Near-Death Newsletter -- November 1, 2004

  • neardeathexperiencewebmaster
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      "The unconscious psyche believes in life after death" - Carl Jung MD

      15th of the month. The mission of this newsletter is to inform,
      enlighten, entertain, and aid the public in understanding the
      latest in all things concerning the NDE and related phenomena
      by promoting the International Association for Near-Death
      Studies (IANDS), NDE researchers, experiencers, multimedia
      resources, and events.

      [Disclaimer: This newsletter is not affiliated with IANDS; but is
      dedicated to the IANDS mission.]

      Visit IANDS website at http://www.iands.org and join the
      premier organization for NDE research.

      Visit the NDE Online Store to find NDE multimedia products such
      as NDE books, documentaries, movies, music, magazines, & journals.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=62ed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      To SUBSCRIBE to the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank
      message to: neardeathnewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from the Near-Death Newsletter, email a blank
      message to: neardeathnewsletter-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Online Version of the Near-Death Newsletter

      The online version of this newsletter can be found at this web page:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters/2004/1101.html

      For AOL and Compuserve users:
      here.</a>

      Table of Contents

      (1) NDEs in the news
      (2) Events, Conferences, Workshops
      (3) Q & A with Dr. PMH Atwater
      (4) Books on the NDE
      (5) Websites on the NDE
      (6) Support the search for the afterlife
      (7) Odds and ends

      (1) NDEs in the news

      *** Clinton Tells of Death Visions During Operation
      LONDON, UK -- (Scotsman)
      He told of the dreamy images he saw while surgeons
      stopped his heart for 73 minutes to bypass arteries
      which were 90% clogged. "I saw dark masks crushing,
      like death masks being crushed, in series," he told the
      ABC News PrimeTime Live programme, being shown
      tonight. "Then I'd see these great circles of light. And
      then, like, Hillary's picture or (daughter) Chelsea's face
      would appear on the light, and then they'd fly off into the
      dark, into the distance. And other people that I knew
      and cared about. It was amazing."
      http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3685687

      *** Stroke Survivor Uses Near-Death Experience as Fuel
      For Charity Work With Abandoned Children
      San Marcos, TX -- (San Marcos Daily)
      Donna Desoto is on a personal mission, one she's been
      on for almost 15 years now. That's to save abandoned
      babies that are found behind buildings, in trash bins or
      even in a VCR box, but also to raise awareness and help
      young expectant mothers.
      http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/articles/2004/10/28/news/news5.txt
      Visit Donna Desoto's website: https://blossom.safe-order.net/savbaby/

      *** Arizona Artist Died Three Times But Was Never Sick
      CAMP VERDE, AZ -- (PRWeb)
      "It was as if I had to push myself back into my body, like pushing
      toothpaste back in to the tube." He says of those frightening
      moments. "My meditations were filled with tunnels of light, radiant
      beings and indescribable places and feelings. I became aware
      at some point that I had to get back to feed my beloved dogs,
      who would have starved or frozen to death without me."
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/10/prweb165039.php

      *** Dreams - What Are They Trying To Tell Us?
      SAINT PAUL, MN -- (Llewellyn Journal)
      Dreaming is one of the best ways for the subconscious mind
      to get your attention. Many people get psychic impressions
      from their dreams. Others may only dream when being forewarned
      about a situation. Some people think they never dream. They do,
      but probably can't remember. In some dreams, our friends and
      family members may make an appearance. Even loved ones who
      have passed on can show up from time to time to say hello.
      http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article/706

      *** "Parting the Veil: A Novel of Life After Death," by Jay Davis
      WICHITA, KS -- (The Wichita Eagle)
      "Parting the Veil" is a gripping page-turner of a novel. The main
      character, John Creed, is killed in a traffic accident. After being
      dead for several minutes, he comes back to life. The rest of the
      book centers on his coming to terms with his near-death
      experience and the gift he has been given. John has the ability
      to "know" people. He "sees" their fears and failings. Then he
      leads them to peace and serenity. The climax of the story is John's
      heroic effort to save a family from their murderous father and husband.
      http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/living/religion/9990808.htm
      Read more about "Parting the Veil":
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765309505/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      *** Election Special Article
      *** A New Study Suggests a Relationship Between
      Fear of Death and Political Preferences
      TUCSON, AZ -- (American Psychological Society)
      Following a reminder of death, there was almost an 800 percent
      increase in votes for the charismatic leader, but no increase for
      the two other candidates. "At a theoretical level," the authors
      wrote, "this study adds to the large body of empirical evidence
      attesting to the pervasive influence of reminders of death on a
      wide range of human activities. These findings fit particularly
      well with prior studies showing how mortality salience leads
      people toward individuals, groups, and actions that can help
      enhance their self-esteem. People want to identify with special,
      great things, and charismatic leaders typically offer the promise
      of just that."
      http://www.psychologicalscience.org/media/releases/2004/pr041025.cfm

      *** Archive of NDEs in the News
      Read all the major news articles concerning the NDE and related
      phenomenon from 1995 to current. This is a permanent archive to ensure
      that these news articles will always be available on the internet.
      http://neardeath.home.comcast.net

      *** Sign up to receive free news email alerts from
      GOOGLE News concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://www.google.com/alerts?q=&hl=en

      *** Sign up to recieve free news email alerts from
      YAHOO News concerning the "near-death experience."
      http://alerts.yahoo.com/

      (2) Events, Conferences, Workshops

      *** NOV. 7, 2004 - 9:00-11:00 pm (Eastern)
      Jan Holden Interview on WPARanormal Talk Radio
      Jan Holden, Ed.D., President of the IANDS will be
      interviewed about the association and about research
      on the paranormal aspects of NDEs. This will be a
      two-part series on NDEs.
      http://www.wparanormal.com/

      How To Hear The Show:
      STEP 1: Download and install the free WinAmp software
      (if you don't have it already) to hear the show on the internet.
      http://www.winamp.com/player/free.php

      STEP 2:
      On Nov. 7, 9:00 pm (Eastern), visit the website located at
      http://usa.rolo.net:8004/listen.pls to hear the show on WinAmp
      - OR - Visit the WPARanormal Talk Radio website at
      http://www.wparanormal.com/, then click on the link
      "Listen (When Live)" or on the link "Archives," to hear the
      show on WinAmp.

      *** NOV. 14, 2004 - 9:00-11:00 pm (Eastern)
      Jeff Long Interview on WPARanormal Talk Radio
      Jeff Long, M.D. from http://www.nderf.org will discuss
      his research findings associated with his NDE website.
      http://www.wparanormal.com/
      How To Hear The Show:
      (See instructions previously described)

      *** Visit the NDE Conferences page for more upcoming events
      http://www.near-death.com/conferences.html

      (3) Q and A with Dr. P.M.H. Atwater
      An in-depth look at the near-death phenomenon

      In this section of the newsletter, PMH Atwater will answer a
      question submitted to her from subscribers to this newsletter. If
      you have a question that you would like her to answer for this
      column, just email your question to me at:
      webmaster@... for consideration.

      P.M.H. Atwater's latest book is entitled
      "The New Children and Near-Death Experiences"
      and you can purchase a copy online at this Amazon web page:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591430208/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      In the Summer of 2004, her book entitled
      "We Live Forever: The Real Truth About Death"
      is scheduled for release. Reserve copies can be ordered at this
      Amazon web page:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0876044925/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      QUESTION: "I have a question that I hope you can answer.
      Recently, I choked on coffee in a restaurant and stopped
      breathing. All I recall is that I was looking down on 2 or 3 people
      walking towards me and 2 or 3 people walking towards the
      door. I could hear voices but didn't hear what they were saying.
      Then, I experienced a strange feeling. It wasn't like being
      sucked back into my body. It was like being 'sucked' back
      into consciousness. I then sat up and struggled for breath.
      I coughed twice which cleared my airway and then I was fine.
      My friend, who I was with, was standing at my side with her
      hand on my shoulder. She told me that when I stopped breathing,
      I collapsed on the table and against her as a dead weight,
      definitely no consciousness. She said that a couple had
      walked over to our table and talked to her while I was out,
      so it had to be more than a couple of seconds. Would that
      be an NDE, or simply an out-of-body experience? It took a
      few days before I realized the significance of what I had
      experienced. At the time, it just seemed like part of being
      unconscious. Now, I am really curious. If I did, in fact, die for
      a few seconds, it reaffirms my belief that I don't have to give
      in to death before I'm finished raising my son. That is
      something I've mentioned to you before. I am strongly determined
      to be here until he is grown. I have managed to keep going
      through stage four breast cancer several times when they
      thought I was going to die. The coolest thing about this experience
      I had is that, due to the tumor in my lung and how it has caused
      breathing problems from time to time, I have been terrified of
      being unable to breath. I thought it would be a torturous experience.
      Now I know that it won't be. I'm no longer afraid. Thanks for your
      time." -- Melissa

      ANSWER by PMH ATWATER: Out-of-body experiences
      are extremely common; in childhood, they occur daily, sometimes
      many times a day. We spend so much money as a country
      researching insignificant things, when we could and should spend
      that money for out-of-body research. We've also researched things
      like coughing, scratching, humming, sneezing, the sounds we hear
      and where we hear them, but not a penny goes to one of the
      greatest phenomena of them all - the clear and coherent perception
      of being able to leave one's body and then return to it. We
      acknowledge the mystical, spiritual, psychic aspects of this trait -
      never once admitting ... [Read more from the link provided below]
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater/index.html

      P. M. H. Atwater, L.H.D.
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/
      http://www.near-death.com/atwater.html
      Marketplace (a public service):
      http://www.cinemind.com/atwater/rosen.html

      (4) Books on the NDE

      *** The NDE Online Store includes NDE books, videos, movies,
      documentaries, magazines, and other media.
      http://associatesshop.filzhut.de/shop/index.php?ID=62ed2010a2e86954f2f1f2020e1056af

      *** Trailing Clouds of Glory
      by Harold A. Widdison, PH.D.
      This book is the result of seven years of interviewing, researching
      and collecting of first person accounts of NDEs. Dr. Widdison
      became interested in the subject of death, grief, and bereavement
      two months before his marriage when his father suddenly died in a
      car a accident. He later created and taught one of the first courses
      on these subjects in a university setting. He also had several family
      members share their experiences with him— one uncle had a NDE
      on the operating table and an adopted daughter had a visit from her
      dead grandfather.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0882907727/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      *** Mastering Astral Projection
      by Robert Bruce, Brian Mercer, Joanna Willis
      Mastering Astral Projection is a hands-on, step-by-step manual
      for learning how to have an out-of-body experience (OBE). It
      provides a systematic approach for astral projecting out of your
      body in a fully awake state. The exercises in the program are
      largely based on the New Energy Ways (NEW) system of raising
      and simulating personal energy. This method uses body-awareness
      movements for conscious and direct manipulation of one's energy
      body. The NEW system is easy to understand and learn. Anyone
      can do it.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0738704679/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      *** Out-Of-Body Exploring: A Beginner's Approach
      by Preston Dennett
      Dennett began his own out-of-body exploring decades ago
      in a quest to contact his deceased mother. He shares the
      techniques he used to go out-of-body, as well as the tricks
      that helped him maintain that state for longer periods of time,
      gaining more clarity and confidence all the while. Dennett is
      the author of five previous books including California Ghosts,
      Extraterrestrial Visitations and UFO's over Topanga Canyon.
      This book is a perfect primer for anyone wanting to try astral
      projection. It takes a step-by-step approach to the techniques
      for mastering out-of-body experiences and includes the
      author's tricks which help him maintain this fragile state of
      consciousness.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1571744096/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      *** Book of Angels: Reflections on Angels Past and Present,
      and True Stories of How They Touch Our Lives
      by Sophy Burnham
      A Book of Angels tells not only the extraordinary true stories of
      present-day encounters with angels, but also traces the
      understanding and study of angels through history and in
      different cultures. Discover what angels look like, whom they
      chose to visit, how they enter our lives, and so much more.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345476964/ref=nosim/neardeathexpe-20

      (5) Websites on the NDE

      IANDS is the premier research organization in the field of
      near-death studies. If you haven't yet joined this wonderful
      organization, I encourage you to join online at their membership
      page. There are many benefits for being a member. Their quarterly
      newsletter Vital Signs is alone worth becoming a member.

      Home page: http://www.iands.org
      Join IANDS: https://www.iands.org/joincard.html

      SEPTEMBER 8 - 10, 2005 - IANDS Annual Conference
      A.R.E. Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
      Check out the IANDS Conference information page.
      http://www.iands.org/conf.html

      *** If you know of any new NDE website or web article you would
      like to see profiled, email to me the address of the website at:
      webmaster@...

      (6) Support the search for the afterlife

      *** How can your usual online shopping raise funds for near-death
      research without any extra cost to you? By joining the free charity
      website called iGive.com. Then whenever you shop online and
      make a purchase at eBay, Barnes & Noble, Land's End, Florist.com,
      Amazon.com or over 500 other participating websites, iGive.com has
      arranged to automatically direct up to 27% of the purchase price
      near-death research (IANDS) as a contribution. Become a part of
      the family of people who are working to bring proof of life after death
      to this world! Just click on the link for more info.
      http://www.near-death.com/iands_charity.html

      This newsletter is currently hosted by Yahoo Groups.
      You can visit the home page for this newsletter at Yahoo Groups
      for more information about this free newsletter service:

      Please feel free to share this newsletter with others.
      Search for past issues of this newsletter:
      http://www.near-death.com/newsletters.html

      Copyright (c) 2004 Near-Death Experiences & the Afterlife