Near-Death Newsletter, Vol 1, No. 7, July 01, 2002

  • Kevin Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002

      If you have something of interest to contribute to this newsletter
      pertaining to NDEs, just send it to: webmaster@...

      AOL and COMPUSERVE users:

      An online version of this newsletter can be found at this webpage:

      In this issue

      * NDEs in the news
      * The Forum
      * What's new
      * NDE spotlight
      * From the webmaster
      * Upcoming events
      * New NDE tv listings
      * New NDE books
      * New NDE web links
      * Odds and ends
      * Subscribe instructions

      NDEs in the News

      *** Seeking meaning beyond
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/afterlife020618.html

      *** Life changes cited after near-death experiences
      http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/3502994.htm

      *** Lawrence Kasdan discusses his movie 'Dreamcatcher'
      http://www.zap2it.com/movies/features/scenes/story/0,1259,90068-100--12533,00.html

      *** "The I Inside" is a new movie about an NDEr
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/bpihw/20020609/en_bpihw/perabo__polley__rea__lang_enter__inside__circle

      The Forum

      *** Mary Ellen's NDE - many rewards
      http://www.near-death.com/wwwboard/messages/1894.html

      *** Enigma's NDE - the kiss of life
      http://www.near-death.com/wwwboard/messages/1480.html

      *** William Ott's NDE - my 12 second death
      http://www.near-death.com/wwwboard/messages/437.html

      *** Post your NDE on the bulletin board
      http://www.near-death.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

      What's new

      *** Sacred geometry, mandalas, crop circles, fractals and the NDE
      http://www.near-death.com/geometry.html
      Phillip S. Mitchell's research on the connection between sacred
      geometry, mandalas, and crop circles with the near-death
      experience

      NDE spotlight

      *** Nancy Evans Bush's NDE - a less-than-positive NDE

      Nancy Evans Bush, a devout Christian, had an unusual near-death
      experience resulting from a severe complication during childbirth.
      In her own words, she described seeing unusual mandalas during her
      near-death experience: "I was rocketing through space like an
      astronaut without a capsule with immense speed and great distance.
      A small group of circles appeared ahead of me. To the right was
      just dark space. The circles were black and white and made a
      clicking sound as they snapped black to white and white to black.
      They were not evil exactly, just mocking and mechanistic. The
      message in their jeering was, "Your life never existed. The world
      never existed. Your family never existed. You were allowed to
      imagine it. You were allowed to make it up. It was never there.
      There was nothing there. There never was anything there. You're
      not real."

      Several years after her near-death experience, Nancy was looking
      through a book on eastern philosophy. What she saw in the book
      so upset her, she threw the book across the room. In the Eastern
      philosophy book, she saw the circular shape she saw in her
      near-death experience. It was the Chinese symbol "yin-yang"
      which represents the oneness of all so-called opposite principles
      we find in the universe.

      The Buddhist concept of reality is that nothing in this physical
      world is real. People consist of a "bundle" of habits, memories,
      sensations, desires, and so forth, which together delude people
      into thinking that he or she consists of a stable, lasting self.
      This false self is what reincarnates body after body. In Buddhism,
      life in a corporeal body is the source of all suffering. Hence,
      the goal is to obtain liberation. This means abandoning the false
      sense of self so that the bundle of memories and impulses
      disintegrates, leaving nothing to reincarnate and hence nothing
      to experience pain. Nirvana is the Buddhist term for liberation.
      Nirvana literally means extinction - an extinction that allows a
      person to become one with all there is - to become God (Buddha).
      To attain Nirvana, one must face and accept the concept that
      physical reality is not real; true reality comes through
      self-extinction which results in becoming one with God.

      From the webmaster

      *** QUESTION: How many of the NDEs featured on the site did you
      research for accuracy? For example, did you talk to the people
      personally? Did you gather corroborating evidence, such as medical
      records, witness verification, etc? How do we know that some of
      them are not fictional accounts? Many of the people featured have
      written books. How do we know their stories were not just invented
      to make money?

      ANSWER: The short answer to your question is that I mostly profile
      near-death experiences that have already been documented,
      published, and verified by a medical doctor. Some of them,
      such as the few that has been emailed to me, have not been
      verified. These people I have talked to, as well as many of
      the published experiencers.
      The only experiencer that I am aware of that has made a lot
      of money is Betty Eadie. As the writer of a book myself, I can
      tell you that books such as these generally don't make much money.
      It is clear to me that these experiencers just want to get there
      message out. Even if it costs them money. Nobody is getting
      rich on near-death experiences that I am aware of except for
      Betty Eadie. The reason for her success is that she wrote the
      first important book on the subject and her book hit the New York
      Times Bestseller list. Although there still remains some
      questions about the existence of her hospital records, her
      experience was obviously written by someone who is very spiritual.
      While this does not make her testimony true, it does support the
      idea that something spiritual did happen to her.
      There are some documented cases of near-death experiences
      that are classified as being "veridical", meaning the person
      outside of there body was able to see and hear events that were
      later proven to be true. Here are some examples

      Pam Reynold's NDE
      http://www.near-death.com/reynolds.html

      Veridical NDEs
      http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html

      NDEs of People Born Blind
      http://www.near-death.com/blind.html

      Out-of-body Circumstantial Evidence
      http://www.near-death.com/tart.html

      Skeptical Question Answered
      http://www.near-death.com/skeptic.html

      News concerning Near-Death
      http://www.near-death.com/news.html

      The Experts Speak
      http://www.near-death.com/experts.html

      Upcoming events

      *** November 14-16, 2002 - Making Sense of Dying and Death
      Converence, Rome, Italy
      This inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary project aims to
      create a forum for examining the links between living and dying,
      and some of the contradictions and paradoxes which arise that we
      appear to accept without question.
      http://www.near-death.com/wwwboard/messages/1895.html

      *** January 8-10, 2003 - IANDS North American Conference
      "Healing and the NDE" - Sheraton Waikiki Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii
      Our aim is to reach out to health-care professionals of all types:
      doctors; nurses; psychologists, psychiatrists and other mental
      health counselors; hospice workers; energy healers, etc.
      http://www.iands.org/conf.html

      New NDE tv listings

      *** July 5 - Encounters with the Unexplained - KSPX
      A look at near-death experiences; a man who believes he knows how
      the Egyptians built the Pyramids.

      *** July 7,12,17 - Life Afterlife - HBO
      ALERT: This documentary is one of the best I have ever seen. It is
      not available in stores unfortunately. If you don't have HBO, you
      can order it for only the day you want. I guarantee you, it will
      be more than worth it. Don't miss this one. Be sure to tape it.
      Linda Ellerbee hosts an exploration into near-death experiences
      and the afterlife. Included: comments from psychics, medical
      professionals, and patients who claim to have been beyond and back.

      *** Search cable listings for "death" or "near-death"
      http://www.tvguide.com/listings/search/Search.asp

      New NDE books

      *** Now I Know Why: The Struggle to Understand My Near-Death
      Experience, by Audre Kramer
      Paperback - (Dec 2001) 152 pages
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0759676763/neardeathexpe-20

      *** Tranceformers: Shamans of the 21st Century: Owner's Manual for
      Human Beings, by John Jay Harper
      Paperback - (June 2002) 252 pages
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0595229751/neardeathexpe-20

      New NDE web links

      *** Ian McCormack's NDE page
      http://www.finalfrontier.org.uk/mccorm.htm

      *** From PMH Atwater:
      Now Online - Near-death experiencers, as well as anyone else who
      desires a healthier, more holistic yet grounded approach to the
      educational process, are invited to explore the varied offerings
      of the schools and universities mentioned here at
      http://cinemind.com/atwater/schls.html
      This listing is not intended to be complete, but, rather, a
      starting point for what is currently available. I make no
      guarantees here; opinions expressed are my own.

      Two magazines came out with their own list of America's healthiest,
      most patient-centered hospitals in 2001. Because near-death
      experiencers and those like them face such a challenge when
      dealing with the medical community and any hospitalization they
      might need, I want to at least pass along the general contact
      information for these places and reference the magazine the
      material came from. I am making these two lists available at
      http://cinemind.com/atwater/hosp.html solely in the interest
      of public service.

      *** If you know of any new NDE website or web article you would
      like to see profiled, email me the address of the website. Thanks!

      Odds and ends

      Please feel free to share this newsletter with others you think might
      benefit from this information concerning near-death experiences.
      Thanks for reading!

      If you would like to contribute some information to an upcoming
      Near-Death Newsletter, email it to Kevin Williams at his email
      address below.

      Kevin Williams
      neardeathexperience@...

      For past issues of the newsletter please visit:

      2002 Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife
      http://www.near-death.com

      Kevin Williams
      Webmaster, Near-Death Experiences & the Afterlife
      Author, Nothing Better Than Death
      www.near-death.com
      "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
      We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
      - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer