Near-Death Newsletter......................December 1, 2004

  • Kevin Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of existence is to kindle
      a light in the darkness of being." - Carl Jung, M.D.

      ===================================================================================================Near-Death Newsletter.........................................December 1, 2004
      www.near-death.com....................................Vol. 03, No. 12, Ed. 01
      The Near-Death Newsletter is a free semi-monthly newsletter which is
      emailed to subscribers every 1st of the month and every 15th of the
      month. The mission of this newsletter is to inform, enlighten, entertain,
      and aid the public in understanding the latest in all things concerning
      the NDE and related phenomena by promoting the International
      Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS), NDE researchers,
      experiencers, multimedia resources, and events.

      Disclaimer: This newsletter is not affiliated with IANDS; but is dedicated
      to the IANDS mission.

      Visit IANDS website at http://www.iands.org and join the premier
      organization for NDE research.

      Visit the NDE Online Store to find NDE multimedia products such as
      NDE books, documentaries, movies, music, magazines, & journals.

      To SUBSCRIBE to the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank message to:

      ===================================================================================================The Online Version of the Near-Death Newsletter
      The online version of this newsletter can be found at this web page:

      For AOL and Compuserve users:

      ===================================================================================================Table of Contents
      (1) NDEs in the News
      (2) Q & A with Dr. PMH Atwater
      (3) Books on the NDE
      (4) IANDS in the Spotlight
      (5) Odds and Ends

      ===================================================================================================(1) NDEs in the News
      *** Near Death Experiences: What Happens When You Die?
      (Watch their two excellent streaming videos on NDEs right from this
      web page.)
      RENO, NEVADA ----- (KOLO News)
      Are these near death experiences a trick of the dying mind or is this
      evidence of life beyond? Over the next two nights, in a special series
      on "Near Death Experiences," we leave that for you to decide. Click on
      the red camera to watch Terri Hendry's thought-provoking reports.

      *** Man Deemed Dead on Arrival; It Wasn't His Time
      YORK, PENNSYLVANIA ----- (York Daily Record)
      He remembers floating near the ceiling, looking down. "I seen them
      working on me, trying to resuscitate me," he said. "There was a bright
      light, I started floating toward it, but then a voice from the bright light
      said your time ain't up, you have a family that needs you." His next
      memory is waking up in the hospital's intensive care unit 10 days later.
      "I am not a religious person — I have to see it for myself," said Ray
      George. But after what he went through, "That tells me there's got to be
      a God that watches over you."

      *** Brush With Death
      TEMECULA, CALIFORNIA ----- (The Press Enterprise)
      During his near-death experience, Andy Lakey said, he went on a
      "cosmic trip" where he was visited by angelic beings and encountered
      the "secrets of the universe." It was at that moment that he knew he had
      to give up drugs and devote his life to a greater purpose, he said. In the
      days and weeks that followed, Lakey started scribbling sketches of what
      he saw during his overdose. He began turning the sketches into
      paintings ... From that point, nearly overnight, Lakey's angel paintings
      caught on with the public. An almost cultlike following developed, and
      some believed Lakey's angel paintings had a spiritual healing power.

      Note: You may have to take a few seconds to subscribe to view this article. It's free.

      Also: Visit Andy Lakey's website and see his NDE art:

      *** Woman Encounters Her Dead Relatives While in Coma
      MOSCOW, RUSSIA ----- (Pravda)
      "This is the rarest medical case, when a patient managed to regain
      her conscious after being in a coma for so long without slightest hints
      of physical abnormality," states head doctor of the ER and anesthesiology
      department Alexander Kornogolub. As for Natalia herself, the woman
      considers that doctors" professionalism along with her husband"s love
      are the main things responsible for her comeback.

      *** An Obituary: John Bowers
      LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ----- (Telegraph News)
      In 1942, he was seconded to the Sudan Artillery Regiment based at
      Kufra oasis and, just before Alamein, took part in a commando raid
      on a German airfield far behind enemy lines. As he returned from the
      operation, Bowers had an "out-of-body" experience, in which he saw
      himself being badly wounded in the back by a bomb that also killed
      his Sudanese gunner lying beside him; it gave him a lifelong interest
      in mysticism.

      *** UA Lab Hopes to Help With Sleepless Nights
      TUCSON, ARIZONA ----- (Arizona Daily Wildcat)
      Britton said it was fairly easy to find participants for her research
      on the near-death experiences study. "There is a near-death experience
      support group where I was able to find candidates," Britton said. "This
      is a religious experience for people and I was looking to find unusual
      waves in the temporal lobe." Britton was able to conclude through her
      research that there were unusual brain waves in participants with
      near-death experiences.

      *** Oregon Boy Survives Lighting Strike, Credits "Guardian Angel"
      Christian had been hit by a bolt of lightning, his body almost blown
      apart. Richard and another man began CPR, but it wasn't working.
      Christian wasn't getting air ... But he says on the day lightning hit
      him, in a way he was reborn. There is no doubt in his mind, he knows
      who was kneeling over him that day, "My guardian angel. It's like my
      dad said, without her I might not be here today. So I think, I thank
      her for being there. And I know that it's a few years late, but I think
      that she was there for a reason ..."

      *** Elizabeth Taylor Suffering Heart Failure, But Unafraid to Die
      LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA ----- (Channel NewsAsia)
      Taylor recounted how she felt her spirit leaving her body when she was
      near death in London 43 years ago, and saw her third husband, film
      producer Mike Todd, who was killed in a 1958 plane crash. "It's hard
      to talk about. I was in a tunnel. I saw Mike. He said, 'It's not your
      time.' I did fight, and I did come back. And I remember it all. It was quite
      a trip," Taylor told W magazine.

      Note: Read more about Liz Taylor's NDE at the NDEs of the Rich & Famous:

      *** Defibrillators Becoming Part of Churches' Resources
      LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY ----- (Lexington Herald-Leader)
      Two years ago, Southland Christian Church had a near-death
      experience: A worshiper collapsed from a heart attack in the
      middle of services ... The incident got the church thinking more
      about safety, and earlier this year it received a donation of six
      automated external defibrillators, or AEDs ... AEDs are
      computerized devices that check heart rhythm to determine
      whether someone is experiencing cardiac arrest and, if necessary,
      can shock the heart back into action.

      *** Back From Near Death
      SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA ----- (The Edmunton Sun)
      As he fought for his life in an Edmonton hospital after drinking gas
      line antifreeze, Darcy Gauthier says he got a message from two of
      his brothers in a dream. "You're the baby, get out of here," Darcy's
      brothers told him in the dream, he said yesterday. "Mom needs you."
      "I like it. I want to come," Darcy said to his brothers in the dream, he
      said yesterday. " 'No, no,' they said, and they pushed me in the face."

      *** Psychologist Seeks Scientific Answers to Theoretical,
      Philosophical Questions About Soul
      CYBERSPACE ----- (PhysOrg.com)
      His dissertation, published in a 2002 issue of the "Journal of Cognition
      and Culture," showed how hard it is for people to escape some type of
      belief in an afterlife. In his research, Bering asked people questions
      about a man who had been killed in an automobile accident: Can he
      experience lust? Can he smell? Does he know he's dead? Bering found
      that even professed atheists, after answering "no" to other questions
      about the dead man's abilities, would say that "of course" the man knows
      he is dead. "It comes into conflict," Bering said. "We try to put ourselves
      into the shoes of the people who are dead, and make attributions to
      them ... We really can't conceive of what it's like to not be here, to not
      exist, to not know whether we exist or not."

      Note: The late great psychologist and near-death experiencer, Carl Jung,
      once said this: "The unconscious psyche believes in life after death." He
      based this statement partly upon his observation of humanity's acceptance
      of immortality during the dream state. Read Jung's NDE testimony here:

      *** Are You a Believer? Video Might Make You Wonder
      PORTLAND, OREGON ----- (KATU News)
      Gilliland says his window into another world opened 27 years ago when
      he nearly drowned, a near-death experience that he says allows him to
      receive extraterrestrial telepathic messages. Throughout the years, he
      has drawn countless people to his retreat who are hoping to make alien
      contact, but around the town of Trout Lake, Gilliland is known as 'Cosmic Jim.'

      *** Broader Definition of Death Debated to Boost Organ Donors
      QUEBEC CITY, CANADA ----- (CBC News)
      Under the recommendations of Quebec's science and technology ethics
      committee, people whose hearts have stopped beating would also be
      considered to be legally dead, and therefore eligible to donate organs.
      The change means some people who cannot survive without artificial
      support could be organ donors, said François Pothier, chair of the ethics
      committee ... The new criteria could create serious ethical dilemmas for
      hospital staff, who may have to choose between resuscitating accident
      victims or considering them to be organ donors. Some hospitals in the
      United States have already expanded the definition, said Pothier.

      *** Dolphins Save Swimmers From Shark
      WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND ----- (Reuters)
      A pod of dolphins circled protectively round a group of New Zealand
      swimmers to fend off an attack by a great white shark ... "They started
      to herd us up, they pushed all four of us together by doing tight circles
      around us ..." Howes tried to drift away from the group, but two of the
      bigger dolphins herded him back just as he spotted a 9-foot great
      white shark swimming towards the group. "They could have sensed the
      danger to the swimmers and taken action to protect them," Orca's Ingrid
      Visser told NZPA.

      *** British Man Wins Fight to Help Wife Die
      LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM ----- (Reuters)
      England's tough laws against assisting suicide have been thrown
      into confusion after the husband of a critically-ill woman has won
      a legal fight to take his wife to Switzerland to end her life ... Belgium,
      the Netherlands and Switzerland have each passed various laws
      allowing assisted euthanasia, but Britons risk up to 14 years in jail
      for helping a patient die, a penalty that is among the harshest in Europe.

      *** Florida Governor Asks Court to Hear Right-to-Die Case
      TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA ----- (Reuters)
      Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Wednesday asked the U.S. Supreme Court
      to uphold his authority to stop a Tampa man from removing the feeding tube
      that has kept his brain-damaged wife alive for nearly 15 years ... Schiavo,
      now 40, has been kept alive via a feeding tube since suffering a heart
      attack in 1990. Doctors said her brain was damaged so badly that she would
      never regain consciousness.

      Some Political Rhetoric: Does the government have the right to keep you
      artificially alive for decades against your wishes? Jeb Bush says "Yes."
      What do you think? Is the government playing God here? When will the
      government permit Terri to finally see the light and go home to God? Read
      all about the controversy on this web page:

      *** Time To Let Terri Go
      ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA ----- (St. Petersburg Times)
      Time and again for the past six years, state and federal courts have
      found that Schiavo is in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of
      recovery, and that Michael Schiavo, her husband, is representing her wishes
      in seeking to have her feeding tube removed. Yet, still there has been no
      resolution. A large part of the blame for this unjustifiable delay rests with
      Gov. Jeb Bush and former House Speaker Johnnie Byrd. Days after Terri
      Schiavo's feeding tube was removed in October 2003, a frenzied
      Legislature, browbeaten by Byrd and extreme right-wing elements, passed
      "Terri's Law," giving the governor the discretion to reinsert the tube. It was an
      exertion of raw power, injecting the government into a family matter and
      disregarding a series of uniform court determinations ... At that point,
      Michael Schiavo should have easily obtained a court order allowing him to
      direct the removal of his wife's feeding tube. But that has not happened. Bush
      and Terri's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, are continuing to press the courts
      for more delays, and the courts seem to be acceding to their tactics ... It is
      past time for the courts to end this family's tragedy and allow Terri Schiavo
      the peaceful end her husband believes she would have wanted.

      *** Paradise Valley Author Will Discuss Jesus, Near-Death Books
      MESA, ARIZONA ----- (The Arizona Republic)
      If you're curious about what will happen to you when you die, author
      Paul Perry ... will be speaking to the public this weekend. Perry
      primarily will discuss his newest book, Jesus in Egypt: Discovering the
      Secrets of Christ's Childhood Years. But since he co-wrote hugely popular
      books like Closer to the Light and Transformed by the Light, that detailed
      hundreds of near-death experiences (and sold about 3 million copies),
      readers will hear from him about those books, too.

      Note: Read about "Jesus in Egypt: Discovering the Secrets of Christ's Childhood":

      *** Dan Rather Talks to Ghost
      WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA --- (NewsMax)
      "Ed Murrow's ghost is here," Rather told the Hollywood Reporter. "I've
      seen him and talked to him on the third floor of this building many
      times late at night. And I can tell you that he's watching over us."
      Rather says he chats with the ghost of the legendary CBS newsman
      but neglected to report what the two talk about.

      *** NDE Prophecy Watch: Economic "Armageddon" predicted
      BOSTON, MASSACHUTTES ---- (Boston Herald)
      Stephen Roach, the chief economist at investment banking giant Morgan
      Stanley, has a public reputation for being bearish. But you should hear what
      he's saying in private. Roach met select groups of fund managers downtown
      last week, including a group at Fidelity. His prediction: America has no better
      than a 10 percent chance of avoiding economic "armageddon" ... Roach's
      analysis isn't entirely new. But recent events give it extra force.

      Note: Read the numerous NDE prophecies of a coming U.S. economic collapse:

      *** Nun Prepares Mind, Soul For Heaven's Gate
      LINCOLN, NEBRASKA ----- (Lincoln Journal Star)
      She was taking classes to become a nurse when her friend went into
      hospice. During a week-long break she cared for Sister Michelle
      full time ... She's going to a place she knows through prayer, she
      says. A place filled with what every one is searching for: Love.
      "I think that's what most people are suffering from -- lack of love. I think
      when we die we are going to meet love. "True love," says Sister
      Michelle, "for the very first time."

      *** Archive of NDEs in the News
      Read all the major news articles concerning the NDE and related
      phenomenon from 1995 to current. This is a permanent archive to ensure
      that these news articles will always be available on the internet.

      *** Sign up to receive free news email alerts from GOOGLE News
      concerning the "near-death experience."

      *** Sign up to recieve free news email alerts from YAHOO News
      concerning the "near-death experience."

      ===================================================================================================(2) Q and A with Dr. P.M.H. Atwater
      An in-depth look at the near-death phenomenon
      In this section of the newsletter, PMH Atwater will answer a question
      submitted to her from subscribers to this newsletter. If you have a
      question that you would like her to answer for this column, just email
      your question to me at: webmaster@... for consideration.

      P.M.H. Atwater's latest books are entitled
      "The New Children and Near-Death Experiences"

      "We Live Forever: The Real Truth About Death"

      QUESTION: "Two years ago a very good friend of mine was very sick
      (dying). This sickness all came about very quickly. She had sepsis, as
      well as lupus. We were all called into the hospital because time was
      getting close. My friend had been taken from her room to the Emergency
      Room to be monitered. There were no beds in CCU at the time. Her
      sister was coming in from New York and had asked me to pick her up
      at the airport. Before leaving the hospital, we were all allowed in the
      room for a few minutes. I knew she would not make it for her sister to
      get there. The doctors were working on her to try and stablize her BP.
      We were sent out of the room. Standing in the hallway, I could feel this
      energy. I knew she was gone. On the way out of ER, sitting there was
      a woman who could have been a twin. I asked my son over and showed
      him. On the way to the airport, Adam (my son) told me he felt this energy
      while standing in the hallway outside of Althea's room. He felt like the
      woman sitting in the Waiting Room was there to take Althea home.
      I did not tell the sister any of this on the ride back to the hospital. The
      lady in the Waiting Room was gone and Althea was on life support. We all
      knew she was gone. The next morning I got a call from the sister asking
      me to take her back to the hospital, that Althea had just passed on.
      You know how it is, if there is no response from the respirator, it
      will shut down by its self. This is what happened with Althea. Do you feel
      like it really could have been an angel sent here to get her? Allison, the
      sister, told me she felt this strange feeling during the flight to Richmond,
      and found Althea on the respirator. I told her what I had seen and said it
      sure sounded like her sister had passed on." -- Patricia K.

      ANSWER by PMH ATWATER: "We can all surmise that indeed the
      woman in the Waiting Room, who was a twin in appearance to Althea,
      was sent there to help Althea die. Please know there is no way anyone
      can be certain of that or prove it in any way. I would, however, like to
      share what I have found to be true not only in my research of near-death
      states and transformative states, but in my personal life as well ..."
      [Read more at http://www.near-death.com/atwater/index.html ]

      P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D.
      Marketplace (a public service):

      ===================================================================================================(3) Books on the NDE
      *** The NDE Online Store includes NDE books, videos, movies,
      documentaries, magazines, and other media.

      *** Walk of Faith: Three Near-death Experiences and a Journey
      from the Brink of Hell to Heaven -- by Chiemi Lynn Haman
      This book was published last year but escaped my notice.
      one person's journey to find God, with God's help, through a
      series of three NDEs and miracles. These miracles are followed
      by a supernatural battle leading to appearances of Jesus.

      *** Led By The Hand Of Christ: A Woman's Journey To
      Paradise and Back -- by Suzanne Freeman, Shirley Bahlmann
      took my hand." Thus begins one of the most detailed journeys to
      the spirit world ever recorded. When Suzanne Freeman found
      herself floating against the ceiling of a hospital operating room
      in 1999, she knew in an instant that she had died ... As Suzanne
      turned back toward her body to enter it again, she was stopped
      abruptly. She turned to see a hand wrapped around her arm - a
      hand with a puncture wound - the hand of Jesus Christ. The Savior
      took her by the hand and led her to Paradise, where she was greeted
      by family, friends and many others, who emphasized simple yet
      valuable eternal truths.

      *** Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions,
      and the Future of the Cosmos -- by Michio Kaku
      The leading candidate for Einstein's fabled "theory of everything,"
      M-theory depicts our universe as a "bubble" floating in an expansive
      eleven-dimensional "multiverse." Leading physicists now envision our
      universe as one of countless "bubble universes" only millimeters away
      from each other. In this new picture, Big Bangs create new universes all
      the time and, if these parallel universes are as close as physicists
      believe, our universe could eventually collide with one of them -- with
      cosmic consequences.

      *** Travels in Four Dimensions: The Enigmas of Space and Time
      by Robin Le Poidevin
      Space and time are the most fundamental features of our experience,
      and yet they are also the most puzzling. Did time have a beginning? Is
      there space beyond the universe? Would time go on if everything else
      stopped? Could space exist with nothing in it? Might time travel be
      possible? Are there parallel worlds? Could time go backwards? Is there
      a fourth dimension of space? Are space and time just the constructions
      of our minds? Robin Le Poidevin provides a clear, witty, and stimulating
      guide through these and many other puzzles and paradoxes.

      *** Mind, Matter and Quantum Mechanics
      by Henry P. P. Stapp
      Stapp is a leading quantum physicist who has given particularly careful
      thought to the implications of the theory that lies at the heart of modern
      physics. In this book, which contains several of his key papers as well as
      new material, he focuses on the problem of consciousness and explains
      how quantum mechanics allows causally effective conscious thought to
      be combined in a natural way with the physical brain made of neurons and
      atoms. The implications of the theory bring some of the most profound
      questions that mankind has contemplated: How should humans view
      themselves in a quantum universe? What will be the impact on society of
      the revised scientific image of the nature of man? The author addresses
      recent debates about consciousness.

      *** Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
      by Ervin Laszlo
      Mystics and sages have long maintained that there exists an
      interconnecting cosmic field at the roots of reality that conserves and
      conveys information, a field known as the "Akashic record." Recent
      discoveries in vacuum physics show that this Akashic field is real and
      has its equivalent in science's zero-point field that underlies space itself.
      The author conveys the essential element of this information field in language
      that is accessible and clear. From the world of science he confirms our
      deepest intuitions of the oneness of creation in the integral Theory of Everything.

      *** Same Soul, Many Bodies: Discover the Healing Power of Future Lives
      through Progression Therapy -- by Brian L. Weiss
      Brian Weiss, M.D., is most famous for his fascinating account of the
      past lives of one of his patients, Catherine, recorded in Many Lives, Many
      Masters. For years, Weiss focused only on leading his patients into the past,
      yet some of them experienced spontaneous pre-cognitive moments -- knowing
      what will happen before it actually occurs -- a phenomenon which NDE
      researchers have also written about. Then for awhile, and only on rare occasions,
      he pro-gressed his patients forward but only in their own lifetimes. At some
      point, Dr. Weiss had a stunning insight when he came to realize that past,
      present, and future are one, and what happens in the future can affect the
      present, just as the past also influences it. The book's basic concept is that
      the future is flexible, and that we will be present in that future, learning
      life's lessons.

      *** The Afterlife Connection : A Therapist Reveals How to Communicate
      with Departed Loved Ones -- by Jane Greer
      Dr. Jane Greer, a classically trained therapist, began with the belief
      that the bond that exists between the living and the dead is not
      purely a psychological one, but is, in fact, much more dynamic and
      empowering. In the shattering aftermath of her own mother's death,
      Dr. Greer learned - and shows us as well - that transcommunication
      is not simply a "hello from heaven" but a powerful therapeutic tool
      that is available to any of us. Through this communication, the pain
      of grieving can be made more bearable, ambivalent relationships can
      be healed, and a loved one's messages can bring relief and joy.

      ===================================================================================================(4) IANDS in the Spotlight
      IANDS is the premier research organization in the field of near-death
      studies. If you haven't yet joined this wonderful organization, I encourage
      you to join online at their membership page. There are many benefits for
      being a member. Their quarterly newsletter Vital Signs is alone worth
      becoming a member.

      Home page: http://www.iands.org
      Join IANDS: http://www.iands.org/joincard.html

      SEPTEMBER 8 - 10, 2005 - IANDS Annual Conference
      Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
      Check out the IANDS Conference information page.

      *** If you know of any new NDE website or web article you would like
      to see profiled, email to me the address of the website at:

      This newsletter is currently hosted by Yahoo Groups. You can visit the
      home page for this newsletter at Yahoo Groups for more information
      about this free newsletter service:

      Please feel free to share this newsletter with others.
      Search for past issues of this newsletter: