Nat Ducat: Pre-historic policing and warrior traditions

  • sal.camarillo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2011
      Tossing pebbles in a deep pool of water, I watch the brief splash of disruption followed by ripples. Racing to the bank nearby as though hunting the source of their disruption, ripples wash ashore and dislodge little bits of earth in micro-changes. A bright flake of iron pyrite flutters away beneath the surface. Other ripples radiating out as though fleeing the cause of their instability, dissipating with distance until lost to human sight � though hidden currents remain.

      My thoughts drift to memories of a song, Cuk-u-lin Ha-n, which means Whirlpool with still water/Deep pool without ripples, a place upriver of what became known as Campbell's Creek up by McCloud where Gram grew up. When she sang it, the melody came to my ears in softly circular waves of chikalinhawn, chikalinhawn.

      When Gram sang it, the melody came to my ears in softly circular waves of chikalinhawn, chikalinhawn. As with any good traveling song, my thoughts wander on to the great warrior Lakadowa and his beloved, the maiden Rippling Water, from the Wintu legend of Two Faces.

      Despite his struggles to protect her, she was killed by another man in a fit of jealousy. Lakadowa avenged her death but received a mortal wound in the fierce fight. With the last of his strength, he made a wish that Rippling Water would always be close to the mountain she so loved and that he could stay nearby to guard her. He is there today, on modern-day Castle Crags. The face of an eternal warrior watches over the sleeping maiden on Mt. Shasta, who may yet awaken some day.

      Click the link below to read the rest of the article, use your back button to return to this page:

      <http://www.redding.com/news/2011/aug/28/nat-ducat-pre-historic-policing-and-warrior/>

      Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monitory gain to those who have expressed an interest in receiving the material for research and educational purposes. This is in accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. section 107..