Introduction - moving to Nashville

  • Heidi Rau
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
      Hello ladies!

      I just recently joined the email group and thought I should introduce myself.  My name is Heidi Duncan and I am a New Orleans native.  My husband, John, and I are in the process of relocating to the Middle Tennessee area.  (He arrived this weekend, actually.)  I still have some birth doula clients here in New Orleans as well as other work to finish up, but expect to be "transplanted" by January.

      I began my pursuit of birth work back in 1997 or so, when I dove in headfirst and read everything I could, including most all of the Fensende midwives' listserve emails (anyone remember those)!  I sorted through all of my options and decided that educating and supporting women was where I wanted most to be.  Although I certified with ICEA in childbirth education and perinatal fitness education, I fast learned that I really did NOT like teaching large groups, LOL.  Doula work, on the other hand, has turned out to be my passion and delight!

      So for nearly 10 years I have been serving the women of New Orleans as a Birth Doula and have been an integral part of Community Doulas of New Orleans, our own loose network.  I have also enjoyed investing my time into new doulas, helping them find their way and hopefully sparing them some unnecessary detours in their journey.  I've been inspired by discovering the Nashville Birth Network and the National Birth Network organization and am doing my best to help establish a New Orleans Chapter before I move out of the area.

      I'm looking forward to what the future holds for us in the Middle Tennessee area and hope to become an integral part of the birth community there as well.

      Blessings,
      Heidi

      ...Also known as MRS. DUNCAN!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sH7tviMdg

    • Erin Baker
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
        Welcome Heidi,

        What a pleasure to have you coming into our community!

        Erin Baker, LMT
        Owner Back In Touch Wellness Center
        www.BackInTouchWellness.com
        Co-Leader Nashville Birth Network
        www.PhasesBodywork.com

      • gaylea@mcdoula.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
          Welcome friend :) I've really enjoyed getting to know you already and I think you'll feel right at home here. I'm excited about having your perspective and all you have to offer! Hoping for a smooth transition for you.
          Gaylea

          mcdoula.com ¤ Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

          From: Heidi Rau <expectingnewlife@...>
          Sender: nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:39:02 -0700 (PDT)
          To: <nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [nbnprofessionals] Introduction - moving to Nashville

[...]

        • Lindsey Carr-Ruck
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
            Hello, Heidi! Welcome to the Nashville Birth Network! We're glad to have you here, but I'm sure the N.O. community will miss you once you move.

            See ya in 2011,
            Lindsey Carr-Ruck

            On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Heidi Rau <expectingnewlife@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Kelly Larabie

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                Heidi,
                WELCOME! I have several friends from LA and a very close friend from New Orleans. It will be lovely to meet you! I can't wait to hear your accent! Anyway, I can't wait to hear your stories!
                Micky

                --- In nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Rau <expectingnewlife@...> wrote:

                > Hello ladies!
                >
                > I just recently joined the email group and thought I should introduce myself.
                > My name is Heidi Duncan and I am a New Orleans native. My husband, John, and I
                > are in the process of relocating to the Middle Tennessee area. (He arrived this
                > weekend, actually.) I still have some birth doula clients here in New Orleans
                > as well as other work to finish up, but expect to be "transplanted" by January.
                >
                > I began my pursuit of birth work back in 1997 or so, when I dove in headfirst
                > and read everything I could, including most all of the Fensende midwives'
                > listserve emails (anyone remember those)! I sorted through all of my options
                > and decided that educating and supporting women was where I wanted most to be.
                > Although I certified with ICEA in childbirth education and perinatal fitness
                > education, I fast learned that I really did NOT like teaching large groups,
                > LOL. Doula work, on the other hand, has turned out to be my passion and
                > delight!
                >

                > So for nearly 10 years I have been serving the women of New Orleans as a Birth
                > Doula and have been an integral part of Community Doulas of New Orleans, our own
                > loose network. I have also enjoyed investing my time into new doulas, helping
                > them find their way and hopefully sparing them some unnecessary detours in
                > their journey. I've been inspired by discovering the Nashville Birth Network
                > and the National Birth Network organization and am doing my best to help
                > establish a New Orleans Chapter before I move out of the area.
                >
                > I'm looking forward to what the future holds for us in the Middle Tennessee area
                > and hope to become an integral part of the birth community there as well.
                >
                > Blessings,
                > Heidi

                > ...Also known as MRS. DUNCAN!
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sH7tviMdg

              • Rashell Rice
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                  Welcome Heidi :)  Congratulations on your upcoming move to Nashville.  I look forward to meeting you in 2011!!

                  Rashell

                  --
                  Rashell Rice
                  615*425*9998
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                    Thanks Micky and everyone else, too, for the warm welcome!
                    As for my accent, I am sure I will stick out pretty bad in Tennessee, LOL.

                    ;)
                    Heidi

                    --- In nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com, "mamamicky2002" <micky@...> wrote:

                    > Heidi,
                    > WELCOME! I have several friends from LA and a very close friend from New Orleans. It will be lovely to meet you! I can't wait to hear your accent! Anyway, I can't wait to hear your stories!
                    > Micky

                  • Tracy Good
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                      Heidi,

                      I remember the old Fensende listserve!!!  I started out as a doula in 2001, so that was when Fensende seemed to be beginning to fade away -- and, hey, don't I know you from the big Yahoo doula group that Nikki Macfarland runs???

                      Well, anyway, welcome to Middle TN and the Nashville Birth Network.  Look forward to getting to know you in person -- we should definitely get together when you get to town!!!

                      Tracy Good

[...]

                    • heidi duncan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                        Oh yeah, when I was on fensende's midwives list lurking around, it was in its heyday as they say.  I learned sooooo much there!  The midwives openly discussed all sorts of situations and how they dealt with it.  Very fascinating stuff!

                        I'm not on that yahoo group right now and haven't been in a long time so it most likely isn't me you're thinking of.  I am active on facebook, though!

                        Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

                        Re: [nbnprofessionals] Introduction - moving to Nashville

                      • gentlehandsdoula@live.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
                          Hi Heidi,
                          Welcome to Tennessee! My name is Trakina and I am from surrounding areas near NO, Houma and Thibodaux! I know I been here for 6 yrs and people still mess with me about me accent LOL, though I only been introduce to the birth world this march working on certification to be a birth doula, can't wait to meet you!

                          From: "Heidi" <expectingnewlife@...>
                          Sender: nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:19:02 -0000
                          To: <nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: nbnprofessionals@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: [nbnprofessionals] Re: Introduction - moving to Nashville

                        • MacR1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
                            Welcome Heidi,

                            We are a melting pot. You will hear all kinds of accents, so you
                            should fit right in.

                            Mary Anne