grand bois testimonials?

  • V Ricks
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2010
      Hi, folks,

      Before I spring for a pair of Grand Bois tires, I wondered whether any
      of you have used them. My impression from reading lots of online
      reviews is that because they lack puncture-resistant belts, their
      durability/enjoyability depends heavily on how clean the roads are.
      Anybody here have experience riding them on North Carolina's roads, and
      were they up to the challenge?

      (By the way -- I haven't conclusively decided to buy them. Also, I
      don't mean to start an online war about whose tire choices are better
      than whose! I love the variety and range of equipment in the
      randonneuring community.)

      Thanks,
      -Vance
    • V Ricks
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2010
        Answering my own question, sort of:

        I rode Tony's excellent 300k brevet yesterday on a set of the Grand Bois Cerf (x28) tires.  I'm not sure that I felt the magic, but on the other hand, being as big as I am, I tend to like my tires inflated to at least 100psi and I've since read that the best way to feel the difference is (a) to run wider tires than 28s and (b) to run lower inflations than I generally like to do.

        That said, despite this having been my first 300k, my arms/shoulders didn't feel nearly as beaten up as they usually do after the 200ks.  In order to justify my purchase, I'm going to say that the tires probably get some of the credit for that!

        Also, I didn't get any flats.  Then again, I rode super carefully, hyperalert for even a trace of pebble or other road debris.  A post-ride tire inspection reveals no visible sidewall damage.

        Thanks for a good route and for the Subway sandwiches at the finish, Tony!  And thanks to the other riders for a good intro to 300ks.

        -Vance

      • srbikerdude@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 21, 2010
          Vance, Sounds like they worked!! Can you ride Friday am?

          Mark N. Vickers

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 22, 2010
            Hi, Mark,

            I'll check!  What time/place did you have in mind?

            -Vance

            .