Re: [Nature Recordists] a bit of an odd request...

  • Avocet
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2012
      Santiago,

      Years ago I knew someone who was highly sensitive so I can sympathise.
      I have two suggestions to try but I can't say either will work. It is
      possible that high frequenies may trigger it as well as electronic
      radiation.

      Is it possible to try a cover like a blanket over the speakers to cut
      the higher frequencies and/or grounded metal screens in front of the
      speakers to baffle off any radiation. I don't know if you have fire
      guards where you are, but they are made of fine metal mesh and look
      OK.

      David

      David Brinicombe
      North Devon, UK
      Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
    • Peter Shute
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2012
        I meant to add that although I'm sceptical, I'm not discounting it. I know CFS sufferers are subjected to a lot of unwarranted scepticism.

        Peter Shute

        --------------------------
        Sent using BlackBerry

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28, 2012
          Is it possible for her to use magnetically shielded speakers? I guess I don't
          quite understand the implications of her disease.

          In our 'contemporary' world, you do indeed need an electromagnetic transducer
          of some sort to move the air in order to hear the sound.

          So, no matter how you slice it, you need some electronics somewhere. And a
          source of recorded sound or a radio receiver.

          I know that they make special air-driven headsets for patients in MRI machines
          so that they can listen to music. That would be fine, but again there is an
          electromagnetic transducer located remotely to produce the driven air.

          Perhaps the ideal solution is an old Victrola that is hand cranked. However, I
          don't know if it could be modified to play modern LPs.

          But the Victrola is a completely mechanical device, no electronics.

          Maybe you can be more detailed about what exactly she can be exposed to and how
          far away.

          Is there any electricity in her house, i.e., mains wiring of 110 or 220 VAC?

          Best regards,

          Greg

          ________________________________
[...]

          Cheers,
          Santiago Imberti

        • Santiago Imberti
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2012
            Hi All,
            Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.
            Scepticism is indeed one of the main things they have to deal with. But I bet any sceptic that gets to spend a few days with a ME pacient will soon cast those doubts away. My friend history and links to more info on the disease can be found in
            http://www.cfids.org/about/catalyst-anne.asp
            I'll go back to her with your suggestions and ideas to see how we can go from there. But I having a acouple of questions/comments on your answers:

            >Long horns, plus maybe
            metal fiber clothing?what exactly are these? do you have any link to it?

            >Maybe you can be more detailed about what exactly
            she can be exposed to and how far away.

            >Is there any
            electricity in her house, i.e., mains wiring of 110 or 220 VAC?

            She lives in Stockholm, Sweden so yes to electricity 220. She can be exposed to some of the normal electrical things but for very shorts periods of time. If the exposure is too long she suffers and it is detrimental to its health (hence my initial quest for a way for her to listen to music for more than a few minutes a day). So everything is turned off at the house most of the day.
            In the case of the phone, the signal goes to a transformer for the air pipes that are about 1.5 meters long. Since the electricity on the phone is very low that seems to work all right.
            Ok, that is for now, many thanks to all and I'll be glad to receive more coments or ideas.
            Santiago

          • Mike Feldman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2012
              On 29 Jul, 2012, at 6:40 AM, Santiago Imberti wrote:

              > > Long horns, plus maybe metal fiber clothing?
              > what exactly are these? do you have any link to it?

              Long horns so she's far away from the voice coils.
              Down about the middle of this page:

              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2844310-biggest-
              speaker-ever

              Can't find original of this:

              http://t2.gstatic.com/images?
              q=tbn:ANd9GcSX_IJgNlpSPfBzdLugG1L6RP-3YK1nhuvE_vLyiVzyK5EEad3T9r6toYQ

              As far as the serious part of my reply, there are fabrics made
              for electromagnet shielding, for example by these guys:

              http://www.tibtech.com/index.php

              -- Mike
            • Peter Shute
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2012
                If it's ok for a phone to be 1.5m away, surely she can tolerate speakers, say, 3m away? I thought phones operated on about 50V, so not that low.

                Does she have any way of measuring EMF levels? If not then I think getting a meter might be the best way to proceed. Guessing what levels there might be based on one's perception of how much power a device uses is probably not going to lead to the most efficient solutions.

                Peter Shute

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
                  Thanks Peter, I will ask her and come back to you.
                  Santiago

                  To: naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pshute@...
                  Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:16:51 +1000
                  Subject: RE: [Nature Recordists] RE: a bit of an odd request...

                  If it's ok for a phone to be 1.5m away, surely she can tolerate speakers, say, 3m away? I thought phones operated on about 50V, so not that low.

                  Does she have any way of measuring EMF levels? If not then I think getting a meter might be the best way to proceed. Guessing what levels there might be based on one's perception of how much power a device uses is probably not going to lead to the most efficient solutions.

                  Peter Shute

                • Dan Dugan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
                    > Scepticism is indeed one of the main things they have to deal with. But I bet any sceptic that gets to spend a few days with a ME pacient will soon cast those doubts away.

                    If I had to do that, I'd be doing blind testing on the subject to keep my own sanity. UC Berkeley tests on people claiming "multiple chemical sensitivity" found that there was no physical basis, i.e. they produced symptoms when they thought the stimulus was present, not when it was actually present. YMMV.

                    -Dan