600km

  • Adrian Hands
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 8, 2008
      first it failed to rain onthe '08 raven rock ramble, now no rain on
      the 600km? or maybe it did rain and the stuff just evaporated a
      thousand feet up? wow! that was a scorcher! before the ride i was, "i
      shoulda signed up to ride," but watching the eleven randonneurs who
      did show up and ride, despite forecasts of 99F (which turned out o be
      lower than actual!) i decided it coulda been the death of me! still,
      most of y'all looked remarkably fresh on the way down between white
      lake and wilmington. i don't think anybody gave much thought to
      sleeping in wilmington and giving up the merciful break from the sun,
      and it didnt look like much sleep was had at all on this ride. i told
      dan, "i bet at 4pm today all still riding were really questioning
      their sanity (everybody who saw them was even without knowing how
      incredibly long they'd been riding), but feel better now and will be
      glad they did it tomorrow."

      ok, maybe by wednesday.

      first full series for several of y'all? gary, john?
    • Gary Shaffer
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 8, 2008
        Unfortunately I had to abandon just after Erwin.  No more go left in the legs.  It's a pity -- it would have been GLORIOUS to roll in as the lanterne rouge in my first 600K attempt!  I really appreciated all the excellent help, advice, and encouragement from the volunteers (Adrian, Ian, Dan, Jerry) and from fellow rider Dean.  I'll be [over]analyzing what I did and didn't do to try to learn from this experience.  I greatly enjoyed it.  Less heat would have been OK.  At 8am this morning, I thought I was going to make it, but as it turned out, I was just not far enough down the road before the peak heat hit.  There were probably some other factors too.  I probably need to learn how to eat better for a 600.

        - Gary

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 9, 2008
          Ouch, Gary, I know that's gotta stink to be so close, but I don't think anybody would say there's any shame in throwing in the (sweat soaked) towel on this one. It was brutal out there. You still pumped out more than 300 miles over two of the (hopefully) hottest days of the year. My hat is off to you for sticking it out as long as you could.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 9, 2008
            Hey Gary, John's right. Just toeing the start line with the extreme
            forecast in mind was very brave. Chapeau to you, and to you all! By
            the way, here's what NWS Wilmington had to say about the heat down
            south of Stedman on Sunday. Note the "avoid prolonged exposure or
            strenuous activities." Clearly, they are not randonneurs.

            SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
            NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON NC
            1002 AM EDT SUN JUN 8 2008

            NCZ087-096-097-099
            101-SCZ017-023-024-032
            034-039-046-082200-
            COLUMBUS-BLADEN-ROBESON-PENDER-NEW HANOVER-BRUNSWICK
            1002 AM EDT SUN JUN 8 2008

            ...OPPRESSIVE HEAT WILL CONTINUE...

            TEMPERATURES THIS AFTERNOON WILL ONCE AGAIN SOAR THROUGH THE 90S
            WITH MANY PLACES REACHING THE TRIPLE DIGITS..

            IF YOU PLAN TO BE OUTSIDE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING...AVOID
            PROLONGED EXPOSURE OR STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES. YOUR BODY CAN LOSE UP
            TO A GALLON OF WATER AN HOUR THROUGH PERSPIRATION. DRINK PLENTY OF
            NON-CAFFEINATED...NON-ALCOHOLIC FLUIDS. IF VENTURING OUTSIDE...
            WEAR LIGHT-WEIGHT AND LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING...AS WELL AS A HAT
            AND SUNSCREEN TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE SUN.
          • Phelps, Jerry (NIH/NIEHS) [E]
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 9, 2008
              Chapeau to the 11 starters of the NCBC 600. As Branson said, with the
              forecast for a continued heat wave, it took guts to show up for the
              start line. Well done to everyone.

              And to the finishers, special congratulations are richly deserved,
              especially to the first-timers and to the new Super Randonneur Award
              earners. Go ahead and buy the medal--it's pretty cool and you earned
              it!

              And special congratulations to Alan for another successful SR season.

              jp
            • gshaffer@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 9, 2008
                Yes, it did stink.  I am proud of the effort, and I think it was a weekend well spent.  Had a large breakfast this morning, a tall cup of coffee, and I feel fine.  Thanks for the kind words.  Hopefully I will be able to make a second attempt next year.

                - Gary

                -------------- Original message from "J Bovine" <bovine.j@...>: --------------

                Message 7 of 20 , May 22, 2012

                  The new cue sheet for the 600 km brevet is now on my website at: http://www.unc.edu/~alanj/

                  There are a few changes from last year due to a detour near Fuquay- Varina, a different control in Wilmington and a couple of smoother roads without dogs near Wade and Stedman.

                  Alan

                • Luke Heller
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                    How many people are planning on the 600k? I'm thinking about coming down from Asheville for it if my achilles tendinitis allows.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On May 22, 2012, at 1:19 PM, "Alan Johnson" <alanmj@...> wrote:

                    The new cue sheet for the 600 km brevet is now on my website at: http://www.unc.edu/~alanj/

                    There are a few changes from last year due to a detour near Fuquay- Varina, a different control in Wilmington and a couple of smoother roads without dogs near Wade and Stedman.

                    Alan

                  • Ian Hands
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                      On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Luke Heller <heller.luke@...> wrote:
                      > How many people are planning on the 600k? I'm thinking about coming down
                      > from Asheville for it if my achilles tendinitis allows.

                      Ouch. I was in PT for about 8 weeks last year due to an Achilles
                      injury. For me it was a mainly flexibility deficiency. Take care, that
                      stuff sucks!
                      Sorry to hijack the thread.

                      --
                      Sent from me, iHands.
                    • Martin
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                        For those that like GPX (or GPS) files ... the link(s) on Alan's website for the 600k Trimble map will take you to the correct map for this year.

                        Trimble creates GPX files.  I understand that one can create GPS from GPX, but don't ask me about either.  I use the official hard-copy cue sheets Alan makes available at the ride start (or the one already published on his website -- which is the same thing).

                        The link is the same link as for last year, but the map has been updated for this year's route, including the little detour, the different control in Wilmington, and the two changes to use smoother roads with fewer dawgs.

                        Neither Alan nor I warranty the accuracy of the Trimble map.  Discrepancies should be resolved in favor of the hard-copy cue sheet Alan will have at the ride start.

                        ...Martin

                        --- In ncrandoncyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Johnson" <alanmj@...> wrote:

                        > The new cue sheet for the 600 km brevet is now on my website at:
                        > http://www.unc.edu/~alanj/
                        >
                        > There are a few changes from last year due to a detour near Fuquay- Varina,
                        > a different control in Wilmington and a couple of smoother roads without
                        > dogs near Wade and Stedman.
                        >
                        > Alan

                      • Alan Johnson
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 20, 2013

                          I have scouted the 600k route and Joel has also ridden the route and as of now, there are no detours or problems with the route. I have room 56 reserved for us at the Langston Motel in White Lake. Jerry Phelps will be there but check in time is not until 3:00 pm so you should go to the Scotchman for the control on the way out and the Langston coming back. I also have a room in Wilmington (either 101 or 102 near the front) for the turnaround control. Joel Lawrence will be there to start and later he will be replaced by Rick Carpenter of Wilmington.

                          Since Joel has to leave early, He will not be able to bring drop bags back from Wilmington. Drop bags will only go to White Lake this time.

                          I have updated my web site with the cue sheet for this year’s ride.

                          Alan

                        • Tom Droege

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 20, 2013
                              Alan -- room 101 or 102 of ... the Travel Lodge?
                              Okay, the cue sheet indicates the Travel Lodge again this year -- the first time in my very short career that the control in Wilmington has been in the same place as the previous year.

                              For those needing a GPS-type track to navigate, you might not want to use the TrimbleOutdoors map-link on Alan's website as that is last year's route with last year's detour.  Other than that, though, it is still good (and the detour is rather obvious).

                              Or, you could try this RWGPS map:   http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2535724

                              I am not going to indicate, in any way, that Alan might have forgotten to update the map-link on his website because I don't want Jerry to drink my share of the home-brew this year.

                              ...Martin

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 20, 2013
                                  I'll just have to find a way to break that pact.
                                  Or ride faster and beat you back to Alan's.
                                  Yeah, like that is gonna' happen.

                                  ...Martin

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 21, 2013
                                    Michael Throop and I are doing John's 200k point to point from
                                    Hillsborough to Dobson (SW of Mt Airy) and then back. John will be
                                    joining us for the 1st 45 miles and eating Breakfast with us in
                                    Reidsville. Weather is looking great 53-75 degrees, 10% chance of rain
                                    and cloudy.

                                    Any one is welcome to join us. You can just ride out and back with
                                    John, or do the 200k and stay over somewhere and come back, or do the
                                    400k with Michael and I.

                                    We will start at 6:00am (Weavers st market, Hillsborough)

                                    If you want to join us for the 200ks, I need names of Riders, Rusa
                                    numbers, addresses by Wednesday.

                                    - Tom Droege
                                  • Alan Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2017

                                      I have scouted out the route and there are no problems this year. The only minor change is coming into Steadman, there is a new NC-24 bypass about a quarter mile from the old NC-24. You cannot go straight across but have to go right for 100 yards, make a U-turn and come back to get on course.

                                      I have someone who lives in Wilmington who will be at the turn around motel.

                                      I DO NOT HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS TO HELP ME AT WHITE LAKE. I HAVE RESERVED A ROOM THERE BUT I NEED SOMEONE TO GO THERE WITH THE DROP BAGS!!!

                                      WILL SOMEONE PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO HELP ME.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Alan

                                    • Ian Hands

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 4, 2017

                                          Ian, Are you bringing Mary and Adrian with you?

                                          Alan

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 5, 2017
                                            Yeah they will be down with me this time.

                                            On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 9:14 PM, 'Alan Johnson' alanmj@...