Re: [ncesperanto] Re: Mi bedauxras :-(

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      Saluton al cxiuj,

      >I would be interested to read the minutes. Was there a good number
      >of people?

      Eight people attended. I suppose that's a good number if you compare it to our regular meetings!

      >Hmm, I think I have to ask what are all the objectives of the NES
      >and of the FNES?
      >Have these been finalised? Is introducing Esperanto into schools a
      >key goal? Will it be introduced locally into the public/private
      >primary and secondary school system or just in primary schools?

      Our main aim is "to have Esperanto adopted as the chief second language in the Australian School system,
      especially in Newcastle." This is an extremely big goal, but we have to aim high and fall high, don't we? Our
      other draft aims include:
      * To have a few people in the group reach the Baza level by the middle of 2005 (this is why we need regular
      meetings, and our WEA course, I will talk more about that soon)
      * By December 2005, one or two in the group should be at the level of Esperanto instructor.
      * To collaborate further with other Esperanto groups, in particular the fledgling Central Coast group.
      * To help Newcastle to become a bilingual city, including by producing/translating signs at festivals such as
      Fiesta, Stomp, Human Rights Day, etc.

      Our activity structure is set around the three rubrics of the UEA:
      1. Information. Letting people know about the language.
      2. Teaching. Being able to teach the language.
      3. Making Esperanto useful through translations of foreign language material into Esperanto, and its use on
      signs, etc.

      Suggestions:
      * To build up a network of contacts that may be able to help us in our aims for the Group. People such as
      local politicians, and perhaps those connected with the education system and the Migrant Resource Centre,
      etc. In fact this is the very purpose of FNES.
      * To have another Conference, attended by local dignataries, just to keep Esperanto in the news.
      * To liaise with the Migrant Resource Centre.
      * To contact indigenous groups. Esperanto could be promoted for people who wish to learn an indigenous
      language. Learning Esperanto may help those people learn an indigenous language much quicker.
      * To try to get a wealthy patron or sponsor, so we could get our own Esperanto House.

      We have decided to have two thursday meetings a month, redesign our web page, and make posters.
      As you can see, we have a lot of suggestions, and so we need a lot of people support!!! (And trust me, most
      of them weren't even mine!)

      >Is there a membership fee structure in either FNES or NES? As I
      >remember there wasn't a membership fee to join the NES. You've
      >probably got this all figured out but I think its a good idea to
      >keep the FNES free and charge some sort of membership fee to the NES
      >so the society can generate some money for expenses like sending out
      >letters, etc.

      There has never been a membership fee for either organisation. I agree that FNES should have no
      membership fee (perhaps later on we may need to charge $6 in postage fees for people who don't supply an
      email address so that they can receive a newsletter). NES does not currently have a membership fee
      because we have $5000 in a trust fund earning a little over 5% p.a. (actually it's $5035 because we add the
      CPI each year, calculated bimonthly). However, this only gives us around $250 a year in expenses (which I
      wouldn't spit on, but we definitely could function better with an actual income). We have a separate unlocked
      account with around $200 in it at the moment for our expenses this year.
      Another good reason for instituting a membership fee is that people tend to be more connected to the group if
      they have paid a fee. Anyway, I don't really mind one way or the other, it is a motion that somebody can raise
      at one of our meetings. If it is raised, I probably would support it, but I don't feel strongly enough about it yet to
      actually raise the motion myself.
      Speaking of which, Richard Paradiso might be going to the Esperanto congress in Adelaide in a week or two,
      and we need to decide how much we can support him with. I think that $100 is reasonable, but since it is so
      soon Andrew and I will have to make an executive decision. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, write
      now or forever hold your peace.

      >Also is the FNES a separate enitity of NES? Or does it operate under
      >the NES? I'm assuming if it has a separate organising committee it
      >must be a separate organisation.

      Yes, it is a separate entity. Actually, neither NES nor FNES are technically legal entities, because we're not
      incorporated, but most societies aren't. It is very expensive to be incorporated and the only benefits are that
      you can be insured, you can hold your own bank accounts, you hold more weight, etc.

      >Thursdays at the Octopod. Ok, I'm guessing the Ecohome thing didn't
      >work out with the new caretakers or something?. It might be too
      >early in the year to hold a meeting but if someone wants to organise
      >and let us know through this list then I'm happy to go if I can.

      EcoHome is kind of working, but we didn't mention it much at the meeting. We have missed a lot of meetings
      at the EcoHome and I'm afraid that we might have put them off. They are kind of happy to let us have our
      meetings there, although last time we had to have it outside because they weren't home. We'll have to make
      a decision about that, but then we will have to have some serious conversations with both Huckleberry and
      the Octapod committee to concrete things in a bit.
      I am working next Thursday from 5pm-10pm, so unless we want to pull the meeting forward to 3pm and finish
      at 4:30, I can't come.

      >Hoping for a better world in 2005,

      Yes, and hopefully we won't just hope but do something about it! Some things are unavoidable, but if you
      want to change the world, it's doable.
      Just make sure you pre-order your straitjacket.

      Amike,
      Jonathan
    • washington_i@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        > Eight people attended. I suppose that's a good number if you
        compare it to our regular meetings!

        Woah 8!!! No wonder you've moved to the Pod. It would have been
        pretty cramped on the Ecohome sunroom floor :-p

        > Our main aim is "to have Esperanto adopted as the chief second
        language in the Australian School system,
        > especially in Newcastle." This is an extremely big goal, but we
        have to aim high and fall high, don't we?

        We are aiming very high indeed. Can't say that I'm extremely
        optimistic, but who knows what we can all do.

        Our
        > other draft aims include:
        > * To have a few people in the group reach the Baza level by the
        middle of 2005 (this is why we need regular
        > meetings, and our WEA course, I will talk more about that soon)
        > * By December 2005, one or two in the group should be at the level
        of Esperanto instructor.
        > * To collaborate further with other Esperanto groups, in
        particular the fledgling Central Coast group.
        > * To help Newcastle to become a bilingual city, including by
        producing/translating signs at festivals such as
        > Fiesta, Stomp, Human Rights Day, etc.
        >
        > Our activity structure is set around the three rubrics of the UEA:
        > 1. Information. Letting people know about the language.
        > 2. Teaching. Being able to teach the language.
        > 3. Making Esperanto useful through translations of foreign
        language material into Esperanto, and its use on
        > signs, etc.
        >
        > Suggestions:
        > * To build up a network of contacts that may be able to help us in
        our aims for the Group. People such as
        > local politicians, and perhaps those connected with the education
        system and the Migrant Resource Centre,
        > etc. In fact this is the very purpose of FNES.
        > * To have another Conference, attended by local dignataries, just
        to keep Esperanto in the news.
        > * To liaise with the Migrant Resource Centre.
        > * To contact indigenous groups. Esperanto could be promoted for
        people who wish to learn an indigenous
        > language. Learning Esperanto may help those people learn an
        indigenous language much quicker.

        I'll need some time to think about the suggestions and the proposed
        goals and come up with some ideas on them.

        > * To try to get a wealthy patron or sponsor, so we could get our
        own Esperanto House.

        I can see that the NES likes to dream big. I wonder how many years
        of fundraising that would take and what we would have to sell!

        > We have decided to have two thursday meetings a month, redesign
        our web page, and make posters.
        > As you can see, we have a lot of suggestions, and so we need a lot
        of people support!!! (And trust me, most
        > of them weren't even mine!)

        That website does need a redesign and update and stat! Are we moving
        our homepage off the AEA site?

        > >Is there a membership fee structure in either FNES or NES? As I
        > >remember there wasn't a membership fee to join the NES. You've
        > >probably got this all figured out but I think its a good idea to
        > >keep the FNES free and charge some sort of membership fee to the
        NES
        > >so the society can generate some money for expenses like sending
        out
        > >letters, etc.
        >
        > There has never been a membership fee for either organisation. I
        agree that FNES should have no
        > membership fee (perhaps later on we may need to charge $6 in
        postage fees for people who don't supply an
        > email address so that they can receive a newsletter). NES does not
        currently have a membership fee
        > because we have $5000 in a trust fund earning a little over 5%
        p.a. (actually it's $5035 because we add the
        > CPI each year, calculated bimonthly). However, this only gives us
        around $250 a year in expenses (which I
        > wouldn't spit on, but we definitely could function better with an
        actual income). We have a separate unlocked
        > account with around $200 in it at the moment for our expenses this
        year.

        I forgot about that money we received.

        > Another good reason for instituting a membership fee is that
        people tend to be more connected to the group if
        > they have paid a fee. Anyway, I don't really mind one way or the
        other, it is a motion that somebody can raise
        > at one of our meetings. If it is raised, I probably would support
        it, but I don't feel strongly enough about it yet to
        > actually raise the motion myself.
        > Speaking of which, Richard Paradiso might be going to the
        Esperanto congress in Adelaide in a week or two,
        > and we need to decide how much we can support him with. I think
        that $100 is reasonable, but since it is so
        > soon Andrew and I will have to make an executive decision. If
        anyone has any thoughts on the matter, write
        > now or forever hold your peace.

        Well I think its a good idea, and I want to raise it as an issue we
        need to consider. While at the moment we may not feel so strongly
        about the whole membership fee issue, currently we really don't have
        much to spend on. Our expenses aren't that great but in the future
        we may need to offer more scholarships/sponsorships to pay. We might
        also get more extravagant with our spending
        I do agree that getting people to pay a membership fee does make
        them feel more connected, but obviously the amount of this
        membership fee should be debated on.

        $100 seems like an awfully rounded figure? How did you arrive on
        this amount? $100 sounds heaps reasonable to me too. Imagine all the
        McDonald takeaways he could get :-p

        > Yes, it is a separate entity. Actually, neither NES nor FNES are
        technically legal entities, because we're not
        > incorporated, but most societies aren't. It is very expensive to
        be incorporated and the only benefits are that
        > you can be insured, you can hold your own bank accounts, you hold
        more weight, etc.

        I didn't think it would be expensive to incorporate a club/society?
        May need to read up about that, but I also didn't think it would be
        worth incorporating the group because we don't have many members, we
        don't have have many transactions involving large amounts of money
        and I don't think we have a risk of being sued for something (but
        who knows about that :-S)

        > >Thursdays at the Octopod. Ok, I'm guessing the Ecohome thing
        didn't
        > >work out with the new caretakers or something?. It might be too
        > >early in the year to hold a meeting but if someone wants to
        organise
        > >and let us know through this list then I'm happy to go if I can.
        >
        > EcoHome is kind of working, but we didn't mention it much at the
        meeting. We have missed a lot of meetings
        > at the EcoHome and I'm afraid that we might have put them off.
        They are kind of happy to let us have our
        > meetings there, although last time we had to have it outside
        because they weren't home. We'll have to make
        > a decision about that, but then we will have to have some serious
        conversations with both Huckleberry and
        > the Octapod committee to concrete things in a bit.

        I find it sorta weird how Sue didn't let the next people know about
        the Esperanto meetings (assuming that she met with them before hand
        to discuss the ins and outs of the house). She was probably caught
        up with the whole moving process, can't believe that she took the
        chickens with her! :-)
        I'm guessing there must have been some confusion when you turned up
        the house one Saturday...

        > I am working next Thursday from 5pm-10pm, so unless we want to
        pull the meeting forward to 3pm and finish
        > at 4:30, I can't come.

        What are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

        > Yes, and hopefully we won't just hope but do something about it!
        Some things are unavoidable, but if you
        > want to change the world, it's doable.
        > Just make sure you pre-order your straitjacket.

        Already got mine on layby ;-)