Re: [nde] Communicating - Brian (+ a fatuous British response ! )

  • John Schofield
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 12:02 AM
       Ego -  'e go !  *I* stay !"

       John..... Silent Companion.....

      -------Original Message-------

      Date: 09/01/04 03:37:59
      Subject: Re: [nde] Communicating - Brian

      Linda ^i^ Stewart <el-stewart@...> wrote:

      Dear Mike,

      Anna posted something the other day about the brains of people who have had NDEs being different, reflecting the possibility of seizures of some kind (forgive me Anna, if I have badly misquoted the article).

          I would suspect that people who have had profound MEs might be found to have the same thing.

          I suggest that it is not the seizure that caused the NDEs and MEs, but rather, that having had the experiences changes the map of the brain.  Shortly after my NDE, I 'watched' in a vision, the rewiring of my brain.  It was actually quite beautiful as small sparks of light went off as the configuration of the brain pathways were altering.  I don't know if it was a 'real time' event or if it was a symbol of what had happened during my NDE, but I know I experienced it as very real, in the same way I experience thinking about the words I am writing and then they 'appear' on the screen.

      MIKE:  Linda, you bring up a good point that is getting a lot more mainstream attention. The Emerging Mind is a book composed to lectures given by top neuroscientists during a lecture series at The Smithsonian. One of the outcomes to these new discoveries of how the brain functions; is it the cause or initiator of all MEs or does the brain merely act as a receiver to our energy field? The scientific community is polarized and I think we will hear more as the debate begins to become part of the public’s awareness.

      MIKE:  These are my points of reference and as a theologian and professor of communication I’ve dedicated my life to.

      LINDA:  How do you teach that to another? (teaching students how to effectively communicate)

      MIKE:  Classes started this week in fact.

      One of the classes I teach is class called Visual Communications in which we analyze all forms of visual communications from cave men drawing on walls to advertising, journalism, photography, graphic design, brand marketing, and contemporary movies. During the semester I will give lectures on tapping into creative energy and unleashing the creative genius within. My class will sometimes sound like a biology class (how and why we see the way we do) a philosophy or psychology class (how we interpret) and physics (Einstein’s theory of relativity) and communications (why visuals are used). There are exercises that I use (reflections, surveys and questionnaires, etc.) to get the students to think outside the box. For example, one of the early exercises they will do for me is to go someplace where they can find quiet, relax and begin to look at things until they feel as though they are looking at it for the first time. The first time I did this exercise myself I focused on a coffee cup that I had used time and time again, a familiar object so familiar that I never noticed the way the handle was looped, the little chip in the lip that my son had christened it as he was loading the dishwasher, and how the brown color on the bottom was beginning to fade. Looking at it for the first time, again, and I gained such an appreciation for this object that I had used for so long it was almost an extension of me.

      For my Public Relations classes I use similar exercises to get students in touch with their own intuition, something that is vital in that field because sometimes our gut feelings (intuition) goes against the conventional wisdom of the day and being encouraged to trust intuition is invaluable.

      Anyway, a long answer to a short question

      LINDA:  I was talking with Bill earlier about 'how to let go the ego without thinking it foe".  I know I must relinquish my ego but I also know if I think it enemy, I make it seem more real.

      MIKE:  The best way of dealing with ego that I heard explained was embracing the ego as the tender, loving observer, never being hostile to it. Laughter is always a good way of “loving the ego to death” as well.

      Be Well,

      Mike

    • Anna
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1 1:34 AM
        Hello John,
        if we reject the scientific interpretation ( which is the meaningless speculation anyway ) we can observe with a cold eye such facts :

        1/ People who have NDE or even OBE  have different working brains that those who are "normal". Now, is it is impossible really to decide who is normal here, whether NDE'rs or non-NDEr's, since it is merely a matter of perspective seen by majority  and we are the minority.

        2/ The fact that during NDE or OBE there are electric disturbances, lapses and storms, does not mean that NDE is produced by these disturbances, but rather that clear consciousness is only possible when brain switches off.  So, as long  brain is  working normally which can be reduced to saying  that as long brain limits and prevents certain information from reaching the mind  we cannot see what is really  'behind the veil', but once it stops interfering, we are free to perceive   Totality.

        3/ NDE and OBE are possibly an  evidence that there is another reality, or world, by some called "afterlife".
         This reality can be only observed when one is  no longer  controlled by his brain.

        From there, we can even develop a theory of death and its true  purpose which is a liberation of mind/soul.
        Mind and soul to me  are the same.

        Anna

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1 9:06 AM