Mary Youngblood of Orangevale CA wins Grammy!

  • Harvest McCampbell <harvest95546@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2003
      I was acquainted with Mary during the years I lived in the Sacramento
      area. Mary grew up as an adopted child in a middle class White family
      in the Sacramento area. (If you ever get a chance to hear her speak,
      she has quite a story.) Mary studied classical flute for many years,
      beginning in her childhood. She eventually lost interest in the
      flute, gained a passionate interest in her heritage and what it meant
      to be Native American.

      She did lots of research and traveling and was reunited with her
      birth family and came to feel most at home around Native people.
      During this time she picked up a Native flute and took to it like she
      was born to play.

      Mary's flute playing is controversial. Some of the flutes she plays
      are not particular to her own heritage. Some are actually considered
      taboo for women to play. I am not going to take a side in that
      debate. Cultural evolves. I am proud and happy that Mary, who felt
      lost for so many years, has found her calling and her place in the
      circle.

      If anyone hears of any Northern CA events where Mary will be
      appearing, please post them here!

      Harvest

      http://www.maryyoungblood.com/