Art/Creativity - was: Fab Four Wisdom

  • Linda ^i^
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      scott To: nde@yahoogroups.com  September 30, 2009 [nde] Fab Four Wisdom
      At dinner last night, I opened my Beatles Anthology to a random page near the back and read this (paraphrasing) from the late George Harrison (considered by many to be the "spiritual Beatle"):

      "All art,including music, is nothing more than man's attempt to reproduce (the beauty) that God creates every moment."

      In context, I think he meant that art is valuable and meaningful, but must be kept in perspective. A painting of a sunset is only a pale attempt to capture the beauty of a real sunset.

      Dear Scott,
      As an artist, let me say that I have come to believe that art is not about trying to recreate the beauty of existence, but to express the aspect of god-ess that is creativity.  Artist paint, not because they are deluded they have equalled or surpassed what nature does, but because they have tapped into creativity, which - at its best - is a form of unconditional love.
          Anyone who has gotten lost into the rapture of creativity will tell you that they disappeared and what is left is a remarkable form of meditation, of selflessness, of connection with God.  My nod to George, whom I admire greatly, but I think it is this something more.
      With love,
      Li8nda
    • superduperwriter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
        I would agree with you as I have experienced what you describe with respect to creativity.

        I think part of the point George was making was that it's a hopeless endeavor to try to recreate something like a sunset and expect it to have the power and grandeur of the real deal.

        I also believe his point was about keeping things in perspective. As a Beatle, he and the others were virtually worshipped, but his point was that they were no better nor worse than any other people. Sure, they put out some good music, made people happy and that was great, but in the big scheme of things, even the mighty Beatles were small potatoes!

        --- In nde@yahoogroups.com, "Linda ^i^" <el-stewart@...> wrote:

        > scott To: nde@yahoogroups.com September 30, 2009 [nde] Fab Four Wisdom
        > At dinner last night, I opened my Beatles Anthology to a random page near the back and read this (paraphrasing) from the late George Harrison (considered by many to be the "spiritual Beatle"):
        >
        > "All art,including music, is nothing more than man's attempt to reproduce (the beauty) that God creates every moment."
        >
        > In context, I think he meant that art is valuable and meaningful, but must be kept in perspective. A painting of a sunset is only a pale attempt to capture the beauty of a real sunset.
        >
        > Dear Scott,
        > As an artist, let me say that I have come to believe that art is not about trying to recreate the beauty of existence, but to express the aspect of god-ess that is creativity. Artist paint, not because they are deluded they have equalled or surpassed what nature does, but because they have tapped into creativity, which - at its best - is a form of unconditional love.
        > Anyone who has gotten lost into the rapture of creativity will tell you that they disappeared and what is left is a remarkable form of meditation, of selflessness, of connection with God. My nod to George, whom I admire greatly, but I think it is this something more.
        > With love,
        > Li8nda

      • Linda ^i^
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
          In the end, we are equally insignificant as humans and astounding as spirits. <smile>

          Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 10:55 AM
          Subject: [nde] Re: Art/Creativity - was: Fab Four Wisdom