Re: [nde] Palimpsest.

  • Noni
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
      IMO, 'Being human' is trying to 'fill in' and make sense the world around us.. But no words have magically appeared to dissipate our numerous questions.. Adding more words to documents has not made us more aware..

      It seems to me that the 'truth' is not to be found in language, culture, and social paradigms but generation after generation we still try to find it using these means..
      The key to finding the truth is to stop the words from taking us over to where we are totally identified by words..
      Yet -smile- here we are in a 'message group' sharing our ideas with words.. Using language to say that what we truly seek is not found in a 'thinking -via words- mind'. What makes it even harder.. IS the thinking mind will do everything in its power to keep us in the 'thinking state.'..

      I don't 'think' this means that we have to stop thinking totally. But we need to stop -as often as we can- identifying ourselves (and others) by our thinking.. AND we can try to be 'present' as much as we can..
      Love, Noni

      On 9/1/2011 1:29 AM, Wahaliedoda wrote:

      Way back, when monks carefully copied up things on precious vellum, it would often happen that more and more things were added to fill up all the available space; and I'm trying presently to think through, prior to composing, a post based largely upon my reading and watching video-clips of Eckhart Tolle, in an attempt to account for our perceptions, not only of what *we* as individuals experience of the specious world 'out there', but also of things like cultural, linguistic and social paradigms that seem to engulf us, adding to the sense of ego instead of helping us minimize it. And I want to limit such a post to the average length of items submitted here. Naturally. I'd be delighted to see others 'beat me to the draw' on this, or possibly amend content in the form of a thread.

      His-thoughts-walk-upon-the-winds....

    • KurtR1357
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2011
        Tolle's ideas seem to work well when juxtaposed with the studies of Joseph Campbell, the power of myth and the power of now. Together they tell me that our ego is a personal manifestation of the tendency of humans to construct mythology of the hero's journey. Except the ego is our own personal drama in which we are always the hero or heroine.

        I suggest watching some Joseph Campbell videos (also some are online) if you have not read his ideas. But if you have seen the 'Star Wars' saga, then you know Campbell's hero's journey, George Lucus followed Campbell's ideas in constructing the plot-line for all six films. So the Star Wars philosophy is an expose on conquering ego and being 'in the now' by centering on the force that is within us all (the 'mitichlorians').

        Personally I think our world would be less human without ego. Rather than eliminate human traits like ego, I think they must be balanced, part of a whole system of being. But definitely ego should not be the master.