Not Caring What Happens

  • Beck Spelce
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008

      Larry,

      I’ve tried not caring what happens. Instead, I find I care deeply about this little planet and its denizens. I see us as a species on the brink of consciousness in significant numbers to make a difference. For me, to deny that I care is to deny others pain and misery. I’m not attached to it; compassionate rather than sympathetic.

      I try to ask myself: What did you do today to make the world a better place?

      Love,

      Beck

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Kiwanis
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
        To be in the now means that 'you don't care'??
        This thinking, in my opinion, must come from spiritual reductionist thinking..

        If caring means not being in alignment with the 'now' then can I assume it is believed the 'now' is a 'void'?
        Just taking reductionism one step further..
        Noni

        Larry Kennedy wrote:

        "Not Minding (Caring) What Happens", A New Earth, Tolle, p. 198

        Here, Tolle says the implications of this saying of Krishnamurti are profound -- that one who can say this is in alignment with "what happens".  ["What happens" refers to the "form"  of the moment, "the now", takes;  in Tolle's view , it is the only moment there is.]

          So, from the expression "alignment with the now", it is unclear whether one is to learn to accept all forms, or just as many forms as possible.  If you "don't care what happens", you accept all forms;  if you "care", you do not accept all forms (and do experience some resistance and suffering).

        So those who indicated you "care" by not replying, are not totally aligned with the now, and do not always accept "what happens".  (Of course, if you think this argument is incorrect, I would be pleased to read your reasoning.)

        Linda?  Don't you think you sometimes experience resistance because you care?

        Posted by: "Linda ^i^ Stewart" el-stewart@worldnet .att.net   lindaandangels

        Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 am (PST)

        Is there anyone in this group who doesn't care what happens? (If you care, please don't reply.)

        Dear Lar,
        I care.

      • japhack
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In nde@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Kennedy" <larry_kennedy@...> wrote:

          > "Not Minding (Caring) What Happens", A New Earth, Tolle, p. 198
          >
          > Here, Tolle says the implications of this saying of Krishnamurti are
          profound -- that one who can say this is in alignment with "what
          happens". ["What happens" refers to the "form" of the moment, "the
          now", takes; in Tolle's view , it is the only moment there is.]

          This moment is all that there is,
          the last moment is gone, the next is not yet here.

          In the writing of this reply there have been many moments that have come
          and gone, and yet I still exist only in the present moment.

          To care, to fret, to worry, to "mind" is to try and live someplace other
          than the NOW. It simply cannot happen, no matter how much one tries.
          One simply loses the simple enjoyment of being in the NOW.

          Be well, my friend
          to help, to heal, to love
          Don
        • Kiwanis
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
            NOW.. I am at the computer with hands on keyboard.. and eyes on monitor.. I can think, I can talk, I can move my fingers. I can be oblivious to life other than what is NOW.. My mind, NOW reminds me that later today I need to take food over to a friend who is recovering from breast cancer surgery.
            Living in the NOW is not staying put and watching the grass grow.. NOW is the not caring about others..
            If NOW is to 'cease to live' then what joy is there in the NOW?
            NOW means taking notice of the moment.. Moving your body and feeling everything that blows at you..
            Answering the phone and saying, 'What can I do to help?' is in the NOW..
            Simple truths like 'NOW' are not simple at all..
            NOW moments are all we have but there were enough NOW moments for me to finish this post.. And continue to the tasks that await me in the soon to be NOWs.. I will leave y'all NOW because other NOWs, away from the computer, await me.. But I am sure I will be returning at some other NOW moment..
            Not so simply done, because one NOW means going out in (blissful?) cold and not being concerned about the car starting..
            Sigh..
            Noni

            japhack wrote:

            --- In nde@yahoogroups. com, "Larry Kennedy" <larry_kennedy@ ...> wrote:

            > "Not Minding (Caring) What Happens", A New Earth, Tolle, p. 198
            >
            > Here, Tolle says the implications of this saying of Krishnamurti are
            profound -- that one who can say this is in alignment with "what
            happens". ["What happens" refers to the "form" of the moment, "the
            now", takes; in Tolle's view , it is the only moment there is.]

            This moment is all that there is,
            the last moment is gone, the next is not yet here.

            In the writing of this reply there have been many moments that have come
            and gone, and yet I still exist only in the present moment.

            To care, to fret, to worry, to "mind" is to try and live someplace other
            than the NOW. It simply cannot happen, no matter how much one tries.
            One simply loses the simple enjoyment of being in the NOW.

            Be well, my friend
            to help, to heal, to love
            Don

          • bruce budden
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008

                   Larry......The thing is, it's not that one does not care, feel, sympathize for others experiences, situations, it is more like an understanding of what one is learning from their experience. It is sometimes a unfortunate learning incident that their life book has written for them in their spiritual path, but it is for the benefit of their spirit, growth, enlightenment, and the rippling effects of that incident is also for the benefit of those around them. If it is written in our own book to aide this person, creature, then we will take the steps required to act accordingly.

                  I see it as so, imagine for a moment, there may be say, ten people sitting around in a circle, and each person has their own life book, which pertains only to their own unique purpose in life and for spiritual growth.  As you look around at each persons book, some are thick and some are thin, it is a story where each one is the main character, and the first chapter begins at their birth into this realm and the last chapter is their death of the physical body, however that may be.

                 As each one begins to read their book, or begin to live their life path, each one encounters different scenario's, one person may be rich, one may be poor, one may be physically disabled, one may be mentally challenged, some religious, some not, some believe in free will/choice, some do not, <grin>, as is the diversity with all living creature's in this realm. As they each read on, or live their lives, they each encounter different scenario's, obstacles which their ego's have resistance to, to spiritually overcome for growth.

                As each one reads on, or lives their lives, chapter by chapter, the ones with the thinnest books come to an end first, until after a time, there may be only five then four then three people left reading or living on, until finally the last person closes their life book.

                 Now, as each one is reading their book, they discuss with one another the events that are occurring in their books, and as each describes the events, the others perceive that event relative to their own perspectives that they have learnt from their own life book experiences. One person may have died from cancer, one has been beaten, one won the lottery but then was killed in an auto accident.

                 It is not that each one was uncaring for the others events, but it is the understanding that each one had to live out their own life path of learning experiences for their own level of spiritual growth. From each of the events that occurred in each different book, the others felt the rippling effects and had growth as well from those experiences.

                 So, one can apply basically the same concept to actual life as we perceive it, but instead of only ten life books, there are tens of millions, and because someone dies from cancer, becomes paralyzed, suffers emotional breakdowns, divorces after many years of marriage, etc.....it is not that we do not care, or have no sympathy for their events, it pertains to their life path's but we still learn and grow from the rippling effects of those experiences. However they are destined, everything will always be OK.

                                                                   ;o) Bruce.

[...]

            • Mary Shaver

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                  I'd have to disagree that it means you don't care, it means not
                  getting worked up and killing ourselves with stress over what we have
                  no control over. Linda used a good example once, about laying out
                  some homemade paper on a sunny day to dry, then having to run an
                  errand, but while you are there, it starts POURING. What good does it
                  do anyone or anything to fret? What's done is done. Yeah its a
                  bummer, but the world keeps on spinnin'.

                  I also don't think that no MINDING is the same of not CARING. Not
                  minding, in my opinion, means it's of no bother to me.

                  Amanda
                  >To be in the now means that 'you don't care'??
                  >This thinking, in my opinion, must come from spiritual reductionist
                  >thinking..
                  >
                  >If caring means not being in alignment with the 'now' then can I
                  >assume
                  >it is believed the 'now' is a 'void'?
                  >Just taking reductionism one step further..
                  >Noni
                  >

                  >Larry Kennedy wrote:
                  >

                  >> "Not Minding (Caring) What Happens", A New Earth, Tolle, p.
                  >198
                  >>

                  >> Here, Tolle says the implications of this saying of
                  >> Krishnamurti are profound -- that one who can say this is
                  >in
                  >> alignment with "what happens". ["What happens" refers to
                  >the
                  >> "form" of the moment, "the now", takes; in Tolle's view ,
                  >it
                  >> is the only moment there is.]
                  >>

                  >> So, from the expression "alignment with the now", it
                  >> is unclear whether one is to learn to accept all forms, or
                  >> just as many forms as possible. If you "don't care what
                  >> happens", you accept all forms; if you "care", you do not
                  >> accept all forms (and do experience some resistance and
                  >> suffering).
                  >>

                  >> So those who indicated you "care" by not replying, are not
                  >> totally aligned with the now, and do not always accept
                  >"what
                  >> happens". (Of course, if you think this argument is
                  >> incorrect, I would be pleased to read your reasoning.)
                  >>

                  >> Linda? Don't you think you sometimes experience resistance
                  >> because you care?
                  >>

                  >> Posted by: "Linda ^i^ Stewart" el-stewart@...
                  >>
                  ><mailto:el-stewart@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Anyone>
                  >> lindaandangels <http://profiles.yahoo.com/lindaandangels>
                  >>

                  >> Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 am (PST)

                • DIANA ZIMMERMAN
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                    think of it as your childs school play-you get smiles and tears watching it-but you're not vested in the outcome of the play-and the child is not his "character"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                      ps "be in the world not of it" from the bible