Near-Death Newsletter ---------------------- January 1, 2005

  • Kevin Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      "If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide
      unto the body of life. For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea
      are one." - Kahlil Gibran

      month. The mission of this newsletter is to inform, enlighten, entertain,
      and aid the public in understanding the latest in all things concerning
      the NDE and related phenomena by promoting the International
      Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS), NDE researchers,
      experiencers, multimedia resources, and events.

      Disclaimer: This newsletter is not affiliated with IANDS; but is dedicated
      to the IANDS mission.

      Visit IANDS website at http://www.iands.org and join the premier
      organization for NDE research.

      Visit the NDE Online Store to find NDE multimedia products such as
      NDE books, documentaries, movies, music, magazines, & journals.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=62ed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      To SUBSCRIBE to the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:
      neardeathnewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:

      The Online Version of the Near-Death Newsletter

      The online version of this newsletter can be found at this web page:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters/2005/0101.html

      For AOL and Compuserve users:

      Table of Contents

      (1)....NDEs in the News
      (2)....Q & A with Dr. PMH Atwater
      (3)....Books on the NDE
      (4)....IANDS in the Spotlight
      (5)....Odds and Ends

      (1)....NDEs in the News

      How You Can Help Those Suffering From the Quake and Tsunami
      WASHINGTON, DC ----- (American Red Cross)
      The American Red Cross is not a government agency and all Red Cross
      disaster assistance is free thanks to the generosity of people like you.
      The value of your donation is increased by the fact that the ratio of
      volunteer Red Cross workers to paid staff is almost 36 to one.
      Note: Be careful of bogus websites posing as disaster relief organizations.
      The Red Cross is perhaps the safest and most cost-effective disaster
      relief organization on the planet.
      https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

      Faiths Ask of Quake: "Why Did You Do This, God?"
      LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ----- (Reuters)
      In one modern view, he said, God does not interfere in the affairs of his
      creation. Disasters like the tsunami occur for the natural reasons
      scientists say they do. "This is not something that God has done.
      God hasn't picked out a certain group of people in a certain area of
      the world and said: 'I am going to punish them,"' he said. "The world
      has certain imperfections built into the natural order, and we have to
      live with them. The issue isn't 'Why did God do this to us?' but 'How
      do we human beings care for one another?"'
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=570&e=2&u=/nm/20041230/sc_nm/quake_religion_dc
      *** Amit Varma at "India Uncut" is blogging the tsunami aftermath at
      ground level, and it is a more horrific scene than can be imagined from
      the news reports and helicopter tours. To read his astonishing survival
      stories of this tragedy visit: http://indiauncut.blogspot.com/

      Scientists: Quake May Have Made Earth Wobble
      LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA ----- (Reuters)
      The deadly Asian earthquake may have permanently accelerated
      the Earth's rotation, shortening days by a fraction of a second and
      caused the planet to wobble on its axis, U.S. scientists said Tuesday.
      Richard Gross, a geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory
      in California, theorized that a shift of mass toward the Earth's center
      during the quake Sunday caused the planet to spin 3 microseconds,
      or millionths of a second, faster and to tilt about an inch on its axis.
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/29/quake.wobble.reut/index.html

      Did Animals' Sixth Sense Save Them From Tsunami?
      JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA ----- (Reuters)
      Wild animals seem to have escaped the Indian Ocean tsunami, adding
      weight to notions they possess a "sixth sense" for disasters, experts
      said on Thursday. Sri Lankan wildlife officials have said the giant waves
      that killed over 24,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's coast
      seemingly missed wild beasts, with no dead animals found.
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/30/quake.animals.reut/index.html

      Do Animals Have Souls?
      SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS ----- (Unknown Country)
      One listener writes: "I witnessed a television interview between Diane
      Sawyer and Roy of Siegfried and Roy. What I remember the most
      was Roy's memories of his NDE with his tigers. When he was at the
      point Anne was, Roy's tigers were in his near-death experience. No doubt,
      when it is my time, my cats should greet me -- they are my family!"
      http://www.unknowncountry.com/diary/?id=172

      Higher States of Consciousness
      EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND ----- (The Scotsman)
      The depictions on the cave walls and the content of modern human
      trance-like states are strikingly similar and reproducible. Vision-questers,
      by whatever route, feel they leave their bodies, pass through a hole or
      aperture and along a tunnel or vortex. Early on, they see geometric
      shapes, lines and zig-zags. Later they encounter scary animals which
      must be overcome before meeting a spiritual supreme being. Other
      features common to multiple cultures are emerging from water; flight;
      a bright and blinding light; and, curiously, bleeding from the nose or
      mouth. In some cultures, aspiring shamans were obliged to go through
      painful and dangerous ordeals which really did bring them to the brink of death.
      http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=4442005

      Minister's Wife Succumbs To Pneumonia
      SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA ----- (The Shreveport Times)
      Twenty-five years ago, Lily Schmitt, who had muscular dystrophy and
      scleroderma, was feeling too weak to participate in Christmas Eve
      activities. But while she was waiting at home for her husband, she had
      a "death experience" in which she met Jesus. Afterward, she felt good
      enough to attend a second Christmas Eve service.
      http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050101/NEWS01/501010315/1002/NEWS

      Near-Death Experience Heals Insomnia Through Music
      RICHARDSON, TEXAS ----- (PRWeb Press Release)
      Marcey Hamm has a near-death experience then starts composing
      music that heals insomnia.
      *** Read about Marcey Hamm's near-death experience:
      http://www.healingproducts.com/marcey_info.htm
      *** Listen to sound clips of her beautiful NDE music:
      http://www.healingproducts.com/musicbymarcey.htm

      Postmaster Finds Balance Through Yoga
      SONORA, CALIFORNIA ----- (The Union Democrat)
      "My body was so exhausted that I went into shock. When I lost
      consciousness, I began coming out of my body," she said. "I was
      hovering over my body in the most tranquil state. Words can't even
      explain it." She had another out-of-body experience when her father
      died in 1998 at a Bay Area hospital ... "It was the sound of grief that
      filled the room and then it just stopped," she said of the crying. Once
      the tears ceased, she looked out the window and saw three bright lights,
      which she believes were angels coming for her father. Davis told her dad
      he could go with the angels so he stopped breathing and the lights
      went away, she said. "I'm not afraid of death," Davis says. "Death is
      freedom. I know that sounds really strange, but there's liberation in death."
      http://www.uniondemocrat.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=16020

      Study Shows No Stay On Death
      CHICAGO, ILLINOIS ----- (Reuters)
      The common perception that terminally ill people try to hang on until
      after a major event like their birthday or a big holiday isn't true, according
      to a study. Records for more than 300,000 cancer victims who died in the
      state of Ohio between 1989 and 2000 showed they had no special capability
      or willingness to keep going until after Christmas, Thanksgiving, or their
      birthdays, the report said. "Analysis of thousands of cancer deaths shows
      no pattern to support the concept that 'death takes a holiday,'"
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=856&ncid=856&e=2&u=/nm/20041221/od_uk_nm/oukoe_health_holidays

      Reanimators Try to Grasp the Afterlife Mystery
      MOSCOW, RUSSIA ----- (Pravda)
      This is an interesting article on how some scientists believe that by
      reducing the near-death experience to its physical components in
      the brain, they are somehow refuting any spiritual components which
      may be associated with it. Such researchers often dismiss the
      near-death experience as being caused by brain anomalies despite
      the fact that the cause of near-death experiences is not relevant to
      whether they are actual transcendental experiences or not. Such
      reductionism only shows that near-death experiences have a physical
      component. However, to disprove the tremendous amount of existing
      scientific evidence supporting the reality of a non-physical component
      to near-death experiences is the "ball" in the skeptic's court which
      they have yet to even notice.
      http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/378/14745_afterlife.html

      Scientific Proof of Paranormal Ignored
      MAKATI, PHILIPPINES ----- (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
      "I can cite the massive scientific data collected by Dr. J. B. Rhine
      of Duke University to prove the existence of telepathy and clairvoyance,
      the 20-year experiments conducted by physicists Dr. Russell Targ
      and Dr. Puthoff of the Stanford Research Institute on remote viewing,
      and the highly controlled studies of Dr. Robert Jahn of Princeton
      University proving the existence of telekinesis beyond reasonable
      doubt. But most critics have never really bothered to look at these
      scientific proofs and evidence."
      http://news.inq7.net/lifestyle/index.php?index=2&story_id=22545&col=3

      Theoretical Physicists Cast Fascinating Light on the Universe
      DETROIT, MICHIGAN ----- (Detroit Free Press)
      What if I told you the finest minds of our generation now think that our
      universe is probably only one of many universes? In other words,
      everything that is, as you and I have always understood it, is only
      one of many --possibly infinite -- separate everythings that are? I'm not
      talking about separate planets or even separate galaxies. I mean
      separate universes.
      http://www.freep.com/features/books/salij26e_20041226.htm
      *** Related news article: The First Evidence For String Theory?
      http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg18424781.400
      *** View two news video clips about "String Theory: The Real Matrix":
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/minutes/q_30122.html
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/minutes/q_3012.html
      *** You will need QuickTime software installed to view these.
      If you don't have QuickTime, download it for free here:
      http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
      *** Related science article: Imagining Other Dimensions
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/dimensions.html
      *** Related NDE article: The multi-dimensional realm of the NDE:
      http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research20.html

      Near-Death Experience Leads Hopkins to Church
      CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA ----- (The Daily Progress)
      Hopkins was loading a truck in 1980 when he fell on his back.
      Looking up, he saw a brilliant rainbow and thought, "I'd really like
      to have something that beautiful in my life," he recalled. Hopkins
      quit his job. He said he had realized his life was empty because it
      consisted only of working and making money. A lifetime spent
      chasing the dollar, he said, can destroy a person's humanity.
      http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP%2FMGArticle%2FCDP_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779908008&path=!news&tacodalogin=no

      Medical Technology Explains About Afterlife Scenarios and Reincarnation
      WHITEHOUSE STATION, NEW JERSEY --- (The India Daily)
      According to Dr. Weiss, he understands what really happens after
      death and how souls keep coming back till they reach immortality.
      Shanti Devi was born (or perhaps more accurately stated, reborn) in
      Delhi in 1926. When she was four years old she made a startling
      declaration to her family: "This is not my real home! I have a husband
      and a son in Mathura! I must return to them!" The young girl was able
      to provide many details of her past life, including descriptions of her
      previous home and family in Mathura. At the prompting of Mahatma
      Gandhi, a team of researchers was put together to examine her claims.
      According to reincarnation expert Dr. Ian Stevenson, Shanti Devi's
      past life memories matched the facts uncovered by the panel's investigation.
      http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/12-12g-04.asp
      *** Dr. Brian Weiss' new book "Same Soul, Many Bodies":
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743264339/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20
      *** Visit Dr. Weiss' website: http://www.brianweiss.com/

      The Journey of Generations
      DES MOINES, IOWA ----- (Des Moines Register)
      One of the most comforting things she shared was her near-death
      experience. She had been in a coma for many days. Suddenly,
      she opened her eyes and asked all of her kids to get together so
      she could say how much she loved them and to tell them goodbye.
      Then she went back into a coma. She saw a brilliant light, Grandpa
      Blomme and the Lord. They asked her if she were ready, and she
      said, "No." So Grandma came out of the coma and lived a few more
      years. As we talked, I knew the experience was helping her to accept
      her death with a little less fear and it was easing my acceptance
      of her leaving.
      http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041226/OPINION01/412260318/1035/OPINION

      A Taste of Heaven
      SYDNEY, AUSTRAILIA ----- (The Sydney Morning Herald)
      "People who have near-death experiences have caught a glimpse of
      heaven and not wanted to come back to earth," Manning says. "They
      talk of a blinding light, a sense of peace and the overwhelming desire
      to get back there." ... One of my most precious gifts was a picture from
      a child who knew they were going to die. This child drew a sun with
      big spikes for rays and underneath was written: 'Death is like being
      in the sunshine every day.'
      http://www.smh.com.au/news/Opinion/A-taste-of-heaven/2004/12/21/1103391735177.html?oneclick=true
      *** Note: You may have to register to read this article. It's free.

      Near-Death Experience Forces Partner to Rethink Her Lifestyle
      NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK ----- (New York Lawyer)
      Crain says she had just made it to the hospital, where she was being
      prepped for an angioplasty, when her heart stopped. She says a
      cardiology team used a defibrillator 17 times to revive her, but she
      was "down" for 33 minutes.
      http://www.nylawyer.com/news/04/12/122204j.html

      "Dying" Drunk Gets an Earful and Awakes From Coma
      NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK ----- (The New York Post)
      A man who drank himself into a coma and lay near death in a hospital
      bed suddenly woke up after hearing that his boss had commanded,
      "Get your ass back to work!" ... DiPasquale's friend Ralph Nash figured
      there was nothing to lose, and decided to deliver the message, whispering
      into his pal's ear, "Charlie says to get out of bed and get your ass back
      to work." Five minutes later, DiPasquale suddenly awoke and uttered,
      "I've got to get to work." And he began a quick recovery.
      http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/37253.htm

      Study Disputes the Randomness of Dreams
      DALLAS, TEXAS ----- (RedNova News)
      The finding that the brain compartmentalizes dreams into two separate
      sleep periods may also put to rest the theory that dreams are no more
      than a meaningless rehash of random images, according to the
      researchers... McNamara's next series of experiments will look at just that
      possibility, comparing sleepers' dream patterns with the socializing they
      conduct during the following day. If those experiments show a real correlation,
      he said, "it may mean that if you want to understand why people do the
      things they do in the day -- in terms of their social interactions -- one place
      to look is dreams."
      http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=112054

      Sleep Paralysis and Astral Projection
      MAKATI, PHILIPPINES ----- (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
      Almost everyone goes out of his body while asleep and travels. Most
      of the time however this happens without "awakening" in the astral world
      so we may not realize what has really happened when we wake up.
      That's when the trouble begins. We become frightened because we can't
      move. We try to return to our body but we cannot because, the more we
      struggle, the more there will be a misalignment in the vibrations between
      the astral and physical body. When a person feels like he is flying or
      being smashed, it is because his astral body is really flying while his
      physical body remains in bed. That's why doctors call this "hallucination."
      Actually it is not.
      http://news.inq7.net/lifestyle/index.php?index=2&story_id=21135

      Out of Body Experiences and Their Neural Basis
      LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ----- (British Medical Journal)
      In summary, the neurological evidence shows that out of body experiences
      are related to a disintegration within personal space (multisensory
      dysfunction) and a disintegration between personal space (vestibular) and
      extrapersonal space (visual) due to interference with the temporo-parietal
      junction. In science the most challenging phenomena are often the ones we
      take for granted in our everyday lives. Excellent examples are the perception
      of the self and the experienced spatial unity between self and body. As argued
      by others, both folk psychological notions are challenged by out of body
      experiences. The reviewed evidence from neurological patients experiencing this
      striking dissociation between self and body shows that out of body experiences
      are culturally invariant phenomena that can be investigated scientifically.
      http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1414

      Association for Psychedelic Studies, a non-profit group that plans to raise
      250,000 (-184,816) to fund it. MAPS, on its web site, touted the study's approval,
      saying "the longest day of winter has passed, and maybe so has the decades-long
      era of resistance to psychedelic research."
      http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3933999
      *** Read about actor Larry Hagman's NDEs triggered by LSD and liver failure:
      http://www.near-death.com/experiences/triggers04.html
      *** Visit the M.A.P.S. website: http://www.maps.org/

      Questions Arise Over Fate of Digital Information After Death
      NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK ----- (Associated Press)
      This week, a Michigan man publicized his struggle to access the Yahoo
      e-mail account belonging to his son, Marine Lance Cpl. Justin M. Ellsworth,
      20, who was killed Nov. 13 in Iraq. Though Yahoo's policies state that
      accounts "terminate upon your death," John Ellsworth said his son would
      have wanted to give him access ... To release those messages in such
      circumstances, Yahoo said, would violate the privacy rights of the deceased
      and those with whom they've corresponded ... The easiest approach,
      Internet scholars say, is simply to leave behind a password ... "When one
      family member tells another where the important paperwork is, the will,
      safe deposit box key, etc., the list of passwords is going to be added to that."
      http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2004/12/24/build/nation/55-digital-info.inc

      Ghosts In The Machine
      EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND ----- (The Scotsman)
      Thomas Edison, inventor of the phonograph, wrote: "If we can evolve
      an instrument so delicate as to be affected by our personality as it
      survives in the next life, such an instrument, when made available,
      ought to record something." Tom and Lisa Butler, co-directors of the
      AA-EVP, have no doubt these "messages" are more than stray
      electromagnetic radiation or random noise. "We have a high degree of
      confidence that the voices and other forms of these phenomena are
      not able to be explained using currently understood physical principles,"
      says Tom, an electronic engineer based in Reno, Nevada (his wife,
      Lisa, is a psychologist). "The one hypothesis that answers all of the
      evidence coming from EVP is the Survival Hypothesis - that is, that the
      personality of a person survives the death of the physical body."
      http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=4082005
      *** Read about the EVP movie "White Noise" opening January 7:
      http://www.whitenoisemovie.com/
      *** Visit the website for the American Association for EVP:
      http://aaevp.com/

      Remote Viewing Tibetan Monks See Extraterrestrial Powers
      Saving the World From Destroying Itself in 2012
      WHITEHOUSE STATION, NEW JERSEY --- (The India Daily)
      Remote viewing is nothing new in Tibetan monasteries. For thousands
      of years remote viewing in the middle of other spiritual activities have
      dominated Tibetan culture. What some Indian tourists came to learn
      from a few Tibetan monasteries under the current Chinese rule is
      extremely alarming and fascinating.
      http://216.132.172.70/indiadaily/editorial/12-26-04.asp

      Major Climate Change Occurred 5,200 Years Ago:
      History Could Repeat Itself
      COLUMBUS, OHIO ----- (Space Daily)
      Glaciologist Lonnie Thompson worries that he may have found clues that
      show history repeating itself, and if he is right, the result could have
      important implications to modern society. "The climate system is
      remarkably sensitive to natural variability," he said. "It's likely that it is
      equally sensitive to effects brought on by human activity, changes like increased
      greenhouse gases, altered land-use policies and fossil-fuel dependence. Any
      prudent person would agree that we don't yet understand the complexities with
      the climate system and, since we don't, we should be extremely cautious in
      how much we `tweak' the system," he said. "The evidence is clear that a major
      climate change is underway."
      http://www.spacedaily.com/news/iceage-04k.html

      Asteroid Has 1-in-60ish Chance of Earth Hit
      MCLEAN, VIRGINIA ----- (USA Today)
      An asteroid that has a small chance of hitting Earth in the year 2029
      was upgraded to an unprecedented level of risk Friday, Dec. 24.
      Scientists still stress, however, that odds are further observations will show
      the space rock won't be on a collision course with the planet. The risk rating
      for asteroid 2004 MN4 was raised Friday by NASA and a separate group of
      researchers in Italy. The asteroid's chance for hitting Earth on April 13, 2029
      has now been categorized as a 4 on the Torino Scale. The level 4 rating -- never
      before issued -- is reserved for "events meriting concern" versus the vast majority
      of potentially threatening asteroids that merely merit "careful monitoring."
      http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2004-12-25-meteor-potential-hit_x.htm

      The Gift of Life: Take Time to Sign Organ Donor Card
      SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA ----- (St. Paul Pioneer Press)
      The shopping is almost behind you, but have you crossed the ultimate
      last-minute gift off your list? Are you an organ donor? ... More than
      87,000 people are waiting for transplants, and 15 of them die every day,
      when they can't wait any longer. Though there were 6,000 deceased organ
      donors in 2000, there were another 9,000 who suffered brain death and could
      have donated organs and tissue but didn't ... "This is why we really encourage
      people to tell their families that they want to be organ donors, so they know
      their wishes will be honored," Larson says. "These conversations may be very
      hard, but they're very important. (Note: You may have to register to view this article.)
      http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/10480166.htm?1c
      *** Become an organ donor: http://www.organdonor.gov/
      *** Download a Living Will form: http://www.1stoplegal.com/forms/willsliving.htm
      *** Learn about your end-of-life choices: http://www.ltc-resources.com/Directives.html
      *** Download the Advance Directives: http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/forms.shtm
      *** Store your advanced directives online: http://www.uslivingwillregistry.com/
      *** Protect your right to die with dignity: http://www.endoflifechoices.org/index.jsp
      *** Visit this mega-resource website: http://elderresources.blogspot.com/

      Archive of NDEs in the News
      Read all the major news articles concerning the NDE and related
      phenomenon from 1995 to current. This is a permanent archive to ensure
      that these news articles will always be available on the internet.
      http://neardeath.home.comcast.net

      Free Email Alerts
      *** Sign up to receive free news email alerts from GOOGLE News
      concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://www.google.com/alerts?q=&hl=en

      *** Sign up to recieve free news email alerts from YAHOO News
      concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://alerts.yahoo.com/

      (2)....Q and A with Dr. P.M.H. Atwater
      ........An in-depth look at the near-death phenomenon

      In this section of the newsletter, PMH Atwater will answer a question
      submitted to her from subscribers to this newsletter. If you have a
      question that you would like her to answer for this column, just email
      your question to me at: webmaster@... for consideration.

      P.M.H. Atwater's latest books are entitled
      "The New Children and Near-Death Experiences"
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591430208/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      "We Live Forever: The Real Truth About Death"
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0876044925/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      SEPTEMBER 26 - OCTOBER 4, 2005:
      Take the Sacred Journey Cruise to the Caribbean with P.M.H. and
      Terry Atwater for a Seminar at Sea. Learn more here:
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater/special/cruise.html

      QUESTION: "I'm very interested in NDEs and have read your Q & As with
      great interest. I have a question that Kevin Williams was not able to answer:
      I've heard that it's possible souls leave bodies just before imminent death.
      I remember reading about the woman who witnessed the terrorist plane
      crash at the Pentagon on 9-11, and just one second before impact, she
      saw 'glowing orbs' exiting the top of the plane. I've read that the reason for
      this is not only to spare the pain, but that after a body is damaged, the actual
      soul will arrive in heaven malformed, and must be tended to (this is according
      to the book, "Destiny of Souls"). If this is true, my question regards the
      poor civilian in Iraq who had his head cut off with a knife, which took an
      agonizing one minute. Do you think the soul exited early, knowing that there
      was no chance for survival? And if it did, would the 'body' that's left continue
      screaming while the cutting is still going on? Or would all consciousness and
      bodily functions cease as soon as the spirit departs? These are difficult
      questions, I know, and we can't be certain. But I would appreciate any
      comments you might have." -- Fred.

      ANSWER by PMH ATWATER: "In esoteric traditions dating back several
      hundred years (written) and much further back in oral histories, it is said
      that the soul usually leaves the body before death occurs. We are also
      told that the way to tell if the soul is gone, is that the body will ..."
      [Read more at http://www.near-death.com/atwater/index.html ]

      P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D.
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater.html
      Marketplace (a public service):
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/rosen.html

      (3)....Books on the NDE

      *** The NDE Online Store includes NDE books, videos, movies,
      documentaries, magazines, and other media.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=62ed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      Galactica: A Treatise on Death, Dying and the Afterlife
      by Marilyn Hughes
      The author takes you on an out-of-body journey into the worlds of the
      galactic heavens -- the worlds beyond death. Traveling the road of
      terminal illness, you'll follow the footsteps of a soul preparing for death,
      learn from those who have already crossed over, and witness the after-death
      experience of a soul as she leaves this world. Opening the door to the ancestors,
      you will meet those who have gone before, hear their stories, be amazed at their
      watchful care over the current generation, and see how they live in the world beyond.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411615867/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Parapsychology In The Twenty-first Century: Essays On The Future
      Of Psychical Research
      by Michael Thalbourne and Lance Storm
      A collection of essays focusing on the future of the psychical research field.
      One essay speculates about a future where psychic phenomena are studied
      in every university. Another essay identifies 10 areas of potential difficulties
      facing parapsychology. Other essays deal with areas where conclusions
      may need re-examination and refinement while presenting possibilities for
      innovative approaches to the future study of parapsychology. Some of the areas
      of study covered include altered states of consciousness, telepathy, meta-analysis,
      the theory of psychopraxia, and sociological and phenomenological issues.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786419385/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Angel First Aid: Rx for Success
      by Sue Storm
      At 18 months of age, Sue Storm had her first encounter with angels.
      A near-death experience allowed her to learn firsthand that the angels
      are always with us. Since that time, she has been able to hear, see,
      and feel the presence of angels. In 1985, she was given a divine
      directive to "help people." Following the divine plan, the angels have
      kept Sue very busy doing interviews, lectures, seminars, writing and
      counseling. After answering thousands of questions, Sue realized that
      people need a simple way to help themselves collaborate with the
      angels to make their lives easier and more enjoyable. From this,
      "Angel First Aid was born."
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967529115/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20
      *** Visit the Angel Lady's website:
      http://www.theangellady.net/contact.html

      Consciousness: An Introduction
      by Susan Blackmore
      The famous NDE skeptic brings together all the major theories of consciousness
      studies -- from those rooted in traditional Western philosophy to those coming
      out of neuroscience, quantum theory, and Eastern philosophy. This book
      is divided into 9 sections that examine such topics as how subjective experiences
      arise from objective brain processes, the basic neuroscience and neuropathology
      of consciousness, altered states of consciousness, mystical experiences and
      dreams, and the effects of drugs and meditation. It also discusses the nature of
      self, the possibility of artificial consciousness in robots, and the question of whether
      or not animals are conscious. Enhanced by numerous illustrations and profiles of
      important researchers, the book also includes self-assessment questions, further
      reading suggestions, and practical exercises that help bring the subject to life.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/019515343X/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      Universe on a T-Shirt: The Quest for the Theory of Everything
      by Dan Falk
      This book contains essentially no math and is perfect for anyone who wants
      a concise, easy-to-read guide to one of the great quests of human civilization:
      the search for the ultimate laws of physics. Beginning with the speculations
      of the Greek philosophers, the author takes you through relativity, quantum
      mechanics and the latest developments in string theory. The book is well
      illustrated with photos and diagrams and begins with the quote: "My ambition
      is to live to see all of physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it
      will fit easily on the front of a T-shirt." This is the "holy grail" of contemporary
      physics and it is called the "Theory of Everything".
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/155970733X/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      (4)....IANDS in the Spotlight

      IANDS is the premier research organization in the field of near-death
      studies. If you haven't yet joined this wonderful organization, I encourage
      you to join online at their membership page. There are many benefits for
      being a member. Their quarterly newsletter Vital Signs is alone worth
      becoming a member.

      Home page: http://www.iands.org
      Join IANDS: http://www.iands.org/joincard.html

      SEPTEMBER 8 - 10, 2005 - IANDS Annual Conference
      Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
      Check out the IANDS Conference information page.
      http://www.iands.org/conf.html

      *** If you know of any new NDE website or web article you would like
      to see profiled, email to me the address of the website at:
      webmaster@...

      This newsletter is currently hosted by Yahoo Groups. You can visit the
      home page for this newsletter at Yahoo Groups for more information
      about this free newsletter service:

      Please feel free to share this newsletter with others.
      Search for past issues of this newsletter:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters.html

      Copyright (c) 2004 Near-Death Experiences & the Afterlife