Re: [ncanativeeventsandnews] Re: "Dreamkeeper" - A Small Treasure

  • teresa martinez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Greetings;
      That story was wonderful and I had been waiting for the viewing for it had been postponed several times. I am wondering how/when the video/DVD will be available. I checked Halmark.com for info and it is not available yet. Does anyone have any information? It is also a great teaching tool for young ones. My Mother just died so it had greater significance for me.
      Happy New Year everyone!

      Sue Charles <suetv123@...> wrote:
      We caught the DREAMKEEPER, both parts, on TV. I agree with the
      review of the miniseries presentation. I also felt that the
      commercial breaks (though necessary to the venue) were distracting
      to the fast paced and fully packed story. I only hope that
      the "non's" who watched it were able to grasp the meanings and gain
      some better understanding of native ways... Tho many don't have the
      insight to understand the cultural significence. But, it was a bold
      attempt at educating, and sharing. I think too, that our younger
      generations may relate and feel a proud connection. Thankfully
      Hallmark made this story available on mainstream TV.

      Sue

      --- In ncanativeeventsandnews@yahoogroups.com, "sal.camarillo"
      <sal.camarillo@v...> wrote:
      > 12/30/2003 - INTERNET
      > by S_Wiebe
      >
      > Buried in the programming burn-offs of the post-Christmas, Pre-New
      Year's television wasteland is ABC's "Dreamkeeper" - a mini-series
      that captures the joy of storytelling and the wonder of life.

      > Old Pete Chasing Horse [August Schellenberg] is somewhere between
      eighty-seven and a hundred years old and feels the end approaching.
      He wants to make it to one last powwow to share the stories he
      learned from his grandfather, so that they might not pass with him.
      Shane Crossing Horse [Eddie Spears] is a troubled young man who is
      so blinded by love that he loses track of everything - including a
      boombox and some money that aren't his.

      > When his mother asks him to drive his grandfather to the powwow,
      Eddie refuses - then he is threatened with bodily harm by the
      minions of the man whose money and boombox he had taken. Naturally,
      Shane decides that driving Grandpa to the powwow is the better
      alternative - especially when his grandfather bribes him with his
      old truck, whimsically nicknamed Many Miles Without Muffler. Before
      long, Shane and Grandpa have left the Pine Ridge Reservation on a
      trip that will change both of their lives.

      > Along the way, Grandpa begins telling Shane stories - legends of
      Coyote, the Trickster; the love of She Crosses Water and the Thunder
      Spirit; how High Horse won Blue Mountain Women in marriage - even
      Tehan, The Red Haired, White Kiowa. The stories are parables of
      honor and love, and describe Indian beliefs and codes of behaviour.
      In spite of himself, Shane is drawn under their spell.

      > "Dreamkeeper" is a work of art that has been consigned to the TV
      desert that exists between Christmas and New Year's, when people are
      celebrating those holidays and not watching a lot of television.
      Considering the wonder and beauty of the miniseries, this is a
      genuine shame.

      > Maybe, ABC felt that not enough people would be interested in a
      mini-series built around the Indian legends [none of the few Indians
      I know ever use the phrase 'Native American' to describe themselves,
      so neither will I] - and of course, the success of a syndicated
      series like "North of 60", or the PBS movie adaptations of Tony
      Hillerman's novels require much smaller audiences to be considered
      hits.

      > Even so, with the work that went into making "Dreamkeeper", the
      research, the casting, the production of the extremely good effects
      sequences, and the near-exquisite resulting finished program, to
      find it buried in such a wasteland is both a pity and an unexpected
      pleasure.

      > While certain concessions have been made for the non-Indian
      audience [the pacing is way too quick to be considered even remotely
      like 'Indian time', for example], there is a dignity
      to "Dreamkeeper" that is exceeded only by its joyful storytelling.
      Clearly, John Fusco, the writer, has found the soul of these people
      and their stories.

      > The effects work is frequently eerie - ranging from the depiction
      the land of Sky Woman and the Thunder Spirit, to a monstrous snake
      that the vision-seeking Eagle Boy must overcome to gain his vision.
      As with most Hallmark productions, the effects, though limited to
      filling the needs of the story, are still very well done, and
      seamlessly integrated into the narrative.

      > The cast is remarkable - the only featured non-Indian is Scott
      Grimes, who plays Tehan - and the ensemble is as good as any and
      better than most. The cinematography is brilliant - catching both
      the majesty of the land, and the dreariness of the rez.

      > "Dreamkeeper" has a look, and feel, that are unique. Steven
      Barron's direction subtly pulls us into the narrative even before
      the effects make it clear that we are in a very different world.
      Occasionally, he slows the pace to reflect the Indian ways, but
      mostly, he keeps things moving along at a pace that keeps non-
      Indians happy - and yet, he manages not to sacrifice any of the
      atmosphere that makes Grandpa's stories, and Shane's voyage of
      discovery, work.

      > Hallmark has produced some fine programs in the past [as well as a
      few stinkers], but "Dreamkeeper" is arguably their finest work to
      date.

      > Final Grade: A
      >
      > EclipseMagazine.com
      >
      > http://www.kumeyaay.com/news/news_detail.html?id=779
      >
      > Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monitory
      gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the
      material for research and educational purposes. This is in
      accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. section 107.

      > http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

      Posted for educational purposes only: The news that is reported is
      not necessarily the viewpoint of Northern CA Native Events and News
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ncanativeeventsandnews/

      Reprinted under the Fair Use Law: Doctrine of international
      copyright law. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Sue Charles
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
        Internet grapevine says DVD of DREAMKEEPER coming in mid-March 2004.
        Didn't say where to find it however. I checked on Amazon.com and
        they had no info either.
        Sue

        -- In ncanativeeventsandnews@yahoogroups.com, teresa martinez
        <tsmith53us@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings;
        > That story was wonderful and I had been waiting for the viewing
        for it had been postponed several times. I am wondering how/when the
        video/DVD will be available. I checked Halmark.com for info and it
        is not available yet. Does anyone have any information? It is also a
        great teaching tool for young ones. My Mother just died so it had
        greater significance for me.
        > Happy New Year everyone!

      • teresa martinez
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004