per night rate (instead of the normal $135).

      Check out the IANDS Conference page for more info:
      http://www.iands.org/conf.html

      Get a Free Copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Near-Death Experience"
      Join IANDS and receive a free copy of P.M.H. Atwater's 480-page
      "encylopedia of the NDE." "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Near-Death
      Experience" has been called "the Ultimate NDE Guide". Ken Ring, Ph.D.
      had this to say about Atwater's guide: "This book by PMH Atwater is to
      me the definitive work on near-death experiences, and stands somewhere
      between being a Bible for the field and an encyclopedia of it. It is a tremendous achievement - and its warm, compulsively readable, engaging, provocative
      and fun as well." This offer is good while supplies last. Visit IANDS join
      page for more information about becoming a member:
      https://www.iands.org/joincard.html

      This newsletter is currently hosted by Yahoo Groups. You can visit the
      home page for this newsletter at Yahoo Groups for more information
      about this free newsletter service:

      Please feel free to share this newsletter with others.
      Search for past issues of this newsletter:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters.html

      =================================================================================Copyright (c) 2004 Near-Death Experiences & the Afterlife